Sackler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopaminetoxicit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my acceptance letter, and I am definitely going. Is anyone else is going to Sackler this fall? Maybe we can start discussing various issues related to the school and living in Tel Aviv.

Members don't see this ad.

I just received my acceptance too. Feel free to message me. Congrats by the way!!

Just got my acceptance letter as well (did it have to come in a small envelope!) and I'm 99% sure I'm going. Does anyone know of any good books or some information source regarding how to actually move to Israel/find an apartment/what to expect, etc... I have no clue as to how this actually done.

By the way, congratualtions to everyone! The more I hear about Sackler, the more I am convinced that this an awesome school :D

Members don't see this ad :)
DocEG - msg me your email address. dopeamin already did. Let's get an email list started for the few of us who have been accepted so far. I'll send an email once I get yours. Congrats. I think Sackler is an amazing school.

how were your interviews?

Kussemek said:
how were your interviews?

Well, in the words of my interviewer "we don't do stress here". I actually filled out an interview feedback for Sackler which covers most of what I have to say about my interview. It was completely non-confrontational and it went by very fast. I know that when I was in your shoes, I absolutely hated it when people told me "not to worry" but really... don't worry :)

The interview was definately more relaxed than my U.S. interviews. Just go over the basics and be yourself.

I had my interview with Sackler in late January and I havn't received anything in the mail yet. When and where did you guys have your interview? In the New York office? Did you guys also apply to Ben Gurion? What makes you choose Sackler over Ben Gurion? Anyway, I got my acceptance to Ben Gurion a few weeks ago and I'm still waiting to hear from Sackler. I hope I can join your email group soon!!

organman said:
I had my interview with Sackler in late January and I havn't received anything in the mail yet. When and where did you guys have your interview? In the New York office? Did you guys also apply to Ben Gurion? What makes you choose Sackler over Ben Gurion? Anyway, I got my acceptance to Ben Gurion a few weeks ago and I'm still waiting to hear from Sackler. I hope I can join your email group soon!!

I had my interview in late january in Los Angeles. I know that the adcom only began meeting about a week/week and a half ago, so it very likely that your response is in the mail or heading out soon. As far as applying to Ben-gurion, I decided not to do it after my Sackler interview went well. While I'm sure Ben-gurion prepares students just as well, I think that its focus and atmosphere is just not what I want. Beer-Sheva is practically in the middle of nowhere (but its safer!) and the focus of the school is on international medicine so I think this pushes people towards primary care or family practice instead of specialties. Also, Sackler has been around longer so it has had time to build up a good reputation with residency program directors in the U.S. . While the education at ben gurion is good, it is my impression that fewer people have heard of it or have had personal expereinces with alumni.

In the end however, both schools will prepare you well, the choice I think is between which setting and culture suits you best. Big city/town, traditional med curriculum/ emphasis on international medicine, mostly jewish/ more diversity (so I've heard). Really, either one is a great choice, I wish you the best of luck with your app.

what about the Technion/Touro program? Did any of you apply to it?

I plan on applying, but not until later since I just got word from them that they will accept MCAT results for the April test...hopefully i'll find myself in Israel in the fall:)

Kussemek said:
what about the Technion/Touro program? Did any of you apply to it?

I plan on applying, but not until later since I just got word from them that they will accept MCAT results for the April test...hopefully i'll find myself in Israel in the fall:)

My understanding is that the Technion/Touro program is 5 years. 1 year to get your masters at Touro in New York, and if you get all A's and B's, you are then allowed to continue on to Technion. However, the Technion will be starting a new 4 year program for the 2006-2007 school year. Origionaly it was supposed to start fall of '05 and I applied but they just informed me two weeks agao that they are delaying the start of the program another year and to just apply to the joint program if I was still interested.

If you plan on being in Israel this fall, then I suggest applying to Sackler and/or Ben-Gurion. Hope this helps.

I plan on applying to those two schools, I didnt see a specific GPA requirement on the touro program, it just successful competion. Its weird, its a 5 year program, but only 4 years of tuition. Anyhow, I didnt even hear about the new Technion program. Where can I see more about their new program?

