SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

rotations

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jdr55, Apr 18, 2007.

1. jdr55

jdr55 10+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    How predictable is the work that one does in 3rd and 4th year rotations? Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before, but I searched and nothing came up. Let's say I wanted to dedicate 3 hours per week, every week, to something else in the evening. Would I be able to consistently have that time off? Can a knowledgeable person please discuss the relative time commitment of each rotation? Thank you :).

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2004
    In third year it's fairly predictable that you absolutely won't have a consistant 3 hours per week every week to devote to anything other than sleep. This is notoriously the hardest year you will have in med school, time-wise (particularly during surgery, medicine and OB rotations). You will not be working 9-5 during much of that year. 4th year may be more manageable as you can pick electives, but during part of the year you will be interviewing for residency spots, and if you are choosing to go into a long houred field you may be choosing harder electives.

4. Droopy Snoopy

Droopy Snoopy 7+ Year Member

Apr 3, 2006
    The Alamo
    Check out panda bear's blog on this. He gives a pretty good breakdown on each rotation and sub-rotation, as well as a bunch of other interesting and informative stuff. Basically though surgery and OB are the worst, stuff like psych and fam med are the best. While medical school is an intense environment that soaks up a lot of your time and energy, it's not like you're travelling to a different planet. You are able to do things that are important to you, whether it be keeping a pet, doing research, working out, even prn employment if you've got training in something like nursing. The time constraints during 3rd year are the tightest though.

One thing to keep in mind is that all of us have individual circumstances, and I would hesitate to commit firmly to something this far in advance. You may well come out of 2nd year with poor grades or a new child, something forcing you to reprioritize a bit.

5. kypdurron5

kypdurron5 10+ Year Member

Dec 3, 2005