This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agent Michael Scarn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With those stats and decent extracurriculars I'd say you could probably have a reasonable shot anywhere, including top 10. You could have a bit more research, but I doubt that would kill what seems to be an overall strong application.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you have a very competitive application which is awesome because it means that you can tailor your school list more to your personal professional goals and not necessarily just where you have the best shot of getting in. That being said, what is your state of residence? You should most likely apply to your in-state public options. What are your goals? You should investigate programs which might be the most amenable to your particular goals and apply there.

With your app no doors are closed.

Seems solid for any mid/mid-upper tier school. Not sure about Top 10 though. Although being a national champion 2x stands out, it was in D3 which is not near the level of D1. The research is also very lackluster for top tier. I would apply anywhere you want, but don't get your hopes up too high.

Nothing wrong with aiming high.

U WI
Harvard
U Chicago
Wash U
Northwestern
Pitt
any of the Manhattan Titans
Stanford
Keck
Emory
BU
UCLA
UCSD
Mayo
Case
Rochester
U Miami
Tulane
Hofstra
U MI
U IA
U VT
SUNY SB
Oh State
IU
Einstein

Wisconsin Resident, 519 MCAT, 3.97 GPA

-About 200hrs volunteering at hospital and nursing home
-80 hours shadowing in diverse specialties
-Several D3 NCAA All-American honors and two individual national titles as an athlete
-1 summer research (chart review), presented abstract at a big conference this fall
-Taking a gap year and working in a healthcare field (not as a professional, similar skill level as scribing)
-President of a student religious organization and editor of an undergraduate academic journal of religion

Where should I be looking? Not sure I really have the research chops to get into a big research school, but obviously my numbers are pretty good. I was thinking around 12-13 schools.

First time poster, sorry if I broke some kind of rule!

Thanks for your input thus far. This is what I came up with:

UW
MCW
Minnesota
Iowa
Creighton
SLU
Georgetown
Kimmel
Vermont
Rosalind Franklin
EVMS
Duke
Emory
Vanderbilt

Let me know if you all have any suggestions or see major missteps. Thanks a lot!

You're going to be screened out of Georgetown, RFU, EVMS, and possibly Jefferson and Vermont due to stats, so I might drop them. I would consider adding Wake Forest, UVA, Case Western, UMichigan, Northwestern, Rochester, and UChicago, keeping what appear to be your geographic preferences in mind. I would check to make sure Minnesota takes out of state students (and I hear Minnesota and Wisconsin are bitter rivals :p) before applying. You could also throw in a few more reaches if you want.

Could you explain the screens to me? Are RFU and EVMS really screening out 519s?

As for the UM OOS thing, you're right, it isn't a great rate. I have a few family connections in the area and thought I would throw my hat in the ring, even if the chances are slim.

It's not screening as much as it is yield protection. The median MCAT at EVMS is ~30. The 90th percnetile MCAT at EVMS during my cycle (14-15) was a 36. You have the equivalent of a 37 - it's unlikely that they would think you would choose them over other schools without some significant reason, so why would they offer you a spot? If you want to end up in Virginia, you have a better shot at UVA or even VCU than EVMS.