Thanks for the help:)

Kussemek said:
I plan on applying to those two schools, I didnt see a specific GPA requirement on the touro program, it just successful competion. Its weird, its a 5 year program, but only 4 years of tuition. Anyhow, I didnt even hear about the new Technion program. Where can I see more about their new program?

Thanks for the help:)

Quoting directly from the letter I got from the Technion, "students must achieve grades of A or B in each course to continue in the program"... so no pressure :laugh:

Joint Tour/Technion website:
http://www.touro.edu/shs/biomed.asp

And for the new program at Technion (you'll have to dig around to find the app):
http://teams.technion.ac.il/

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up for those of us accepted... I called Sackler today and they told me that they will be sending out a thick "F.Y.I." packet with information about financial aid, flight info, moving info, etc. once they get a large enough number of deposits. When will this be? they don't know, but they are hoping that they can send this out within a month. In the mean time, fill out your FAFSA and get ready for more waiting :rolleyes:

I am so jealous of you guys!
I want to go back soooooo badly!

Congratulations to every one that got an acceptance!!! I interviewed with an alum in Chicago end of January and I left with a very good impression of the interview. I have not yet heard back from Sackler and am growing more and more nervous because it has become my first choice in recent weeks. In any case, good luck to every one still waiting for notification!!

EBKame,
Give the New York office a call, and ask what your status is.

I followed your advice today and gave the office a call. Apparently the Adcom is still meeting this week and decisions will go out shortly. It didn't sound like they could be more specific than that.

Meanwhile I got a lot of pointers from my interviewer on living in Israel that might interest all of you. She said that she would recommend finding a second year to shack up with because they tend to have more experience with the best places to live near campus and can help you out with the academics. She also said that she avoided all buses when she was there and bought a car. I don't know how feasible an option that is for me, but some of you might want to consider it. In addition, she was there the year after the Gulf War and many things have changed. I'm hopeful that the second intifada will come to an end pretty soon and the political situation will be more conducive to living. If Abbas makes the right moves we may move towards sustained peace and we can hope for less suicide bombings and terrorist attacks. Anyone read "The Case for Israel"? If I end up going, I really want to brush up on my Middle East politics. Also, anyone know if there is a book that was recently published on living in Tel-Aviv, the culture, advice for foreigners, that sort of thing?

Hey EBKAME- thanks for the website, if there are any others like it please pass them along :) I'm trying to get as much info about Tel Aviv as well, I was thinking of buying a Lonely Planet guide for Israel, but all of the bookstores in my area are sold out, it should be useful for getting a general orientation of Tel Aviv and for those weekend excursions around Israel. I also happen to be in the middle of reading "The Case for Israel", its very good book regarding Israeli history and the politics of the current intifada, it breaks it down by topic into short, easy to understand essays. However, the book doesn't really seem to cover the politics of the middle east as whole, but its a great starting point none the less.

Regarding roomates, I've been thinking about that and I think that it would probably be better to room with someone in your year, that way its easier to stay on top of dates, homework, and classes, since you both have the same schedule. Having an easier time in class trumps, having an easier time getting around the city. Well, thats just my thinking on the subject....

P.S.- Good luck with the adcom, I know that a lot of schools would prefer to take a student who shows a serious interest in the shcool and is very likely to attend over someone who may have better grades but doesnt show any interest whatsoever. Good move calling the office, I have a strong feeling that it was my repeated phone calls to the office in February that got me an acceptance so early.

Do you guys know if we will have any sort of an orientation in the States before we go? It would be nice to get to know people in our class. I think it would also give us an opportunity to find future roommates ahead of time, instead of having to do this in a rush, right before classes start.
Also, what do guys know about the charter flight?
I guess we will get our acceptance package in April, and we will get more information then.

I haven't heard about orientation in the states, all I know is that there is supposed to be a two week orientation in Israel when they help you look for apartments. However, I agree with you, I don't want to do this in a rush, I was thinking of flying to Israel earlier and staying with relatives while looking for apartments, or who knows, maybe as more people get in and join the e-mailing list, we can meet up localy. Just a thought.

