Program-Specific Info / Q's Samuel Merritt 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOT8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I submitted my OTCAS for SMU last week and I'm somewhat nervous it won't be verified in time. I applied last year also and recall the deadline being extended. Does anyone know how often or under what circumstances does SMU extend their deadline? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my application last week as well not expecting OTCAS to be this far behind this early. Samuel Merritt's admission page says "It takes up to three weeks for OTCAS to verify your application. Your application will not be accessible to SMU until the OTCAS verification process is completed. It is recommended that applicants submit the OTCAS application by September 15th in order to ensure SMU's timely receipt of the verified application by the established deadline." I really hope they extend their deadline as well! Does anyone have experience contacting Samuel Merritt directly? I have never tried calling but I have emailed on several occasions only to receive no response.

I submitted my application last week as well not expecting OTCAS to be this far behind this early. Samuel Merritt's admission page says "It takes up to three weeks for OTCAS to verify your application. Your application will not be accessible to SMU until the OTCAS verification process is completed. It is recommended that applicants submit the OTCAS application by September 15th in order to ensure SMU's timely receipt of the verified application by the established deadline." I really hope they extend their deadline as well! Does anyone have experience contacting Samuel Merritt directly? I have never tried calling but I have emailed on several occasions only to receive no response.

Who did you e-mail? Rosa Alvarado was the person to contact last cycle and she's really helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed her and Lizzie Mayo regarding prerequisites but no response from either.

I emailed her and Lizzie Mayo regarding prerequisites but no response from either.
Where are you seeing the status of application verification of OTCAS? And if they are this behind maybe they will be extending their deadline.

Where are you seeing the status of application verification of OTCAS? And if they are this behind maybe they will be extending their deadline.

When you log on to OTCAS...look on the furthest right column. It says "STATUS" underneath it will say the date that you submitted your application. Below that it says "Complete date currently being verified."
As of today, it says 09/01/14 but another applicant just updated the verification thread saying that her application was verified this morning. She submitted on 09/07 if I am not mistaken so I am hoping they aren't as far behind as they appear. An extended deadline would be reassuring though!

I submitted my application through OTCAS on 9/6 and they still haven't verified it yet. I didn't have a lot of trust in the fact that had I waited until the 15th that they would have it verified by the 1st. Last week they were stuck on the 24th for the longest so I think they are just going through them week by week with this week when they verify the applications from the week of the 1st to the 6th. Then next week I think they will move on to the 9/8-9/13 and so on. That is just me speculating though. I hope everyone manages to get their apps verified in time because it is a bit nerve wrecking checking every day.

I was JUST verified. The email says Samuel Merritt has my application. Will let you know if and when I hear anything regarding interviews/rejection. (So nervous). Did you send off any other applications?

I was JUST verified. The email says Samuel Merritt has my application. Will let you know if and when I hear anything regarding interviews/rejection. (So nervous). Did you send off any other applications?

When did you submit your application?

Congrats. Perhaps mine will be verified at some point this week as well. I submitted mine on 9/7.

Thanks for the update. congratulations!!! And good luck!! Yes let me know when you hear back, if you don't mind. Hopefully it'll be soon. I applied to Midwestern, Utah, New Mexico, Puget Sound, AT Still, and Samuel Merritt so far. How about you?

Thanks for the update. congratulations!!! And good luck!! Yes let me know when you hear back, if you don't mind. Hopefully it'll be soon. I applied to Midwestern, Utah, New Mexico, Puget Sound, AT Still, and Samuel Merritt so far. How about you?

I have only applied to SM so far. I am taking the GREs in November and then applying to NYU, Columbia, USC, SJSU, Pacific in December

Members don't see this ad :)
I have only applied to SM so far. I am taking the GREs in November and then applying to NYU, Columbia, USC, SJSU, Pacific in December

Wow those are all great programs. Do you have a first choice? And if you don't mind me asking, what area are you from?

Wow those are all great programs. Do you have a first choice? And if you don't mind me asking, what area are you from?

I do not have a first choice. I am also looking for "back up" schools. Recommendations? I currently live in northern CA but am open to moving to NY, FL, OR, WA, mayyyybbeee Boston or Chicago?

I do not have a first choice. I am also looking for "back up" schools. Recommendations? I currently live in northern CA but am open to moving to NY, FL, OR, WA, mayyyybbeee Boston or Chicago?

I wish I knew of some "back up" schools as well. This is my first time applying and I'm so nervous about how competitive it seems to be. It seems like a lot of people have great stats but there just isn't enough space for everyone. Maybe Dominican since it's in California? Not sure if it's competitive though. Are your stats pretty good? Oh I've also read that Bay Path might be easier but again, not sure. It's not in Boston but it's in Massachusetts.

