San Diego - CVS $50/hr No Negotiations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's not an insult, it's the truth. Learn to deal with it. I do think, though, that pharmacists in hospital outpatient settings are the ones that can "function like a health care facility" and truly make a difference because they have access to patient's medical records, diagnoses etc. due to information sharing within the health system, which enables them to actually counsel effectively. Contrast this to chain retail or independents where at BEST you might have their medication history and that's it - how exactly are you going to know how to counsel or check a prescription for digoxin, for example, if you don't have lab values that estimate renal function? Or recommend an alternative antidepressant if you are not aware of any pre-existing contraindications? You can't, so you end up giving generic counseling points which are not helpful to anyone at all. And that's IF you even spend more than 5 seconds on counseling.
I just spoke to a patient about her atorvastatin. This is a good example. She said she has fibromyalgia and was afraid to take her statin due to hearing about muscle pain as a side effect. I had to educate her on pros and cons. Cons being comobidities such as ischemic heart disease and stroke if she's not compliant. She thanked me for what I was able to tell her and said she will start taking her meds.

Last week, a doctor called in a prescription for a Perforomist with a copay of $220. Patient said she could not afford it. I looked her profile and noticed that she was also on budesonide so I called the doctor to request a prescription for a symbicort. Doctor called it in and the copay ended up being $6.

In my professional opinion, this is what a pharmacist supposed to do. Techs, no matter how good they are, will not be able to.

It is unfortunate that some pharmacists do not get an opportunity to be a real pharmacist and that is what we need to work hard to change.

I don't have to deal it anything except for patients' health and well being.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So you're the snitch that keeps getting everyone banned?!

Nope just reported that one person one time. I have been part of several different forums so disagreeing with someone ain’t nothing new..

Reactions: 1 user
Tbh what work can hospital pharmacist do that can’t be learned within a month? Warfarin dosing based on INR? Vancomycin dosing? IV to PO conversion? Doesn’t seem like a rocket science to me..

The stuff you listed are the very basic stuff that's done everyday and should be doable by anyone with their eyes closed eventually.

There's no one thing that'll take long to learn. It's the volume of things to learn and retain, much of which isn't taught in schools, that's the issue. Obviously different roles will be responsible for different things, but hybrid roles will have to know a good amount about everything.

My point is: drop a new grad with no experience alone into a retail role and they'll probably be able to skate by without a major incident. Drop the same new grad alone into a hospital and there probably will be.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The stuff you listed are the very basic stuff that's done everyday and should be doable by anyone with their eyes closed eventually.

There's no one thing that'll take long to learn. It's the volume of things to learn and retain, much of which isn't taught in schools, that's the issue. Obviously different roles will be responsible for different things, but hybrid roles will have to know a good amount about everything.

My point is: drop a new grad with no experience alone into a retail role and they'll probably be able to skate by without a major incident. Drop the same new grad alone into a hospital and there probably will be.
Haha. No.

Agreed. That's basically what retail does anyway, the new grads get like a week of "training" then they're thrown into a store. They're usually not efficient but the techs pretty much run the show without them, all they need to do is verify. It's pretty foolproof as far as patient safety.

Imagine dropping a new grad hospital Rph into a code situation, they would most likely panic and not know what to do.

Last edited:
All pharmacist does is verify? Tell that to CVS pharmacist who does 400 with two and half tech..

Some of you have lost the touch with reality..

Reactions: 1 users
Umm.. You won’t kill someone or invite $5 mil lawsuit if you give wrong burger to someone..

Try again..

Can you give an example where you could have killed someone in retail? I worked at a 4300 script per week CVS for 4 years and can't think of any. I don't recall any serious error from any of the pharmacists during my time there.

Can you give an example where you could have killed someone in retail? I worked at a 4300 script per week CVS for 4 years and can't think of any. I don't recall any serious error from any of the pharmacists during my time there.

I have seen plenty of errors that could have resulted into potential multi-million law suits but luckily weren’t. Example pharmacist dispensing keflex 500 when it was written for keppra 500. What if they had a seizure and were hospitalized or died?