I'm sure this will all get cleared up once we get our info packets at the end of march/early april. Don't look at this as disorganization or delay, think of it as getting to experience Israel 5 months early :laugh:

Thanks for the encouragement :) I will definitely stay on the ball with the admissions office.
What I've heard about the two week orientation is that it is in Tel-Aviv and surrounding area. Apparently we take a bus tour and visit some major religious and secular sites. Again, my interviewer said that she decided not to go to this orientation because of security concerns (she didn't want to risk riding the bus). I, for one, think it would definitely be a disadvantage not to go because that is the first chance we get to meet other students, make apartment arangement, and meet the faculty, etc. I've actually also been considering going to Tel-Aviv earlier, looking for an apartment and enrolling in an intensive Hebrew class. Are you all fluent in Hebrew? I know the school offers instruction during the school year, but I heard that most students end up opting out of this class because the med academics are so challenging. So, I though it might be wise to do that before classes start. What are your plans?

DocEG,
I think it is a great idea to try and meet up locally before we go off. Even if the school does not arrange anything, we should get together on our own.

P.S. EBKame keep updating them with new stuff that you did not include in your original application (like a new reccomendation letter, or a new volunteer position). I sent them a third reccomendation letter (even though they asked for two) two months after I have sent my application off.
I think they will see that you are really interested, and are active about it.

EBKame said:
Are you all fluent in Hebrew?

Ha ha... 12 years of Hebrew school and the answer is still... NO. My parents are so proud. Curerently, I'm looking for an intensive ulpan (hebrew classes) in San Diego, I know that all of the local colleges offer regular classes, but I'm going to need to cover a little more than just the alphabet and basic reading. From what I've heard, after a month or two of ulpan, students have basic fluency (can get around on their own but not necessarily discuss the finer points of talmud). I think if you call the local Israeli consulate (or maybe the JCC) they should be able to point you in the right direction regarding classes. If anyone knows of another way to learn hebrew here in the sates,. let me know.

Wow, 12 years!!! I think I might be at a slight disadvantage ;) I wrote my interviewer, Dr. Nicosia, about her thoughts on hebrew fluency, etc and this was her reply:

"I think that taking a course at a kibbutz the month before you start
would be good just to get some basics down. By the time 3rd year starts
you will have picked up enough Hebrew to at least ask patients basic
questions. Don't worry about fluency...I know that is important to you
as some who is bi-lingual, but in the long run, not knowing hebrew
fluently is not going to affect your medical education or career. Good
luck with everything and I hope to hear positive results from you soon!"

I also think that Tel-Aviv University offers a summer ulpan, but I would need to find out more about it...I keep feeling like I am getting myself in too deep considering I haven't even been accepted, but if nothing else, it's interesting to talk to all of you and there are worse wastes of time...

Its been quiet around here lately so I've decided to stir the pot as it were. As I'm sure many of you are, I have been letting a lot of people know that I've gotten into Sackler. Now, it maybe the prejudice of my background or the backgrounds of those around me (either jewish or usually supportive of Israel), but I always considered Israel a 'normal' developed country. As if going to school there was no different from, say going to Canada or France. However, I have noticed that some (truly, only a couple of people so far) have given me strange looks when I tell them about Sackler.

I am aware that there is technically a 'stigma' attached to going to any foreign school, but in this case I didn't think it mattered outside of the program director's office at some elite residencies. Do you guys think that people in the general public lump Sackler in with guadalajara, the caribbean, etc... ??? What reactions have you recieved when you tell people about getting in to Sackler?

I don't mean for this to be a downer, in many ways Sackler puts student learning ahead of what you see in most U.S. schools, and every single doctor I have spoken with so far has raved about how great of a school it is and how competant its graduates are. However, apparently this stigma is something we will have to deal with, I was just wondering how big a pain in the a*s this is going to be.