Actually my stats aren't very competitive at all. Undergrad was 7 years ago and my grades weren't great. My pre-reqs are all A's (so far). I'm currently in anatomy, physics & physiology-- will be complete in December. I volunteered in two different settings (about 200 hours) and wrote a great cover letter. As for my LORs, I waived my rights and have no clue what was written. It seemed they all did them at the last minute (ack!). I think most of the schools that I am applying to are long shots, but fingers crossed I get into one of them. This is my first time applying as well. While my undergrad GPA (3.38) affected my application in a big way, I want to apply really good programs, because I'm confident that's where I will do my best. Oh and then paying for the program....that's a whole other story.

I think you'll be a competitive applicant! I'm dreading the costs as well but I'm putting off looking at them until after I hear back. I just want to get accepted somewhere!

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you whose apps were verified, does Samuel Merritt email you saying they received your application?

This evening I saw that OTCAS is still reviewing 09/01 applications...

This evening I saw that OTCAS is still reviewing 09/01 applications...

I'm pretty confused about the status listed on the OTCAS website. This morning I received an email from one of the programs I applied to stating that they received my OTCAS application. I have not received verification from OTCAS so I don't understand if that email was sent to me by mistake or if OTCAS is behind in updating/informing applicants of their status.

On another note, great news for everyone stressing about the verification date...Assistant Director of Admissions, Lizzie Mayo, returned my email regarding an application deadline extension. While they are not planning to extend the deadline for this admissions cycle, she stated that the application just needs to be submitted by October 1. Thank goodness!!

I'm pretty confused about the status listed on the OTCAS website. This morning I received an email from one of the programs I applied to stating that they received my OTCAS application. I have not received verification from OTCAS so I don't understand if that email was sent to me by mistake or if OTCAS is behind in updating/informing applicants of their status.

On another note, great news for everyone stressing about the verification date...Assistant Director of Admissions, Lizzie Mayo, returned my email regarding an application deadline extension. While they are not planning to extend the deadline for this admissions cycle, she stated that the application just needs to be submitted by October 1. Thank goodness!!

I got a similar email where they school said they got my app and it is listed as "complete" but my app is not verified by OTCAS. So they prob have it, juts waiting verification

It is definitely scary to think about having to pay for tuition so I am applying to some state schools but I am also looking for private programs that would be a good fit for me. After all, we will be spending 2-3 years in the program so for me, choosing a program I will be happy at is important. I'd love to attend a state program for cheaper tuition purposes but there are no programs in the state that I am from and it is more competitive for non residents. From what I have read and heard from someone who attend Samuel Merritt, they have a great program so I don't want to rule it out solely because of the cost.

Just to give everyone an update on OTCAS verifying applications, I had my application verified this past Thursday (9/25) and had originally submitted on 9/6. Samuel Merritt has my application according to OTCAS but I have yet to receive any confirmation from Samuel Merritt.

I've just gotten my application verified at Samuel Merritt yesterday (9/30)
Completed 9/7 had a bunch of errors and missing transcript :eek: so I fixed it and got it newly completed 9/25 (thankfully I was not put into the back of the verification line)

I did not receive notification from Samuel Merritt (I'm thinking that will come later in the month)
Does anyone here know what SMU includes in their Science GPA? (OTCAS calculated both my Natural and Social sciences but I'm not sure which one.. )

I've just gotten my application verified at Samuel Merritt yesterday (9/30)
Completed 9/7 had a bunch of errors and missing transcript :eek: so I fixed it and got it newly completed 9/25 (thankfully I was not put into the back of the verification line)

I did not receive notification from Samuel Merritt (I'm thinking that will come later in the month)
Does anyone here know what SMU includes in their Science GPA? (OTCAS calculated both my Natural and Social sciences but I'm not sure which one.. )
They only count the natural science classes

Thanks! Since the deadline is so much earlier this year I wonder if interviews are going to be in December instead of Jan?
I wish SMU can update some of the outdated stuff on their website.. Like their timeline :yeahright:

I'm really waiting to hear a convincing argument as to why anyone would attend a program which will place them into 6 figure debt. You're not making a 6 figure income once you graduate or anytime soon. The answer I keep hearing is that many people are tied to their location; it's a fair answer and I can understand if you have obligations to your part of the state or country. Quite frankly, I see no reason to be in debt that much if you can avoid it-- there are ways to avoid it; apply to cheaper programs outside of your area which you can get into.

