-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
San Diego Vs San Antonio
Started by Sparda29
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm really really surprised there are openings in San Diego. This is is one of those "super saturated" markets everyone refers to when talking about California.
As for the comparison...really? you're asking about San Diego vs. San Antonio? The answer is so blatantly obvious to me, hahaha.
As for the comparison...really? you're asking about San Diego vs. San Antonio? The answer is so blatantly obvious to me, hahaha.
CVS Recruiter told me they have openings in these two markets, and I'd have to pick which one to pursue.
I like both California and Texas. How's the cost of living in these two cities?
Considering I lived in San Antonio for yrs, the COL is pretty cheap compared to most large cities. Not sure about San Diego but I am sure it's pretty expensive.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Considering I lived in San Antonio for yrs, the COL is pretty cheap compared to most large cities. Not sure about San Diego but I am sure it's pretty expensive.
Yeah, but is that COL worth the ****ty climate and location. Or should I say, is the awesome climate, and proximity to ocean worth the increased COL in San Diego? Other option I was told of is Westchester County, NY. I hate that ****ing place with a passion.
San Diego.. of course! Although if I had to pick a city to live if I were moving to Texas.. San Antonio would be my pick.
Well Sparda, I really think it comes down to what you personally think of the cities. Have you visited both places enough to get a feel for what it would be like to live there?
Reading comments from SA fans and SD natives would give you both sides of the story, but who knows.... you may not like the things that they mention and you might enjoy the stuff that people forget to mention.
Reading comments from SA fans and SD natives would give you both sides of the story, but who knows.... you may not like the things that they mention and you might enjoy the stuff that people forget to mention.
Visit both, some things to consider:
1) CPJE is more difficult than the MPJE
2) Where in SD? La Jolla? East County? Southside? O-side/Carlsbad? RB? SD metro is a huge area.
3) Both places probably have pretty good mexican food
4) You'll never need a jacket, a heater, snow tires, or a heavy coat ever again in SD.
5) You'd probably KEEP a boat load more money living in SA.
6) It's harder to get a job in CA vs. Texas, so if you want to leave CA for TX, it's going to be easier than leaving TX for CA.
I'm generally a fan of east coasters moving west for kicks. If you don't like it, you can always move (see #6).
1) CPJE is more difficult than the MPJE
2) Where in SD? La Jolla? East County? Southside? O-side/Carlsbad? RB? SD metro is a huge area.
3) Both places probably have pretty good mexican food
4) You'll never need a jacket, a heater, snow tires, or a heavy coat ever again in SD.
5) You'd probably KEEP a boat load more money living in SA.
6) It's harder to get a job in CA vs. Texas, so if you want to leave CA for TX, it's going to be easier than leaving TX for CA.
I'm generally a fan of east coasters moving west for kicks. If you don't like it, you can always move (see #6).
Visit both, some things to consider:
1) CPJE is more difficult than the MPJE
2) Where in SD? La Jolla? East County? Southside? O-side/Carlsbad? RB? SD metro is a huge area.
3) Both places probably have pretty good mexican food
4) You'll never need a jacket, a heater, snow tires, or a heavy coat ever again in SD.
5) You'd probably KEEP a boat load more money living in SA.
6) It's harder to get a job in CA vs. Texas, so if you want to leave CA for TX, it's going to be easier than leaving TX for CA.
I'm generally a fan of east coasters moving west for kicks. If you don't like it, you can always move (see #6).
I visited both Texas and California in the last month. Was in Houston, and LA/Orange County. I didn't really like Houston (well, didn't have a car when I went there) but I really liked LA/Orange County. I'm guessing San Diego would be similar to LA/Orange County but more fun.
SD all the way! Maybe I should contact CVS to transfer me there lol.
I've been to both places and I think they're both great. I actually know a pharmacist that graduated a few years ago and was working for Walgreens in SD. They made her travel around a lot just for enough hours. She ended up moving to Dallas for a better job. I'm surprised to hear that they're hiring. I'd vote for SD because you're still young and it's time to have fun.
But aren't you doing a residency?
I've been to both places and I think they're both great. I actually know a pharmacist that graduated a few years ago and was working for Walgreens in SD. They made her travel around a lot just for enough hours. She ended up moving to Dallas for a better job. I'm surprised to hear that they're hiring. I'd vote for SD because you're still young and it's time to have fun.
But aren't you doing a residency?
SD all the way! Maybe I should contact CVS to transfer me there lol.
I've been to both places and I think they're both great. I actually know a pharmacist that graduated a few years ago and was working for Walgreens in SD. They made her travel around a lot just for enough hours. She ended up moving to Dallas for a better job. I'm surprised to hear that they're hiring. I'd vote for SD because you're still young and it's time to have fun.
But aren't you doing a residency?
Yes, this is the backup plan being set-up.
It's surprising to me that a) retail salaries in desirable california markets are up and b) there remain openings in retail at this stage.
My guess is that all of the intern cutting they did back in 2008-2009 is now catching up and they misjudged the drop in demand.
My guess is that all of the intern cutting they did back in 2008-2009 is now catching up and they misjudged the drop in demand.
It's surprising to me that a) retail salaries in desirable california markets are up and b) there remain openings in retail at this stage.
My guess is that all of the intern cutting they did back in 2008-2009 is now catching up and they misjudged the drop in demand.
Well, it is the suck out east. Nassau County, Suffolk County, Queens, Manhattan are all filled up.
COL is super low in san Antone...one of the lowest in tx cities. And tx doesn't have state income tax. I bet $110k in san antone is about $180k in san Diego while you can have just as much fun in tx. Austin is just up the road.
What about all the heat though? I guess being close to the beach might help in the summer.
What about all the heat though? I guess being close to the beach might help in the summer.
with the 6 years i lived on the california coast, i think i had to run my a/c about a total of 3 weeks total, same with heat (usually when a freak heat wave/cold snap came). Actually, heat would be on in the winter but usually to maintain a temp 10-15 degrees warmer than outside.
Avg. electric bill for 3 people was like $40-$50/mo; avg. gas bill was maybe $25-30/mo. My dorms didn't even have a/c and it was fine.
EDIT: granted the taxes/other COL will blast through any a/c or heat savings, just something to think about.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, but is that COL worth the ****ty climate and location. Or should I say, is the awesome climate, and proximity to ocean worth the increased COL in San Diego? Other option I was told of is Westchester County, NY. I hate that ****ing place with a passion.
Depends on what's important to you and your preferences. The only bad thing about living in Texas is the heat in the summertime along with the humidity. Everything else is more than bearable.
What about all the heat though? I guess being close to the beach might help in the summer.
San Antonio is no where close to any beaches. The coastline is at least 1-2 hours away.
Depends on what's important to you and your preferences. The only bad thing about living in Texas is the heat in the summertime along with the humidity. Everything else is more than bearable.
One of the things I like about Texas is the no state income tax, cheap homes, easiness of purchasing firearms and getting concealed carry permits.
CVS Recruiter told me they have openings in these two markets, and I'd have to pick which one to pursue.
I like both California and Texas. How's the cost of living in these two cities?
Hmm, just because a recruiter tells you there are openings doesn't mean they will be there when you apply.
Hmm, just because a recruiter tells you there are openings doesn't mean they will be there when you apply.
Already applied.
Already applied.
But you won't be a licensed pharmacist for a while. You expect them to hold the spot open for you?
I bet sparta chooses SD when he sees the texas pharmacy law book 

One of the things I like about Texas is the no state income tax, cheap homes, easiness of purchasing firearms and getting concealed carry permits.
Well there you go.
Well there you go.
The other thing would be that my best friends might be moving out to LA. San Diego would be closest to them.
with the 6 years i lived on the california coast, i think i had to run my a/c about a total of 3 weeks total, same with heat (usually when a freak heat wave/cold snap came). Actually, heat would be on in the winter but usually to maintain a temp 10-15 degrees warmer than outside.
Avg. electric bill for 3 people was like $40-$50/mo; avg. gas bill was maybe $25-30/mo. My dorms didn't even have a/c and it was fine.
EDIT: granted the taxes/other COL will blast through any a/c or heat savings, just something to think about.
Well, I have lived in SA the majority of my life and it does get ridiculously hot during the summer. As far as electric bills for running your A/C being super high, it really depends on the house you live in. I have a 4 bedroom house that is about 4 years old and chose radiant barrier to be installed in my attic to help better insulate my house. My highest electric bill was around ~190/month during the summer months (100+ degrees). I never broke $200. My lowest electric bill was ~80/month. Yet I do know people with older houses who spend a lot more than me.
If, it was me I would choose SA but I am biased and plus all my family lives in SA and I really love living here.
You just need to figure where you will be the happiest.🙂
California is going to break off and sink into the ocean soon. I'd go with Texas!
California is going to break off and sink into the ocean soon. I'd go with Texas!
If that's the case, he should join rxlea and move to AZ.... beach front property! That $120k foreclosure just turned into a $10M beach home. 😎
If that's the case, he should join rxlea and move to AZ.... beach front property! That $120k foreclosure just turned into a $10M beach home. 😎

If that's the case, he should join rxlea and move to AZ.... beach front property! That $120k foreclosure just turned into a $10M beach home. 😎
Beginning to think this is the only thing that will save my property value (central Phoenix). 🙁
Oh well, even if nobody else thinks it's worth anything, it's better than throwing money at a landlord.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K