1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Sackler vs. DO

Discussion in 'Africa and Middle East' started by Timbo0984, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Timbo0984

Timbo0984 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

You're from NY, so you know that residency education directors in your area are very familiar with Sackler, as well as DO programs. Where do you go to school and why?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dhm2101

dhm2101 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

In my understanding, there is a different focus among DO schools than MD schools. In the end, there isn't that much difference, except that I think you need to do DO residences (or maybe rotations), and then an MD residency if you want a specific field. Also, there used to be a considerable bias against DO's in the medical society, although I think more recently that this bias isn't that strong. Also, you can do what a classmate of mine here at Sackler did, call people you know at some of the NY hospitals you'd be interested in, and ask them which they prefer among incoming residency applicants. They will probably give you tell you exactly what you're interested in knowing. Personally, I think you're better off with an MD, but that's *my* bias. Good luck with your decision.

4. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Unless your dad is the chairman of the department of whatever field you're thinking about, I wouldn't be so sure that going to Sackler will gaurantee you a residency spot in NY just b/c PD's "know" about Sackler. Either route you take, you'll have to work hard and prove yourself. I don't understand how someone could give up going to med school in the US and go off-shore just to get an "MD"...yes, even if it means having to learn OMM on top of science classes.

You could always go to NYCOM (assuming you apply and get in). I'm pretty damn sure PD's in NY have heard of NYCOM. If you're absolutely disgusted by osteopathic medicine, take a year (or 2) and improve your application and apply to US allopathic schools. If you don't feel like waiting, then I guess you've answered your own question. Whatever decision you make, make sure you research the hell out of it so there are no unexpected surprises/regrets later down the road. G'luck.

5. misparas

misparas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You do not have to attend a D.O. residency. You may apply to either the D.O. or M.D. match.

Good advice about contacting the programs. Find the programs you are interested in on the internet, and see where they are pulling their residents from.

6. AcousticGS

AcousticGS Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical