RVU-COM (Rocky Vista - Colorado) Interview Discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ha! Yeah seriously. Our heme is better than your heme :laugh:!

Although the historical sites and established east-coast "culture" is very interesting, too. I lived in Maryland for about 7 years, and I really enjoyed going to Gettysburg, Salem, the Washington D.C. "Mall", and all the other historical things to do. The east coast is rich in early American history. You're in a gold mine!

But we are in a powder mine!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my acceptance call on Monday, yay.

interviewing on 22nd, earliest I have free. Kinda late :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't make anything else work earlier? Your coming from out of town, right?

i already have 2 interviews before that, and it's really hard to miss school being a full time student, etc. I've already missed a lot from other interviews, etc

We'll see what happens.

I've been working at the University of Nebraska Medical Center for the last 5 years in Omaha doing research on birth defects; what about you.

I've been working at the University of Nebraska Medical Center for the last 5 years in Omaha doing research on birth defects; what about you.

I'm a Colorado kid. Have been here for 20+ years. I'm super excited to have a brand new medical school in my backyard.
Is RVU your first choice?

i already have 2 interviews before that, and it's really hard to miss school being a full time student, etc. I've already missed a lot from other interviews, etc

We'll see what happens.

Hang in there. I can understand about missing school.

Where were your other two interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you decided on your top choice, or are you keeping an open mind?

definitely keeping an open mind. I love everything I hear about RVU (location, etc) but I'm worried about how new it is....

Hello all! I just wanted to drop in and say hi to all my fellow RVUCOM Class of 2012 classmates! I'm NMRGUY's friend that he mentioned, and he actually told me about this thread. I have to say if the rest of our class is as outgoing, happy, up-beat, and friendly as all of you then I can't wait for July!

Hello all! I just wanted to drop in and say hi to all my fellow RVUCOM Class of 2012 classmates! I'm NMRGUY's friend that he mentioned, and he actually told me about this thread. I have to say if the rest of our class is as outgoing, happy, up-beat, and friendly as all of you then I can't wait for July!

What's up SoCal...how's the weather out there? Welcome to the official RVU class thread. I have a feeling that those of us on SDN are a good representation of the rest of our classmates. I think we will be in great shape in July.
Do all you fun folks know about our facebook group?

Welcome to the group! Congrats on your acceptance!

What's up SoCal...how's the weather out there? Welcome to the official RVU class thread. I have a feeling that those of us on SDN are a good representation of the rest of our classmates. I think we will be in great shape in July.
Do all you fun folks know about our facebook group?

The weathers fantastic, 72 and sunny today...thats probably what i'm gonna miss most about this place, i'm not a big fan of the cold haha. And yeah, I just joined the facebook group too! And hey, have fun at the happy hour everyone! i wish i could be there to join in the festivities, someone have one for me yeah? We should plan on making that a somewhat regular thing throughout the year...i'm sure we'll all be in need of a little unwhinding at the end of the week haha

The weathers fantastic, 72 and sunny today...thats probably what i'm gonna miss most about this place, i'm not a big fan of the cold haha. And yeah, I just joined the facebook group too! And hey, have fun at the happy hour everyone! i wish i could be there to join in the festivities, someone have one for me yeah? We should plan on making that a somewhat regular thing throughout the year...i'm sure we'll all be in need of a little unwhinding at the end of the week haha

Yeah buddy, you better start collecting some cold weather gear. We've been freezing our a$$es off here this last couple of months. Enjoy it while you can!
I think GG will probably throw one back for you. :laugh: You can make it up to her when you get here this summer.

So what part of town is everyone thinking about moving to? I don't know the area well and would appreciate some input from the locals.

So what part of town is everyone thinking about moving to? I don't know the area well and would appreciate some input from the locals.

I'm thinking of moving closer toward Parker - if you look in Parker, Centennial, Englewood, Cherry Creek school district, DTC, or some parts of Aurora you will be closest to the school. I personally am looking into Parker, Centennial, and Englewood. Are you looking to rent or buy? Roommates? What's your plan?

Hey Candi...how are you girl? I'm stoked to hear that you will be attending RVU. Congratulations on your acceptance! I told you not to worry about it. :thumbup: Have you joined our facebook group?

Hey liz, glad to see you made it back from your trip safely! I am incredibly excited that my applying to medical school process is over with (and relieved). I canceled my last interview just because I am happy with Rocky Vista and I don't want to go anywhere else. yay! I have joined the facebook group...

Also, count me in for the meet and greet! woo! If anyone will be coming from the fort collins/loveland/greeley area and wants to car pool, let me know!

For the meet and greet, are we all just bringing our lovely selves? or are we bringing significant others/kiddos (if applicable)?

Congrats to those that just got accepted!!! I can't wait for July :) We should plan to do something fun the weekend before orientation. Introduce the out-of-staters to the beautiful mountains or something equally exciting.