I have seen case where patient did “take things further” but we don’t know what was the final resolution. Most likely it was settled outside of court. He was given someone else’s medication and claimed to have severe side effects.

I have seen plenty of errors that could have resulted into potential multi-million law suits but luckily weren’t. Example pharmacist dispensing keflex 500 when it was written for keppra 500. What if they had a seizure and were hospitalized or died?

I have seen case where patient did “take things further” but we don’t know what was the final resolution. Most likely it was settled outside of court. He was given someone else’s medication and claimed to have severe side effects.

All that talk about liability and high salary and that's the best you can come up with?

All that talk about liability and high salary and that's the best you can come up with?

Nice way to diverge the topic after getting called out for trash posting..

Nice way to diverge the topic after getting called out for trash posting..

My point is, your argument is pharmacists deserve high pay regardless of oversupply due to liability, because they could kill someone. I asked for an example of the liability, and your example was not a good one. Instead of describing a situation where a pharmacist saved a patient from harm, you described how a pharmacist nearly harmed a patient by their own fault. That reason does not command higher pay.

I won’t entertain this troll posts further. I have been speaking against over saturation since 2012.. I myself didn’t find a job in the area I desired and had to move to rural part of the town and had to find my way back.

So yes death of pharmacy phenomena is real. The recent pharmacist job offers range from $50-45 an hour and that’s the fair reflection of current marker condition. Will it continue to go down? Yes it will. I can definitely see $40 an hour becoming norm for new grad with no experience in 2-3 years.

But people are delusional if they think $35-30 an hour is the new norm. It’s most definitely a scam or a rip-off!
This is what I never understand when people have these salary arguments - are you talking about an annualized $30-35/hr salary or a face value $30-35/hr salary? When I discuss salaries I am always talking in annualized terms, so when I say that PICs will make $25-30/hr what I mean is $25-30/hr x 40 hrs/week ($47-56k) for comparison to literally every other job out there. This in contrast to what you're likely discussing which is the face value of the salary offer of $45-50/hr ($84-94k annualized) but when normalized to the new "full time" definition of 24-32hrs/week becomes $50k-75k. So it's semantics if you're comparing a higher hourly wage at face value to a lower, normalized wage. Chains are likely going to keep their hourly wages at $30-45 but keep shredding hours, whereas independents will post whatever they want. It is strategic to post as high a hourly wage as possible because it will deceive pre-pharms and pharmacy students into thinking they will make a certain salary by becoming a pharmacist and attend pharmacy school, contribute to the saturation and not realize what's really in store for them until they get their first job and realize they have no guaranteed hours. But either way, pharmacist salaries are going to be $50-60k no matter how you look at it.

My point is, your argument is pharmacists deserve high pay regardless of oversupply due to liability, because they could kill someone. I asked for an example of the liability, and your example was not a good one. Instead of describing a situation where a pharmacist saved a patient from harm, you described how a pharmacist nearly harmed a patient by their own fault. That reason does not command higher pay.

You posted that techs run the show and pharmacist does nothing more than verifying which I pointed out can’t be further from the truth.. You then told me you couldn’t think of any way where patient could have been hurt due to pharmacist mistake. I just gave you one of several examples I have seen over the years that could have resulted in patient harm. And now you are claiming this doesn’t qualify for whatever reason.

Look if you have worked in retail and can’t think of a way where patient could have been hurt, you are either lying, or trolling or you are just stupid. So many things can go wrong in the pharmacy that it’s pointless to list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a pharmacist is like being a CEO. You run the show but you're responsible for everything that happens in your pharmacy. This is why you need to have good techs that you can trust. If company does something illegal or fishy, it's always the CEO of the company that has to take the hit. Over supply of pharmacists should not matter in how much we are "worth". This meant that when we had shortage of supply, our salary should've gone through the roof which was not the case. Shortage of supply isn't the reason why plastic surgeons or dentists are paid much much higher than other specialties or professions.

How much is a liability insurance for independent pharmacy anyway? While I agree that pharmacists can be sued and have been sued, secondary coverage is like $150 per year.

