Rutgers vs Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jg4318

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was accepted to these schools and wanted to get your opinions on which of these two is the better school. I’m instate for Rutgers but could potentially get instate at Temple after one year.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bruhhh chill lol

There is an abrasive connotation about telling someone to chill - dont be that guy. I heard some stuff about a specific admin person that really reflects badly, but Temple is great either ways.

Reactions: 1 user
Rutgers. I go to Rutgers for undergrad and I can tell you I feel strong in the sciences after having gone through their bio curriculum. Perhaps that is an indication as to how good their dental curriculum is.

There is an abrasive connotation about telling someone to chill - dont be that guy. I heard some stuff about a specific admin person that really reflects badly, but Temple is great either ways.
I don't mean any offense, but I know for a fact that you're not a dude based on this response, for the simple fact that guys tell each other to chill every single day, and it's never personal or an attack.

I think there are just certain phrases/actions which get misinterpreted and start arguments for no good reason.

I say things that piss off my female friends sometimes, just like it frustrates me when my female friends do certain things (compliment people when they don't actually mean it, tell me something isn't my fault to be nice even though it is). But it doesn't make sense to try to "correct" each other if these are normal, well-meaning social behaviors within their group.

Dudes mean well when they say "calm down", and I think a lot of pointless fights get started this way.

I think in cases like these, a lot of intra-communication between these groups is hampered by lacking understanding of the typical inter-communication within.

Sorry for the derail - I'm just big on closing communication gaps.

As for the schools, if I'm not mistaken, Rutgers is moderately cheaper and they have similar reputations, so that's how i'd lean, but I'm ignorant on the programs themselves.

Last edited:
I don't mean any offense, but I know for a fact that you're not a dude based on this response.

So take this as you will, but I think it's worth reaching across the aisle here in the name of understanding - Guys tell each other to chill every single day, and it's never personal or an attack.

It frustrates me when my female friends do certain things (compliment people when they don't actually mean it, tell me something isn't my fault to be nice even though it is), but then I realize that trying to "correct them" doesn't make sense because that that's how they socialize with each other and they mean well.

I think in cases like these, a lot of intra-communication between these groups is hampered by lacking understanding of the typical inter-communication within.

Sorry for the derail - I'm just big on closing communication gaps.

As for the schools, if I'm not mistaken, Rutgers is moderately cheaper and they have similar reputations, so that's how i'd lean, but I'm ignorant on the programs themselves.

6 paragraphs? I can tell you're not a guy because you sound triggered. It frustrates me when women do this. Jk ;) that would be kinda douchy, no?

6 paragraphs? I can tell you're not a guy because you sound triggered. It frustrates me when women do this. Btw we should have better communication between sexes so you should be the one not triggered.
I was exceedingly polite and trying to ascribe the best intentions to everyone involved, and you're trying to take personal shots at me. You're willing to reprimand someone like a child for a behavior you don't like which is completely unremarkable in the male world, but you bristle like this when someone even hints that there may be some parallel traits.

I think you're missing the mark with your sarcasm. You're making it sound like I'm telling the other gender which of their behaviors is unacceptable; I only brought up those behaviors because it would be ignorant of me to do what you did, which is to chastise someone like a child for behaving that way.

There is no abrasive intent in telling someone to chill, just like there is no malice behind the actions I described, which is where benefit of the doubt comes into play. If you're not interested in the benefit of the doubt, that's your call.

The word "trigger" is meaningless in this context. I'm not a war veteran, and neither are you, presumably. There is no PTSD to diagnose. I'm trying to have a rational discussion about motivations behind actions and giving benefit of the doubt, and possibly the single most common inter-gender misunderstanding in our culture. If that is tough for you to bear, then you are welcome to ignore me.

I was exceedingly polite and trying to ascribe the best intentions to everyone involved, and you're trying to take personal shots at me. You're willing to reprimand someone like a child for a behavior you don't like which is completely unremarkable in the male world, but you bristle like this when someone even hints that there may be some parallel traits.

Interpret that according to gender stereotype however you wish.

The word "trigger" is meaningless in this context. I'm not a war veteran, and neither are you, presumably. There is no PTSD to diagnose. I'm trying to have a rational discussion about motivations behind actions and giving benefit of the doubt, and maybe the single most common inter-gender misunderstanding in our culture. If that is tough for you to bear, then you are welcome to ignore me.

No offense but are you a woman? I hate when females get into their feelings. Btw i'm being really nice here are you're like a petulant child. = You.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to drop it, because this isn't what this forum is for. I never said that there is any problem with women and sensitivity.

I said that guys and girls have certain phrases that they use *entirely* differently, and "chill out" is one of them, so I asked you to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

This notion seems to be soul-rendingly unbearable for you, so I won't add to the torture.

Also, pro-tip, Italian words almost never start with "k".

Ciao.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm going to drop it, because this isn't what this forum is for. I never said that there is any problem with women and sensitivity.