WOOO I am so excited (I can't stop saying that). haha

I was wondering that as well... Although I went to school in CO, I am an AZ girl and I do not know the Denver area too well.
I definitely think that I am going to want to eventually find roommates.

Hey liz, glad to see you made it back from your trip safely! I am incredibly excited that my applying to medical school process is over with (and relieved). I canceled my last interview just because I am happy with Rocky Vista and I don't want to go anywhere else. yay! I have joined the facebook group...

Also, count me in for the meet and greet! woo! If anyone will be coming from the fort collins/loveland/greeley area and wants to car pool, let me know!

For the meet and greet, are we all just bringing our lovely selves? or are we bringing significant others/kiddos (if applicable)?

Congrats to those that just got accepted!!! I can't wait for July :) We should plan to do something fun the weekend before orientation. Introduce the out-of-staters to the beautiful mountains or something equally exciting.

WOOO I am so excited (I can't stop saying that). haha

Hey Candi...my SO will not be attending for the meet and greet. But you all should bring yours.

As for the week before orientation, I have a some family coming into town and we are planning a camping adventure at Cherry Creek State Park. There is a big fireworks show that Greenwood Village puts on every year the last Saturday in July. The timing is great and we watch it every year.

Don't worry, I'm crazy excited too!!!! Keep saying it, you earned it.

Okay here is an idea that I generally take people from out of town on.

I love to go up to Golden midmorning go rock climbing ( I have enough gear for about 6 people but if we swap harnesses I can generally accomadate much larger.) on either the mesa or my favorite place on Mt Zion both can have very easy routes for beginners. The view of downtown is great from up there. Then I like to finish early head down to golden maybe get a bite to eat at Woody's and take a free brewery tour of Coors. I think this allows a lot of time for talk and trust building along with some well earned stress relief at the end of the day. We could even hit downtown afterwards, not really my scene but I am up for a little EtOH after a day on the rocks...which reminds me Red Rocks is always cool to take some peeps by which is near there.

After much deliberation I've decided that RVU will be a great place to be! I'm psyched and looking forward to meeting everyone. I live up in the Fort, but can't make it down tomorrow night. Have fun and when it happens again I'll be sure to be there!

Thanks to everyone posting, reading through and hearing the positivity and excitement from everyone made this decision a little easier. If anyone is worried about the financial aspect do go talk with them. I realized it really wasn't as bad as I projected it to be and now I am able to stay Colorado! So, although I wont be there tomorrow I'll be having a little celebration up here as well...

After much deliberation I've decided that RVU will be a great place to be! I'm psyched and looking forward to meeting everyone. I live up in the Fort, but can't make it down tomorrow night. Have fun and when it happens again I'll be sure to be there!

Thanks to everyone posting, reading through and hearing the positivity and excitement from everyone made this decision a little easier. If anyone is worried about the financial aspect do go talk with them. I realized it really wasn't as bad as I projected it to be and now I am able to stay Colorado! So, although I wont be there tomorrow I'll be having a little celebration up here as well...

Congrats on your decision! I'm stoked that you are choosing RVU. I think it will be THE place to be. I can't wait to meet you in July! Take care in the meantime and we will be sure to tip one back for you tommorow.
Peace

Libo,

The rock climbing sounds awesome. You'll have to take me up sometime if you don't mind. I've been hiking plenty but never properly been climbing. Looks like we're going to have an amazing class if this is a good representation of the people that will be attending.

Okay here is an idea that I generally take people from out of town on.

I love to go up to Golden midmorning go rock climbing ( I have enough gear for about 6 people but if we swap harnesses I can generally accomadate much larger.) on either the mesa or my favorite place on Mt Zion both can have very easy routes for beginners. The view of downtown is great from up there. Then I like to finish early head down to golden maybe get a bite to eat at Woody's and take a free brewery tour of Coors. I think this allows a lot of time for talk and trust building along with some well earned stress relief at the end of the day. We could even hit downtown afterwards, not really my scene but I am up for a little EtOH after a day on the rocks...which reminds me Red Rocks is always cool to take some peeps by which is near there.

Whoo Hoo!! I've got my own gear and you can count me in!!! :)

YAY!!!!!!!! I don't think you'll be disappointed! I'm bummed you cant make it for the happy hour, though! We'll have others when school gets closer and more people start moving here!

definitely keeping an open mind. I love everything I hear about RVU (location, etc) but I'm worried about how new it is....

I can understand your reservations. I'm sure that during your interview, your questions will be addressed thoroughly. Hopefully your picture will become clearer after.:thumbup:

hey guys... looks like I am not going to make it tonight. I got called into work. Sorry... but I will definitely join in next time! :(

Hey Guys have fun tonight. Sorry, I won't be able to make it.

hey guys... looks like I am not going to make it tonight. I got called into work. Sorry... but I will definitely join in next time! :(

Whhhaaaatttt???? That whole work thing always gets in the way doesn't it. Just think in 6 short months you can blame it on medical school.:laugh:

We'll miss you tonight.

