Sackler 2010 Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maji

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going on what I can remember about who matched where for all of those interested. This is not the complete list. Everyone in the class got a job for next year. Only a couple had to scramble, but they were successful. It is one of the best Sackler matches, and I am proud of my entire class. :D

Internal Medicine - Lenox hill (ny), St. Lukes, Long Island Jewish, maimonodes, allegheny (pitt), Staten Island, Beth Israel, Einstein Monte, cedars sinai LA
Obgyn - Einstein, Sinai Baltimore, LIJ, St. Lukes NYC
Peds-Neuro - UPMC
Surg Prelim - Marmoth ? jersey, Denver, and DC, Northshore LIJ
Neurology - penn state, tulane
Urology - UCLA
Orthopedic Surgery - Einstein Monte
Ophthalmology - Case Western
Anesthesia - UConn
Family Medicine - Uconn
Pediatrics - LIJ, Uconn, Childrens Hospital LA, Mt. Sinai, Einstein Jacobi
Psychiatry - U Colorado, UTHSC San antonio, U hawaii, Mt Sinai, Beth Israel, SUNY Downstate
Pathology - UMass, UWisconsin
Radiology - Long Island (forgot)
General Surgery - Buffalo, UMDNJ
Emergency Medicine - Beaumont michigan, Jefferson in Philly, Mt. Sinai, St Lukes, metropolitan NY, Las Vegas

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you forgot internal at cedars sinai in los angeles!

This is going on what I can remember about who matched where for all of those interested. This is not the complete list. Everyone in the class got a job for next year. Only a couple had to scramble, but they were successful. It is one of the best Sackler matches, and I am proud of my entire class. :D

Internal Medicine - Lenox hill (ny), St. Lukes, Long Island Jewish, maimonodes, allegheny (pitt), Staten Island, Beth Israel, Einstein Monte
Obgyn - Einstein, Sinai Baltimore, LIJ
Peds-Neuro - UPMC
Surg Prelim - Marmoth ? jersey, Denver, and DC, Northshore LIJ
Neurology - penn state, tulane
Urology - UCLA
Orthopedic Surgery - Einstein Monte
Ophthalmology - Case Western
Anesthesia - UConn
Family Medicine - Uconn
Pediatrics - LIJ, Uconn, Childrens Hospital LA, Mt. Sinai, Einstein Jacobi
Psychiatry - U Colorado, UTHSC San antonio, U hawaii, Mt Sinai, Beth Israel
Pathology - UMass, UWisconsin
Radiology - Long Island (forgot)
General Surgery - Buffalo, UMDNJ
Emergency Medicine - Beaumont michigan, Jefferson in Philly, Mt. Sinai, St Lukes, metropolitan NY, Las Vegas

I have recently been accepted into Sackler for the class of 2014 and am very excited about the program. There is one thing though that makes me concerned, which I hope somebody(s) can shed some light on...

Looking at the match lists for the past few years, I could see that students match into very good residency programs. However, very few actually match into the more demanding, popular residency programs such as derm, ENT, anesthesiology, etc . Have any recent Sackler graduates matched into some of the especially competitive residency U.S. programs or is that simply unheard of coming off as an FMG?? I would love to hear a response from some students that have been at the institution such as 4th year students or alumni. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an IMG but not at Sackler. Definitely don't expect derm as an IMG. This will be virtually closed off as well as some other fields. BUT, Anesthesiology is a definite possibility. Sackler grads tend to match better than most IMG's. There are several reasons for this, but alumni connections is one of the reasons.

I have friends at Sackler and all I can say is that I've heard very good things. Tel-Aviv University is a fantastic institution. It's true that some fields are virtually closed off so if you're dead set on derm, it's not a good idea to go. If you're the type of person that can fit into many types of fields, I think it would be an excellent decision. Plus, Tel-Aviv is a very nice city ;)!