Being a pharmacist is like being a CEO. You run the show but you're responsible for everything that happens in your pharmacy. This is why you need to have good techs that you can trust. If company does something illegal or fishy, it's always the CEO of the company that has to take the hit. Over supply of pharmacists should not matter in how much we are "worth". This meant that when we had shortage of supply, our salary should've gone through the roof which was not the case. Shortage of supply isn't the reason why plastic surgeons or dentists are paid much much higher than other specialties or professions.
Your "worth" is an economic definition and is very much dictated by both the supply of workers and the amount of revenue you can bring to a company. It is not some touchy feely definition of "I have good people skills so I have 'worth'" and quite frankly the fact that a lot of pharmacists and new grads don't understand that salaries for jobs exist for a reason - the amount of economic value add to the employer - is concerning. In the case of pharmacists, there is an oversupply AND we don't bring revenue to a company so there is no "worth." Surgeons and dentists are both less saturated and they can both bill for services that only they can perform which is why they have "worth." Matter of fact surgical procedures are the most lucrative way that a hospital makes money so surgeons have higher "worth" than other doctors. Speaking of "worth," pharmacist salaries skyrocketed when there was a shortage of pharmacists... not sure what world you're living in but if you don't think sign-on bonuses, free cars, etc. is evidence of a shortage leading to demand and hence increased salaries then I don't know what else to say...

Last edited:
You posted that techs run the show and pharmacist does nothing more than verifying which I pointed out can’t be further from the truth.. You then told me you couldn’t think of any way where patient could have been hurt due to pharmacist mistake. I just gave you one of several examples I have seen over the years that could have resulted in patient harm. And now you are claiming this doesn’t qualify for whatever reason.

Look if you have worked in retail and can’t think of a way where patient could have been hurt, you are either lying, or trolling or you are just stupid. So many things can go wrong in the pharmacy that it’s pointless to list.

Again your example is not a good one. You basically just said "A pharmacist deserves $60+ because he can kill a patient because of negligence." If a pharmacist dispenses Keflex instead of Keppra then that's their own fault, not the employer's. Any competent pharmacist would have questioned the indication, quantity, duration, pt med history etc. That pharmacist has no one to blame but themselves.

There is no need for insults and name calling. You can insult me all you want (which is ironic since you are the snitch who reports people) but you still haven't provided a good example where a patient can get killed in retail or why a pharmacist should be paid more due to liability. Teachers have high liability but way lower pay than pharmacists.

He did say that up to 80% of pharmacists are not qualified to be pharmacists. So maybe he thinks when you are a superstar, you reduce liability versus a non qualified pharmacist and deserve to be paid top dollar.

Your "worth" is an economic definition and is very much dictated by both the supply of workers and the amount of revenue you can bring to a company. It is not some touchy feely definition of "I have good people skills so I have 'worth'" and quite frankly the fact that a lot of pharmacists and new grads don't understand that salaries for jobs exist for a reason - the amount of economic value add to the employer - is concerning. In the case of pharmacists, there is an oversupply AND we don't bring revenue to a company so there is no "worth." Surgeons and dentists are both less saturated and they can both bill for services that only they can perform which is why they have "worth." Matter of fact surgical procedures are the most lucrative way that a hospital makes money so surgeons have higher "worth" than other doctors. Speaking of "worth," pharmacist salaries skyrocketed when there was a shortage of pharmacists... not sure what world you're living in but if you don't think sign-on bonuses, free cars, etc. is evidence of a shortage leading to demand and hence increased salaries then I don't know what else to say...
Sounds like you're angry at yourself for being a pharmacist which makes it very difficult to have a decent conversation. Pharmacists salary did not skyrocket. The big chains were giving incentives but that does not mean the salaries went up. Simple google search will help.

Tbh what work can hospital pharmacist do that can’t be learned within a month? Warfarin dosing based on INR? Vancomycin dosing? IV to PO conversion? Doesn’t seem like a rocket science to me..

We delegate that to students.

Pharmacy in the hospital is always a cost center, so ROI as someone noted above is irrelevant.

