You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Scared
Started by OMTGUY
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ewagner,
Your school is even less expensive than mine. They estimate that we will be 180k-200k in the hole just with tuition and living expenses. Of course tuition increases 5% each year and the 3rd and 4th years will cost more than the first 2 because we will be traveling for rotations/residency interviews. But that's okay, I'm willing to go through this because I will get a chance to enter a profession that I think I will enjoy for my entire career.
EDGAR
Your school is even less expensive than mine. They estimate that we will be 180k-200k in the hole just with tuition and living expenses. Of course tuition increases 5% each year and the 3rd and 4th years will cost more than the first 2 because we will be traveling for rotations/residency interviews. But that's okay, I'm willing to go through this because I will get a chance to enter a profession that I think I will enjoy for my entire career.
EDGAR
Money is a BIG concern for me too. What about choosing a residency and then hating it or having to repeat courses etc... I guess those are some of the big ones. People who have previous experience in a particular area of medicine already have a leg up on those of us who are 'new' to the field. Just hope I make the right choice. Is gross anatomy THAT tough???
Being a student all over again, cramming for tests, and many a sleepless night are on the top of my list. But looking at the big picture, and knowing I can handle the stress makes the sacrifices well worth the effort. Being prepared mentally is a must. My advice enjoy your vacation!
[This message has been edited by Diane E (edited July 16, 1999).]
[This message has been edited by Diane E (edited July 16, 1999).]
This is a high-risk investment into your future. You have to have the mindset that you WILL make this pay off both emotionally and financially. Make it happen.
MONEY!!!
That's my big concern - I hate credit. I think that credit is one of the hidden cancers of society (2nd worst - the worst being bureaucracy of course) - so putting myself in such a debt (~$200K) is not somethin' I'm looking froward to (especially that with interest I'll have to repay close to $300K).. yeahh.. (NOT).
--Nicolas--
WesternU'03
That's my big concern - I hate credit. I think that credit is one of the hidden cancers of society (2nd worst - the worst being bureaucracy of course) - so putting myself in such a debt (~$200K) is not somethin' I'm looking froward to (especially that with interest I'll have to repay close to $300K).. yeahh.. (NOT).
--Nicolas--
WesternU'03
You might want to consider that a part of what you perceive as fear is nothing more than excitement. Even good things create a stress that has to be reacted to. Your fear is a source of energy that properly channeled will carry you through discouragement and even drive you to experience success. My experience with medical students over the years has taught me that your concerns and fears are normal behaviors for a person who is strongly motivated to achieve a difficult goal and who is attempting much of that task on faith. What I would like for you to see is the dramatic maturation that occurs between that tense first week and graduation. As I watch our students walk across the stage and then remember them as I knew them in those first weeks and months I experience a deep sense of tranquility.
I don't expect you to feel something you haven't experienced so I'm not even going to give the advice to just calm down. What I will tell you is that you are normal, and if you can stay normal throughout the cycle of excitement and disappointment that occurs in medical education, you might possibly come to understand why I keep going to graduation.
my best,
jwpelley
www.ttuhsc.edu/success/
I don't expect you to feel something you haven't experienced so I'm not even going to give the advice to just calm down. What I will tell you is that you are normal, and if you can stay normal throughout the cycle of excitement and disappointment that occurs in medical education, you might possibly come to understand why I keep going to graduation.
my best,
jwpelley
www.ttuhsc.edu/success/
What really scares me is the first week of school. I still have so much to do before I move, and knowing that I have a whole lot more to do when I get there seems to make it worse. I spent the entire summer relaxing and having fun and in only a week and a half I'm going to be doing so much that I won't even know which way I'm going. Moving into a new place far from home, buying thousands of dollars of stuff with money I don't have, and trying to deal w/ the start of school seems so overwhelming. I am assuming or at least hoping that once I get the first couple days or weeks behind me I will feel more confident about everything.
You said it brother! I have the same fears/concerns as you!
Also, regarding the money, check me if I'm wrong, but my calculations are that on a ten year re-payment plan you will pay more than double what you borrow.
AD
Also, regarding the money, check me if I'm wrong, but my calculations are that on a ten year re-payment plan you will pay more than double what you borrow.
AD