Food for thought or the ramblings of a man who is up way too late, you decide :)

It could be that these people (who gave you weird looks) were thinking that Israel is a dangerous country to go and study in. I doubt that too much stigma is attached to our school, since almost everyone I talk to confirms that Tel Aviv University is one if the strongest schools in the world. Also, most people tend to think that Israeli medical education is very good. For example, a postdoc in my lab (he is an MD from Stanford who does clinical work as well as science) told me once that he sends complicated MRI of his patients to an Israeli doctor for a second opinion. When he speaks of Israeli medicine and science, he seems to view them on the same level as American. Our lab has a collaborator with Technion biologist. What I am trying to say is that American academia/medical establishment, at least in my experience, thinks highly of Israeli medical institutions/education. Of course, we will experience some stigma, because after all we will be FMG, but I believe it will be minimal.

I agree, I get the same thing. However, I've come to realize that they aren't doubting the medical school, like say a carribbean school (no offense), I think they are doubting your sanity. I always get "isn't it really dangerous? why would you go over there?". I just casually answer that i'll get an education like a top-tier med school in the U.S. and I'll be taking my vacations on the greek islands.

Hey,
I've also decided on going to Sackler and would love to be included in any email list you start up. I can be reached at [email protected].
Congrats,
ct.

Hey Everyone,

My name is Jonas and I just heard from Sackler and it ends up that I am on the active waiting list. This school has always been my first choice so now I am trying to do everything possible to get in. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do to increase my chances? I really want to join you all in the Fall!!!

-Jonas

Hi Everyone! I got accepted!!!!!!!!!! I got my letter in the mail today and absolutely flipped out. Sackler was by far my first choice and I can finally officially say that I will be in Israel in four or so months!!! I will PM one of you my e-mail so we can all stay up to date with our acceptance info and maybe arrange for a meeting. Good luck to all of those still waiting!

would this be a stupid call to make?
well i've already been accepted to sackler and would love to go there ... so anyone else who plans on going please contact me..

I also got in...Yay! I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone who's admitted. It would be my first time in Israel, so there's a lot of anxiety, but also a lot of excitement. E-mail me at [email protected]

hey guys,
congrats to all who have been accepted! i'm applying this coming cycle and I'm very interested in Sackler. could someone post their average MCAT scores and GPA? I couldn't find it on their website.

thanks!!
wendy

wendywellesley said:
hey guys,
congrats to all who have been accepted! i'm applying this coming cycle and I'm very interested in Sackler. could someone post their average MCAT scores and GPA? I couldn't find it on their website.

thanks!!
wendy

I remember having this same exact question and I've seen others ask it as well, however, I don't think anybody truly knows. Last year, when I called the office to ask, they just told me that the scores are "competative" and I recall seeing the numbers 3.5 and 29 in some brochure. It is my impression, however, that they would probably accept a wider range of students than a traditional U.S. school, since they tend to look at the "whole" student and look for qualities such as commitment to medicine and ability to adapt to new environments.

Again, these are my impressions from reading just about any message/website/brochure that I could get my hands on. If anyone actually knows the real numbers, please correct me.

First off, a big thanks to Wire for taking the initiative early on to start an e-mail list so that we can all discuss Sackler. As the number of people accepted continues to grow, we decided to start an online group to make it even easier to stay in contact. For those of you accepted and planning on going to Sackler this Fall, follow the link and join the discussion or PM ME your e-mail address and I'll send you an invite.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sackler2009/

**Make sure to note that you are a Sackler student (this applies if you sign up for the group online).

Hey,

Do you any of you guys know how the waiting list works at Sackler? I am currently on it and I know that they are still interviewing candidates until June. If any of you have any info...absolutely anything please fill me in.

Thanks
Jonas

When is the group flight and when does orientation start in August 2005?? I know last year that orientation started August 15. I need to make travel arrangements !!!

ML

Hey guys,
I also am a potential Sackler student. Trying to decide if it's for me....
But, also pretty excited about chance to start Med School this fall!!!
I have an interview with Ben Gurion on Monday and I'll have to see if I am accepted there....that's gonna be a tough choice to make Sackler or BG.
Congrats to everyone else who was accepted!! and Good luck to those still waiting.