I totally agree that tuition is pretty crazy :( But I'm choosing SMU bexause of the location, I plan to work in the bay and I want to build connections in the area.

Although salary is not incredibly high the standard of living in Bay Area is higher therefore usually average salaries are a little higher. I know that near six figs for OT is not uncommon there

And lastly, I have a 0% chance of getting into SJSU (only in my dreams ...)

OTCrazyCassie! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking..

OTCrazyCassie! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking..

UCI , 3.3 Gpa

I'm really worried since I don't feel competitive enough, but I'm hoping my volunteer hours (~120) and holding a couple part time jobs in college may make up for it.

I also really like that SMU conducts interviews; I have gotten a lot of practice for interviews in the past.

I didn't bother applying to SJSU because I'm much better at interviews than I am at writing (personal statements)... I'm actually kindof a lousy writer so If that is what SJSU is going to use to differentiate me from other candidates then my application is def going to the rejection pile.

I also really like that SMU conducts interviews; I have gotten a lot of practice for interviews in the past.

I didn't bother applying to SJSU because I'm much better at interviews than I am at writing (personal statements)... I'm actually kindof a lousy writer so If that is what SJSU is going to use to differentiate me from other candidates then my application is def going to the rejection pile.

I see. I also have a low GPA 3.2... But, I missed the deadline for SM not even realizing it. I hope you get in! Are you applying anywhere else?

Thank you :) Yeah GPA blows, but we can definitely make up for it in other aspects. I'll be applying to USC after I take GRE! Possibly Dominican University as well. What about you? I really want to stay in California

Oh no you missed the deadline? Were you planning on applying? I do believe that if you simply e-submitted it before yesterday it would be okay

By the way, I have received notice from Samuel Merritt stating that they have received my application. They are reviewing applications starting today.
And I received an informative and updated link in the email . (Honestly I searched everywhere and this PDF was not on the website, they should have this on the front page or something!)

http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/kc_upload/files/MOT.Admission_Process.pdf

OTCrazyCassie, yes it does suck.. I'm from CA as well so I hope to stay in state with SJSU being my number one choice. What part of CA are you from.

I'm from Los Angeles! I went to school in UC Irvine. I love the bay area though, plenty of my friends are there and my Dad lives there too. Are you from San Jose? I hope you get in! It seems like such a wonderful school

Yes, I'm from San Jose! Thank you! I hope so too lol.

I looked up my program designations on OTCAS and it says the deadline for SMU is now 10/15/2014 instead of 10/1/2014. Extended deadlines are always good :)

On October 13th, I got an email from Lizzie saying my application was incomplete. There was some uncertainty about the 3D course and one of the "recommended" courses (that I decided not to take.) After clarifying, she sent me an update saying that my application was complete.

Anybody else heard anything?

I'm glad you were able to get that issue resolved. I think the applications are being reviewed. The timeline in the email they sent said that interview invitations will be sent out in November and December. We probably won't hear anything until then.

I received an email an hour ago that they have my application and that it is under review. Any updates for applicants will be email in 3 to 5 weeks. Best of luck to everyone!

I received an email an hour ago that they have my application and that it is under review. Any updates for applicants will be email in 3 to 5 weeks. Best of luck to everyone!

Was this the first you've heard back from them? I got the email saying my app was under review on the 13th but I didn't see anything about hearing 3-5 weeks about the status so thanks for sharing that!

Was this the first you've heard back from them? I got the email saying my app was under review on the 13th but I didn't see anything about hearing 3-5 weeks about the status so thanks for sharing that!
Yeah this was the first time hearing from them since OTCAS only verified my app last week.

Totally jumped for joy this morning when I receieved an email from Samuel Merritt saying "You are invited..."
Then read down further and saw that it was for an information session -_- false alarm lol

Reactions: 1 users
Totally jumped for joy this morning when I receieved an email from Samuel Merritt saying "You are invited..."
Then read down further and saw that it was for an information session -_- false alarm lol
SAME!!!

LOL me too!. Will you guys be attending the information session? I'm not sure if there is a point to going now that we have already applied?

LOL me too!. Will you guys be attending the information session? I'm not sure if there is a point to going now that we have already applied?
I emailed Lizzie Mayo back asking if there was an additional meeting for current applicants because I have class at the time and because I wanted to show interest in attending but she told me that the information at meeting will be the same information provided at the interview and that it is not mandatory to attend. Sooo I guess you could say its slightly pointless but if I could attend I would just to show face.

Glad I wasn't the only one, but sorry you guys got tricked too!! I wish I could attend so that I can see the campus and learn more about the school but unfortunately it is just too far and too expensive. If anyone decides to go, let us know how it goes