I have recently been accepted into Sackler for the class of 2014 and am very excited about the program. There is one thing though that makes me concerned, which I hope somebody(s) can shed some light on...

Looking at the match lists for the past few years, I could see that students match into very good residency programs. However, very few actually match into the more demanding, popular residency programs such as derm, ENT, anesthesiology, etc . Have any recent Sackler graduates matched into some of the especially competitive residency U.S. programs or is that simply unheard of coming off as an FMG?? I would love to hear a response from some students that have been at the institution such as 4th year students or alumni. Thanks.

Hey I am going to Sackler as well and had many of the same concerns as you. I got into a number of DO schools and in general applied to DO schools because they had their own match and I figured I'd have a better shot at matching into one of these prestigious fields. However, I realized that amongst many other things, that I prefer the MD and I think Sackler is a much better education than any DO school. That being said, I think from Sackler, unless you are well-connected (which I hear is often the case) you can pretty much forget about matching Dermatology or any of the surgical sub-specialties (Ortho, Urology, Plastics, Neurosurg, ENT, etc.). You have to remember that these fields are very difficult to get into even for US MD students, as the students that match to these fields are "studs".

My particular field of interest is Anesthesiology. I want to do whatever I can to position myself to get into a Anesthesiology program back in the US. I understand that this might be doable, but if any current Sackler students or other IMG students that have gone through or know the current situation with matching into Anesthesia programs have any advice or words of wisdom I would greatly appreciate it. I feel confident that with a lot of hard work it is a possibility, and worst case scenario you can always do an Internal Medicine residency and then try for Anesthesiology after finishing, or try to switch after your first or second year of Internal Medicine.

I'm a current 4th year. It is indeed difficult to get into a very competitive specialty. The mid range competitive specialties are definitely doable. Things like Derm, Plastics, I think you can pretty much forget about it. The surgical subspecialties are also very difficult to get, but with a solid connection may be attainable.

The strengths of the program are that you get to live in TA for 4 years, which is awesome. I love it here and don't regret my decision, even though I'm trying to get into a tough specialty and it may not happen...

Hey. I will be starting Sackler this coming year.

I'm very excited and happy with my decision to go to school there.

From what I understand, derms and plastics are extremely hard to residencies to match in- even for those students who attend top-tier US allopathic medical schools.

I think I have a pretty good understanding about which other residencies are competitive. I do believe that it's early to think about this, but could someone just comment on the accuracy?

So I wrote before that derms and plastics are 1a and 1b or 1b and 1a, whatever..

So after that Radation Oncology, Optho, Ortho, ENT, Neuro, Urology, prob other sub specialties like vascular surgery, Anesthesiology, general surgery... then after that like OBGY, ER, Internal medicine?

Sound right?

There is no set list that I know of regarding the exact order of the competitive fields and to be honest that doesn't matter at all. Things are more competitive than others, and you shouldn't choose a field solely on where it falls on a list.

Keep in mind that no matter what field you are going with, you are considering a few things. What you are asking is competitiveness in matching an overall position, but things may matter more to you later than just a match. I can tell you that every single field has very competitive programs and those are likely the ones you'll be trying to match at.
I guess I could understand trying to list things based on their level at the start, but keep in mind how little you may know about medicine, and about what you may want out of it. I definitely went through many things in my head, from ENT, peds, obgyn, anesthesia, pathology and psychiatry before I ended up choosing.

I think you should all consider the Technion program. Our class matched one guy into Internal medicine in California. yeah California woot. EAT THAT SACKLER

one person matched into cali. all the others matched into...nothing. sounds amazing

I think you should all consider the Technion program. Our class matched one guy into Internal medicine in California. yeah California woot. EAT THAT SACKLER

Who would want to actually match into residency. if you want a post-doctoral vacation, the technion is perfect for those lifestyle-seekers.

no call, no malignant attendings, no patients, not even any medicine....perfect!

Can someone explain how Sackler consistently performs well in terms of matching while the Technion melted?