I said that guys and girls have certain phrases that they use *entirely* differently, and "chill out" is one of them, so I asked you to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

This notion seems to be soul-rendingly unbearable for you, so I won't add to the torture.

Also, pro-tip, Italian words almost never start with "k".

Ciao.

Are you correcting grammer of forum commenters? I hate it when my male friends do that. Are you a guy? Good job kapeechh?

Are you correcting grammer of forum commenters? I hate it when my male friends do that. Are you a guy? Good job kapeechh?
As a counselor in a former life, I anticipate many decades of you and your partner talking past each other over this and other basic/relationship 101 communication errors. On the flip side, you're certainly good at letting things go and getting over offense ;)

Reactions: 1 users
As a counselor in a former life, I anticipate many decades of you and your partner talking past each other over this and other basic/relationship 101 communication errors. On the flip side, you're certainly good at letting things go and getting over offense ;)

1. "I'm going to drop it, because this isn't what this forum is for".

2. Proceeds to diss random people online and their relationships.

3. Was formerly a counselor.

This comedy writes itself.

1. "I'm going to drop it, because this isn't what this forum is for".

2. Proceeds to diss random people online and their relationships.

3. Was formerly a counselor.

This comedy writes itself.
If you have patients who refuse to brush visit after visit and you tell them "If you keep this up, you're gonna lose your teeth", that's not a diss. That's a professional opinion that they need to hear. Same thing with my response to your ease of offense/communication issues.

Chill out. :)

If you have patients who refuse to brush visit after visit and you tell them "If you keep this up, you're gonna lose your teeth", that's not a diss. That's a professional opinion that they need to hear. Same thing with my response to your ease of offense/communication issues.

Chill out.

Still didn't drop it eh. It's important as a future dentist to say something and follow through like when you say you'll drop it then write more. And also to not attack your patients personal romantic relations when you're feelings get hurt. You really should work on your communication issues.

Chill. And in going to drop it and unlike you, I have self control to follow through and not attack you personally.

Still didn't drop it eh. It's important as a future dentist to say something and follow through like when you say you'll drop it then write more. And also to not attack your patients personal romantic relations when you're feelings get hurt. You really should work on your communication issues.

Chill. And in going to drop it and unlike you, I have self control to follow through and not attack you personally.
Great! I'll hold you to it. You've certainly proven in this thread to be the more calm, understanding, and reasonable person than I am. :D

And are we now agreeing that "chill" is not abrasive language? Glad to hear it!

Great! I'll hold you to it. You've certainly proven in this thread to be the more calm, understanding, and reasonable person than I am. :D

And are we now agreeing that "chill" is not abrasive language? Glad to hear it!

Well I'll disappoint you like how you did me. Why do you goad other people? By starting off stereotyping a gender to describe a pretty calm and collected reply to someone saying something I don't like, you won't ever get 'through' to anyone. I sarcastically replied how starting off with "are you a girl?" And continuing with "I hate when girls do this..." Sets up an opposition. I thought reflecting your words might make you realize that. You didn't.

Then to start delving into how my personal relationships will suffer and how I should address future patients is really uneeded.

You just goad people and I fed the troll in the end. Don't worry about me, my relationship is fine and I am great with patients. Stop finding new ways to be rude.

Well I'll disappoint you like how you did me. Why do you goad other people? By starting off stereotyping a gender to describe a pretty calm and collected reply to someone saying something I don't like, you won't ever get 'through' to anyone. I sarcastically replied how starting off with "are you a girl?" And continuing with "I hate when girls do this..." Sets up an opposition. I thought reflecting your words might make you realize that. You didn't.

Then to start delving into how my personal relationships will suffer and how I should address future patients is really uneeded.

You just goad people and I fed the troll in the end. Don't worry about me, my relationship is fine and I am great with patients. Stop finding new ways to be rude.
I'm completely aware of what you were attempting to do. If you believe that men and women have no natural behavioral differences, you shouldn't be in the sciences any more than a flat-earther. All mammals have different responses to stimulus by gender, and I was trying to save everybody trouble by pointing out an incredibly common misunderstanding that causes a lot of dumb arguments. You need to understand these differences to be a good marriage counselor, doctor, etc.

If I had a buck for every couple I met who had a dumb blow up over a phrase/action which is totally benign to one gender and fighting words to another, I wouldn't have to spend all this effort on dental school, cuz I'd be a millionaire already.

Simply pointing out that men and women use certain phrases different ways and advocating that you guys give each other the benefit of the doubt has caused you to have the full-fledged meltdown we see above. That massive overreaction is what you should reflect on.

I'm completely aware of what you were attempting to do. If you believe that men and women have no natural behavioral differences, you shouldn't be in the sciences any more than a flat-earther. All mammals have different responses to stimulus by gender, and I was trying to save everybody trouble by pointing out an incredibly common misunderstanding that causes a lot of dumb arguments. You need to understand these differences to be a good marriage counselor, doctor, etc.