But you still want a grizzled and well trained pharmacist in place when you’ve got antsy physicians ordering icatibant because “patient is swollen” and high frequency Remicade to “save their colon.”

Unfortunately, that which is not knowable, when it is finally known, is usually too late to correct.

Lo barato sale caro.

Again your example is not a good one. You basically just said "A pharmacist deserves $60+ because he can kill a patient because of negligence." If a pharmacist dispenses Keflex instead of Keppra then that's their own fault, not the employer's. Any competent pharmacist would have questioned the indication, quantity, duration, pt med history etc. That pharmacist has no one to blame but themselves.

There is no need for insults and name calling. You can insult me all you want (which is ironic since you are the snitch who reports people) but you still haven't provided a good example where a patient can get killed in retail or why a pharmacist should be paid more due to liability. Teachers have high liability but way lower pay than pharmacists.

Let’s go one by one. This is what you wrote:

“ Can you give an example where you could have killed someone in retail? I worked at a 4300 script per week CVS for 4 years and can't think of any. I don't recall any serious error from any of the pharmacists during my time there.”

You specifically asked about the rph error that could harm the patient. When I gave you the example, you realized you screwed up and started goal-shift: Oh that’s negligence and that doesn’t count! If you want to play this game, sure I will bite:

How about prescriber writing Cabergoline 0.5 mg 1 qd? A potent medication used in treatment for hyperprolactinemia. I was an intern and we received such prescription once. As soon as pharmacist at that time saw the prescription, he immediately said doctor office has screwed up and called and got the rx fixed. He didn’t wait for the computer to flag it. If it was some other rph who would override everything just because doctor wrote it, patient harm will be inevitable.

How about prescriber writing metformin 1000 bid and then sending Janumnet 50-1000 bid two days after? I called the nurse once for such order and she told me it’s fine to dispense both. I told her that’s not appropriate. She said that’s how doctor wanted it. I told her it’s still not appropriate and we got into bit of argument. I hung up and after 5 minutes I receive a call to cancel previous metformin rx. Once I receive Levofloxacin 500 mg bid. I called to verify and nurse says that’s okay and that they do it all the time. I still told it’s not okay and I am pretty sure doc has screwed up. She verifies with doctor and says she is grateful for correcting them. We regularly run into scenario where pt uses multiple doctors and they receive scripts like Junuvia and Tradjenta or Glimepride and Glipizide or Livalo and Crestor at the same time where we have to intervene.

A competent rph knows when to intervene, when to document and move forward and when not to budge despite nurse says “it’s okay”.

Also, our usefulness lies into easy access to public. I have seat down patients and went over how to do glucose testing. I show them videos on my phone and then tell them to test in front of me to confirm they knew how to do it correctly. Their doctor office didn’t show them and they didn’t want to make a separate appointment to see the doctor. They also weren’t tech savvy so I helped them out.

If you are an educated person who stays on top of things concerning your health, you probably won’t need a pharmacist. But fact of the matter is, many people don’t fall into this category, especially elderly and often times they do benefit from our work. Most errors don’t kill people overnight but there is a potential of long-term side effects. For example taking 4000 mg of metformin has no added benefit to glucose control; only possible side-effects.

And I would love for you to show me post where I have said pharmacists are entitled to $60 hour salary.

I already know what your response is going to be: oh these errors are nothing special and don’t qualify. So I will stop here. You are enjoying this argument more than me it seems.

Let’s go one by one. This is what you wrote:

“ Can you give an example where you could have killed someone in retail? I worked at a 4300 script per week CVS for 4 years and can't think of any. I don't recall any serious error from any of the pharmacists during my time there.”

You specifically asked about the rph error that could harm the patient. When I gave you the example, you realized you screwed up and started goal-shift: Oh that’s negligence and that doesn’t count! If you want to play this game, sure I will bite:

How about prescriber writing Cabergoline 0.5 mg 1 qd? A potent medication used in treatment for hyperprolactinemia. I was an intern and we received such prescription once. As soon as pharmacist at that time saw the prescription, he immediately said doctor office has screwed up and called and got the rx fixed. He didn’t wait for the computer to flag it. If it was some other rph who would override everything just because doctor wrote it, patient harm will be inevitable.