Does anyone know how many spots are left? I have my interview friday and wish I had completed everything earlier. I hope there are spots that it is not down to the last couple :(

thanks

Have you had any word yet toot???:luck:

hey all....i have 3 questions

1. how long did it take to hear back for an interview after your app was complete?
  2. what is this financial situation everyone has talked about? can we not get loans because it is a new school?
  3. of those that have interviewed.....or anyone else....any idea how full the class is as of now?
thanks!

I totally agree! Plus state of the art technology!

hey all....i have 3 questions

1. how long did it take to hear back for an interview after your app was complete?
  2. what is this financial situation everyone has talked about? can we not get loans because it is a new school?
  3. of those that have interviewed.....or anyone else....any idea how full the class is as of now?
thanks!

Hey fortima...welcome to the RVU thread

I received my invitation to interview within a week of becoming complete. I applied during the month of November, so presumably the class wasn't as full as it is now.

Since RVU is a brand new institution not affiliated with any other school, it will not be eligible for federally funded student loans until at least two years from now at the earliest. However, you would be able to pick up funding from private lenders such as Sallie Mae or Nelnet, for example. You also could take advantage of military scholorships.

The last firm answer as to how full our class is came back in December. At that time we were 2/3 full, 100/150. I suggest you contact Kerri Eichwald in the Admissions Department if you have any questions.

Are you in the process of applying to RVU for the class of 2012? Where are you from?

1. Very quickly...within a week of receiving my supp. Applied in Dec, interviewed in Jan, waitlisted shortly thereafter. I think most have had similar timeframes

2. The school will not be eligible for any federally sponsored financial aid until the school either: graduates it's first class OR incorporates another program into the school...such as a nursing or PA program. At my interview the admin stated that next on the agenda was a nursing program...but they were having a difficult time finding instructors (this is a very common problem for nursing schools...not simply a RVU issue) Until the school has federal approval via those methods, students are also not able to take out a public health service scholarships (forgive me in that I don't know what these are actually called) although upon graduation you will be eligible to get loan repayment by participating in a public health service program...rural, under-served target area for example. You CAN qualify for all of the military programs though.

They were very upfront about the fin. aid situation and essentially told us that although they anticipate federal eligibility within a year or two (because of a nursing program addition) simple reality dictates that you consider and prepare for the possibility that there will not be federal loan eligibility for students matriculating in initial COM class.

3. They told us...(I interviewed 1/15) that they were...at that time...interviewing about 9% of their total applicants (around 2000) as of that date. I don't think they gave specific acceptance numbers but told us that most of the acceptance offers they sent out actually had put down a seat deposit. As far as lifestyle...Denver is a very nice location for a medical school...and I can see how a number of people would put down a deposit when given the chance. It'll be interesting to see how many give up their acceptances and go somewhere else...I guess I'm personally hoping it's a lot as I'm waitlisted and wanting to attend.

Hey kids, how did the meet and greet go?
I am bummed that I couldn't make it... when the docs at my lab tell me to jump, I say "how high?"
But i suppose there is always next time...

:)

Hey all! SO sorry I couldn't make it on Saturday! I was out having an agility class with my dog, and he got bit in the face by another dog. So to make a long story short, I had to take him in to the emergency vet for stitches, and couldn't make it. We need to try again! I really wanted to meet you all! But mommy duty called. I am so bummed... :(

Hey kids, how did the meet and greet go?
I am bummed that I couldn't make it... when the docs at my lab tell me to jump, I say "how high?"
But i suppose there is always next time...

:)

It was great, libo, GG and I met up and had some cocktails and got to chat some. Don't worry though, you will get enough of us over the next couple of years!
Take care!

Hey all! SO sorry I couldn't make it on Saturday! I was out having an agility class with my dog, and he got bit in the face by another dog. So to make a long story short, I had to take him in to the emergency vet for stitches, and couldn't make it. We need to try again! I really wanted to meet you all! But mommy duty called. I am so bummed... :(

Jeez...that isn't good. Is everything okay?

We will be sure to let you know the next time that a get together happens. It will be great to meet you, whenever we get the chance.

Jeez...that isn't good. Is everything okay?

We will be sure to let you know the next time that a get together happens. It will be great to meet you, whenever we get the chance.

Yeah, he just got a cut on his eye, and on the inside of his eyelid. It looked worse than it actually was, but scared me half to death. And now it's all swollen, so he looks like a gremlin. But he's still cute!! We'll have to get together sometime before school starts definitely! I can't wait to meet you all!

Yeah, he just got a cut on his eye, and on the inside of his eyelid. It looked worse than it actually was, but scared me half to death. And now it's all swollen, so he looks like a gremlin. But he's still cute!! We'll have to get together sometime before school starts definitely! I can't wait to meet you all!

Does he have to wear one of those cones?