If I had a buck for every couple I met who had a dumb blow up over a phrase/action which is totally benign to one gender and fighting words to another, I wouldn't have to spend all this effort on dental school, cuz I'd be a millionaire already.

Simply pointing out that men and women use certain phrases different ways and advocating that you guys give each other the benefit of the doubt has caused you to have the full-fledged meltdown we see above. That massive overreaction is what you should reflect on.

Your words are ridiculously rude. Even now. Full fledged meltdown, dumb blow up, ..etc. Trust me, you should reflect on attacking people's personal relationships because your feelings got hurt. You responded to others reacting to you being annoying by being vile and attacking them personally. You can ignore this point all you want. But I would suggest you reflect on it so that you don't attack your future patients like this.

Your words are ridiculously rude. Even now. Full fledged meltdown, dumb blow up, ..etc. Trust me, you should reflect on attacking people's personal relationships because your feelings got hurt. You responded to others reacting to you being annoying by being vile and attacking them personally. You can ignore this point all you want. But I would suggest you reflect on it so that you don't attack your future patients like this.
My feelings aren't hurt in the slightest. If you'd like to talk over email or skype or whatever, I'd be happy to work out any misunderstandings. My pulse is the same as when we started the conversation. On the other hand, my experience tells me that you're highly agitated. The "dumb blow-up" comment wasn't even slightly aimed at you. I was talking about how couples bicker over misunderstandings. The fact that you are looking so hard to find offense in everything says it all. Again, I'm not insulting you any more than a dentist warning their patients not to skip brushing. The way you're reacting does not project well for future clear-ups of miscommunication.

My feelings aren't hurt in the slightest. If you'd like to talk over email or skype or whatever, I'd be happy to work out any misunderstandings. My pulse is the same as when we started the conversation. On the other hand, my experience tells me that you're highly agitated. The "dumb blow-up" comment wasn't even slightly aimed at you. I was talking about how couples bicker over misunderstandings. The fact that you are looking so hard to find offense in everything says it all. Again, I'm not insulting you any more than a dentist warning their patients not to skip brushing.

You literally ignored me saying it's not nice to imply how my personal relationship is 4x which is insulting. If you truly believe that you weren't being insulting there not much else to say. You do you.

Last edited:
You literally ignored me saying it's not nice to imply how my personal relationship is 4x which is insulting. Then imply im in a meltdown and say you're not insulting me. If you believe that you weren't being insulting there there not much else I can say. You do you.
I'm telling you that if you don't give people the benefit of the doubt, your relationships are going to suffer. There's nothing even remotely controversial about that.

And you're not interested in genuine counselor/communication advice, so I've started to switch to everyday advice I'd give a pal:

So from that angle, if what you're having isn't a meltdown, I don't know what is. Why does it make me the bad guy if you're having a tantrum and I point it out? I thought we'd decided to be gender-neutral here, so I'm not treating you any differently than a guy. When guys act up, we tell them to take some criticism and improve. If they cry and tell me that I've insulted them, nobody listens.

I am not going to lie... I read through this entire argument/conversation and I was very amused that it kept going, even after both parties said repeatedly they were "dropping it".

Very entertaining but not what this thread was for. Feel free to continue this conversation via PM?

Reactions: 3 users
I am not going to lie... I read through this entire argument/conversation and I was very amused that it kept going, even after both parties said repeatedly they were "dropping it".

Very entertaining but not what this thread was for. Feel free to continue this conversation via PM?
Yeah. Sorry. I extend the offer if she wants to continue via some other medium, but I will actually bow out this time.

So have the closing salvo, if you like, @amariesa. Both of us have proven my point over and over and over.

Yeah. Sorry. I extend the offer if she wants to continue via some other medium, but I will actually bow out this time.

So have the closing salvo, if you like, @amariesa. Both of us have proven my point over and over and over.

"Both of us have proven my point over and over and over." Wow, you're just not a nice guy huh. Unsolicited advice, remarks of other peoples personal life and advice on how to treat their partner, the holier than thou attitude... honestly, you do you man.

"Both of us have proven my point over and over and over." Wow, you're just not a nice guy huh. Unsolicited advice, remarks of other peoples personal life and advice on how to treat their partner, the holier than thou attitude... honestly, you do you man.

AMERIESA:A you just destroyed the purpose of this thread.

Coming from someone who interviewed at both schools and got rejected from both, I enjoyed my time at Rutgers much more

There was meant to be a hint of sarcasm in that statement. I’m pretty biased and loved my time at Temple. I also loved Philly. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend it, but I’d always choose the cheapest school at this point. Seeing your loan balance at the end of 4 years really puts things into perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oops, sorry I mistook it as you saying it as though its a known statement. Both are great options and OP should be happy to have both. I agree always choose the cheapest option.