Congratulations on your acceptance! I don't know about a group flight, but I also haven't received any information beyond my acceptance from the office. I believe orientation starts on August 15th, but the is by word of mouth. Average stats for Sackler (as I remember them) were MCAT27 and GPA 3.5.

hey guys,
i recently had an interview with sackler,

the place seems really cool, and everyone who goes there seems to love it.
i am concerned about being less competative for residency though

im wondering would all go to sackler if you could get into an American school cuz im on waitlists now??

Congrats to everyone who got accepted to Sackler. I will remember this day for the rest of my life. It was almost 6 years ago. I graduated from Sackler last year, and now I am finishing my intern year in one of the Internal Medicine programs in NY. Don't think twice, this is probably the best thing that ever happened to you, it was for me. School is great. The friendships and maybe even the relatioonships you make there will last forever. I know, it doesn't seem this way now, but trust me: the next four years are the best years of your life!!! In four years when you are going to be standing in front of your friends and families at the graduation ceremony and later watch your class video during the party at the "Palm Garden" of TA university, remeber these words: "I did it. Too bad, it's over."

P.S. Say HI to GGs. Who are they? You'll find out soon :))

Hi everyone

i just submitted my application to Sackler on Monday, and just sent off my transcripts and application fee.
Can anyone let me know how quick the admission office in getting back to us regarding possible interview etc.?

thanks for any input
cheers

Ali

It took them about a month after I applied for the office to e-mail me and let me know about interviews (I applied early December, heard back January 8th, and had my interview Jan 26th or so).

Good Luck

I too am a graduate of the Slacker school of medicine. I had a blast in med school and would definately recommend it to anyone.

Top ten Sackler scenes not to miss:
Eastern Europe during Pesach. Or the Greek Islands. Or Rome. Or Paris...
Blue on the beach with a good bottle of wine
Sandwiches at Alexander's on Hayarkon
Dizengoff street
Shenkman going off on anyone (he called me from Israel to chew me out once. It was classic.)
Lass saying millimoles (you've got to be there)
Dahab: Sunrise on Mt Sinai, snorkling at Blue Hole
Random street parties in Ramat Aviv
Israeli girls on the beach
Being so drunk at the Thanksgiving party that you start hitting on Ziva

PS. For those people who have been accepted to American schools: I don't regret going to Sackler but if you are at all concerned about getting a high-powered residency then consider just going to an American school. You might not have as much fun, work more hours and probably learn a little less but you will have an easier time getting a residency spot.

PS. I got the residency I wanted (EM) and so did most of my classmates.

Hi everyone

i have my interview next week, any tips on how to best prepare for the interview would be really appreciated

thanks guys

Ali

Do't worry. It was pretty laid back for me, and from reading other posts, it seems that it went the same way for a few other people. Review your application, be ready to explain why you want to study medicine. The interviewer will most likely ask you why you want to study medicine in Israel. If you have any relatives/friends in Israel - mention it. Learn a bit about the school, how it is different in some respects from American counterparts. My interviewer was very enthusiastic about Sackler, and wanted to demonstrate to me all of its good sides.
PM me if you want more information.

On the application, where it asks for employment, do they just want them listed or do they also want to see descriptions of what was done?

Hello to all and congratulations on ur acceptances!!
U all made a great choice to come to sackler!
I'm finishing up my 2nd year and I must say that this was the best decision I ever made, and these have been the best 2 years of my life!
I was wondering if there are any (or if you know of any) kosher female 2009 sacklers that are looking for an apartment in ramat aviv. I am a 2nd year and my roommate is a 1st year and our 3rd roomie is getting married so we need a replacement :)
we have a lovely newly renovated fully furnished apartment right across the street from the beautiful ramat aviv mall, walking distance to school and the beach. rent is $290/month. my roomie and I are really easy to get along with and if u join us, u get all of our books and notes :)

please email me if ur interested at [email protected]
aol IM: daffy726
or if u have any questions on israel/sackler in general, i'd love to help! :)

congrats to all again!!

daffy :oops: