SAT/ACT FOR U OF CHICAGO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moo

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, I emailed U of Chicago regarding the SAT/ACT scores, and the reply was:

The ACT and SAT scores are very important to the Committee, but you have a
choose[sic] if you want to put them on the application.

Members don't see this ad.

the penn state secondary asks for these test scores too. geez, i never thought i'd have to drag them out again once i got into college!

Members don't see this ad :)
Who wrote that, Don Corleone? ..."Yous guys have a choose[sic] if you want to list your SATs. Does yous want to do that?"

Aw what the heck, I'll just give them what they want.

hey sandflea, when did you receive the penn state secondary? I'm applying there as well and was wondering how time consuming their secondary application is. Is it just basic info or a lot of essays? Thanks!

PSU's secondary is extremely basic. just a bunch of yes/no questions pertaining to whether or not you've applied to PSU before, SAT/ACT scores, and a question asking 'why PSU', with a 50-word limit for your answer. and it's $55. i received it yesterday (wednesday) and finished it off in about 10 minutes. definitely the type of secondary i like best! :D

Thanks sandflea, glad to hear that it's not too time consuming! Anyone know what's up with all these schools asking for SAT/ACT scores? How much do they factor into the equation? Are they trying to perfect the correlation between these standardized tests scores and the USMLE? Does a higher SAT/ACT make up for a slightly lower MCAT?

How much do you think they use ACT scores in making decisions? I did horrible on my ACTs (23), but I've improved my test taking abilities and have been doing well on MCAT practice exams. Can my ACT score hurt my application to the point where they say "Nope, you screwed yourself back in high school!". I thought medical schools didn't care about your high school crendentials?! Admissions is getting crazier and crazier! What are they gonna look at next?! My grade school transcripts?! :mad:

I don't know, but I'm hoping these SAT/ACT scores are not going to be weighing in much. I mean, they aren't even asking you to send official score reports to them, so how much weight can you put to that? I can just lie and say I got a 1600 on the SAT and nobody would know...

I'm just wondering...you all keep saying you can lie on the application about your boards and noone would know...but...doesn't the school you're graduating from know? what prevents a med school from calling up a certain college and saying send me the names and scores for all your students applying here? or what is the standardized test score for so and so? This doesn't seem that unlikely....also, I think they know some of the applicants will lie, so...this is just one more way for you to screw up...because if you lie...they might tell other schools so and so lied...blah blah blah..who wants a lieing doctor?? :rolleyes: :D

When I applied to PSU last year, I was wondering the same thing. Why did they need my SAT scores? So... I sent them. I think that PSU only uses them if they have 2 equally qualified candidates. My SAT scores apparently weren't as good as someone in admissions thought they should be (There was a note in my file that my SAT scores could be an issue. I didn't think they were all that bad), but they didn't prevent me from getting in.

I posted a question on a thread about ACT but noone ever answered: Have any of you that scored in the 20's (I made a 27) on the ACT done well(30+) on the MCAT? All the premedical community seems to have made 30's on ACT when they took it!!!

Originally posted by Benji Courtney:
•I posted a question on a thread about ACT but noone ever answered: Have any of you that scored in the 20's (I made a 27) on the ACT done well(30+) on the MCAT? All the premedical community seems to have made 30's on ACT when they took it!!!•

Sure, it is quite possible. I did it myself. Like I've said in another thread -- do not sweat these scores. They are likely not influential in an admissions decision!

I got a 29 on the ACT (twice!) and I got a 35 on the MCAT. Of course, I never, ever studied for the ACT abd I studied for 3 months for the MCAT.