How about prescriber writing metformin 1000 bid and then sending Janumnet 50-1000 bid two days after? I called the nurse once for such order and she told me it’s fine to dispense both. I told her that’s not appropriate. She said that’s how doctor wanted it. I told her it’s still not appropriate and we got into bit of argument. I hung up and after 5 minutes I receive a call to cancel previous metformin rx. Once I receive Levofloxacin 500 mg bid. I called to verify and nurse says that’s okay and that they do it all the time. I still told it’s not okay and I am pretty sure doc has screwed up. She verifies with doctor and says she is grateful for correcting them. We regularly run into scenario where pt uses multiple doctors and they receive scripts like Junuvia and Tradjenta or Glimepride and Glipizide or Livalo and Crestor at the same time where we have to intervene.

A competent rph knows when to intervene, when to document and move forward and when not to budge despite nurse says “it’s okay”.

Also, our usefulness lies into easy access to public. I have seat down patients and went over how to do glucose testing. I show them videos on my phone and then tell them to test in front of me to confirm they knew how to do it correctly. Their doctor office didn’t show them and they didn’t want to make a separate appointment to see the doctor. They also weren’t tech savvy so I helped them out.

If you are an educated person who stays on top of things concerning your health, you probably won’t need a pharmacist. But fact of the matter is, many people don’t fall into this category, especially elderly and often times they do benefit from our work. Most errors don’t kill people overnight but there is a potential of long-term side effects. For example taking 4000 mg of metformin has no added benefit to glucose control; only possible side-effects.

And I would love for you to show me post where I have said pharmacists are entitled to $60 hour salary.

I already know what your response is going to be: oh these errors are nothing special and don’t qualify. So I will stop here. You are enjoying this argument more than me it seems.

All of those are easy interventions, none of them are close calls. There was never a chance of killing a patient in any of those situations. The cabergoline dose is obviously wrong, no one is going to break open 5 of those small bottles for one month supply. Same with Levaquin, easy flag and phone call. No one is going to dispense those two without questioning them. The rest are just duplicate therapy which are routine catches. I don't see any risk to the patient in those examples.

Once they get the pay down to 40, the next step is to get the pharmacist out of the store. they can have 1 pharmacist doing remote dur for multiple stores. tech check tech can be used for product verification. supervisor tech will get more responsibility with c2s. no hospital or chain wants to pay for more pharmacists. it and ai people are hard at work designing ways to reduce pharmacists as much as possible. everyone should have alternative career plans, including the clinical pharmacists who did 2 years residency. lots of cost cutting discussions going on in hospital and corporate board rooms right now.

I don’t think I will keep my current job at my current salary after 2 years.. Wonder what would happen.

I am more curious than concerned at this point..

Aren’t medication errors one of the leading causes of death? I guess it’s not that big of a deal after all lol
That is probably a correct statement; however, medication management is something that doesn't necessarily need to be done by pharmacists. That is the entire premise of cost-cutting initiatives to minimize pharmacist involvement.

That is probably a correct statement; however, medication management is something that doesn't necessarily need to be done by pharmacists. That is the entire premise of cost-cutting initiatives to minimize pharmacist involvement.

My comment is directed at the idea that you can work in retail for years and never see an example of a pharmacists error that could kill someone. If it is truly that hard to kill someone with a medication error you would think it wouldn’t be a leading cause of death.

My comment is directed at the idea that you can work in retail for years and never see an example of a pharmacists error that could kill someone. If it is truly that hard to kill someone with a medication error you would think it wouldn’t be a leading cause of death.
Actually it is pretty hard to kill someone in the retail setting based on the nature of the drugs being dispensed. Most drugs dispensed in this setting are for chronic disease states (DM, HLD, HTN) or antibiotics which aren't going to kill you if confused with another drug or given the wrong dose of. This in contrast to inpatient drugs which generally require TDM and since given IV, have more potential for overdose. In other words, there's only so much "damage" you can do by accidentally dispensing 250mcg digoxin tabs vs. 125mcg tabs in retail compared to messing up a dilution calculation and accidentally dispensing 250g IV digoxin vs. 250mcg.

I am glad I don’t have to worry too much about killing anyone since I don’t work inpatient, what a relief!
I know you're being sarcastic but this is exactly why the pharmacist as a gatekeeper in the retail setting is quickly becoming extinct. If techs can perform at 80+% quality compared to a retail pharmacist then there is no reason to not let techs take over completely.

Aren’t medication errors one of the leading causes of death? I guess it’s not that big of a deal after all lol

Still waiting for a realistic example where a patient can die in retail pharmacy. Do you have one? If it was so common then surely the Walgreens tech who posed as a pharmacist for 12 years would have killed many?

Well the point of the pharmacist is to prevent any negligent dispensing so you'd just end up arguing every example is due to the pharmacist being stupid.

And everything saving the patient from harm due to negligent prescribing is just because the prescriber is stupid.

People have impersonated as doctors too. Here is one such case.

Still waiting for a realistic example where a patient can die in retail pharmacy. Do you have one? If it was so common then surely the Walgreens tech who posed as a pharmacist for 12 years would have killed many?

That “tech” had been an intern so they had at least some pharmacy school. And for all we know she may have killed many. And like has already been pointed out people have impersonated doctors as well.

Patients can have a heart attack while waiting in line, so that is one way they can “die in retail pharmacy”. Another way is they can be shot from a robbery gone wrong.

Ok kidding aside, what exactly do you want in an example? I can think of countless ways for a pharmacist to make a mistake that could kill a patient. They could put warfarin in a bottle that should contain something that isn’t warfarin. They could miss an allergy and the patient could die.

What exactly do you mean when you say you have never seen a way for a retail pharmacists to make a fatal error?

I will say this is some A+ trolling though. The idea that retail pharmacies don’t make life saving interventions is just laughable. Or that mistakes won’t harm patients. Common on. Give me a break.

Now the argument that techs could be trained to replace us with a reasonable margin of error...maybe. Certainly the best techs could be. The vast majority...I have my doubts.

Reactions: 3 users
New grads in San Diego just reported that they were offered to slave for CVS at $50/hour. CVS they even tried to lower the pay even more with scare tactics.

Read and weep.
$50/hr at 40 hrs/ week is $104k. Geeks with a bachelor's in AI Engineering are doubling that salary, just a few years out of school. If we're going to make this about money, let's step out of the "make them be doctor's and lawyers and such" mentality. This is no longer the world our parents grew up in!

$50/hr at 40 hrs/ week is $104k. Geeks with a bachelor's in AI Engineering are doubling that salary, just a few years out of school. If we're going to make this about money, let's step out of the "make them be doctor's and lawyers and such" mentality. This is no longer the world our parents grew up in!

Except no new grad is getting 40 hours. Most likely 30 or 32 which is $78,000-83,200.

Except no new grad is getting 40 hours. Most likely 30 or 32 which is $78,000-83,200.
All the more reason to break from these career paths that leave you with lots of debt but little certainty. As we move towards a world where the need for human capital in the work force diminishes daily, we may all want to jump on the AI train.

You set the bar high for rph performance: Don't kill anyone. I am afraid I agree with Chrish in this thread. Many retail orders are ok "as is.", but there are many problematic orders: have you forgotten about the opiate epidemic? Based on your previous responses on other threads, i think that you are not a troll, you are just closed minded and won't consider others ideas.

Good luck having a tech run the pharmacy with me there. Not happening. Good luck having techs replace rphs that won't last. We'll see where the market bottoms out for rph wages.

You set the bar high for rph performance: Don't kill anyone. I am afraid I agree with Chrish in this thread. Many retail orders are ok "as is.", but there are many problematic orders: have you forgotten about the opiate epidemic? Based on your previous responses on other threads, i think that you are not a troll, you are just closed minded and won't consider others ideas.

Good luck having a tech run the pharmacy with me there. Not happening. Good luck having techs replace rphs that won't last. We'll see where the market bottoms out for rph wages.

CVS is already $45 in some markets. Will probably $35-40 in a few years.

My comment about techs running the show was about dropping a new grad into a retail vs hospital setting, not for an experienced Rph like yourself. Even if a new grad has no work experience, they'll be fine in a CVS. Not true for a hospital.

Last edited:
CVS is already $45 in some markets. Will probably $35-40 in a few years.

My comment about techs running the show was about dropping a new grad into a retail vs hospital setting, not for an experienced Rph like yourself. Even if a new grad has no work experience, they'll be fine in a CVS. Not true for a hospital.

I follow. It all depends. I actually had both hospital jobs and major retailer out of school. The retail position was harder because I often worked by myself no techs, while at the hospital I was surrounded by help. Plus when you work in a hospital the hospital is the face of the organization while in retail, the rph is the face.

I am waiting when the rph shortage reoccurs to interview with CVS and Walgreens and pit them against each other.. by cutting wages, they are reducing supply. Now we just need an increase in demand.

I follow. It all depends. I actually had both hospital jobs and major retailer out of school. The retail position was harder because I often worked by myself no techs, while at the hospital I was surrounded by help. Plus when you work in a hospital the hospital is the face of the organization while in retail, the rph is the face.

I am waiting when the rph shortage reoccurs to interview with CVS and Walgreens and pit them against each other.. by cutting wages, they are reducing supply. Now we just need an increase in demand.

I believe it will be 15 years before there's a pharmacist shortage again, if ever. By then there will probably be one company called CVS-Greens.

How exactly does cutting wages result in a reduction of supply? The supply of 15,000 new grads being pumped out per year is independent of wages... and before you say "there are less applicants to pharmacy school," that's an irrelevant metric so long as the total number of applicants still exceeds the total number of seats per year. Last I checked, there are still 15,000 grads per year despite a smaller applicant pool.

• Hmm
How exactly does cutting wages result in a reduction of supply? The supply of 15,000 new grads being pumped out per year is independent of wages... and before you say "there are less applicants to pharmacy school," that's an irrelevant metric so long as the total number of applicants still exceeds the total number of seats per year. Last I checked, there are still 15,000 grads per year despite a smaller applicant pool.

Well think about it for a minute. Just because one graduates pharmacy school doesn't mean you can practice still have to deal with pesky Naplex and mpje. Then comes the job itself. The working conditions have worsened . So what you end up with is less invested and intelligent staff for a harder job. There is greater turnover.

Well think about it for a minute. Just because one graduates pharmacy school doesn't mean you can practice still have to deal with pesky Naplex and mpje. Then comes the job itself. The working conditions have worsened . So what you end up with is less invested and intelligent staff for a harder job. There is greater turnover.
The NAPLEX and MPJE have stayed par for the course through the years, it's not like they've gotten more difficult to pass. And worse working conditions has nothing to do with wages...

The NAPLEX and MPJE have stayed par for the course through the years, it's not like they've gotten more difficult to pass. And worse working conditions has nothing to do with wages...

Actually, I think that the nabp and state boards have made the naplex and mpje harder within the last decade.

I link it all together so it's easy for you to follow: rph surplus--> lower wages--> less applicants and less qualified applicants + a more challenging work environment--> greater staff turnover--> lower wages --> less applicants and less qualified applicants--> more staff turnover

I don't think the chains have cut the wages to a point that the rph surplus has turned to a deficit but they are fueling the change. They can still pay good wages and make a profit but it's short sighted to cut pay now and too far.

• Hmm
Pharmacists never have been reimbursed for their knowledge.What if
Patient wants OTC suggestion.You agree but tell him it will add 2 dollars to price.
Run out of refills.We will contact MD . 5 dollar surcharge
Insurance issue .We can call.5 dollar surcharge.
Change meds to something cheaper.5 dollar surcharge.
Call another store if out of stock. 5 dollar charge.
Just think what would this do to our workload if we starting actually getting paid for our time.