School list for first-time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi all, applying for the first time after taking two years off after college. Can someone look over and comment on my school list? Looking to keep it between 15-20 schools.

LizzyM 74-76
balanced experiences, a little shadowing.
California resident

1. UC Irvine
  2. UC Davis
  3. UC Los Angeles
  4. UC Riverside (I'm from the region)
  5. UC San Francisco
  6. USC
  7. Boston University
  8. Brown University
  9. Case Western Reserve University
  10. Duke University
  11. New York University
  12. The Ohio State University
  13. Oregon Health Science University (family in Portland)
  14. University of Cincinnati
  15. University of Iowa
Are there any schools I should remove or that I should be considering? Especially looking for OOS-friendly "safety schools" that won't pass over my applications because of my mcat/gpa. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you looking for in a school? Would you attend all of these if you got in? Drexel has a big class size for ex, so think about things like that while building. What about UCSD?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably remove OHSU(rarely takes people from CA), Brown(as low yield as it gets) and Drexel(no point---they know your stats are well above their 90th percentile and they have 15+k apps to get through).

I see about 10 schools on your current list you could go in saying you have a reasonable shot at getting a II at. Not bad, but you can get that a little higher especially in CA. Go through MSAR and find another half dozen or so schools with stats in your range. Dont associate lower stat schools like Drexel as being the "safer" or "higher yield" options for you. Schools with big classes with stats in your range(ie Pitt, Northwestern, CWRU etc) are your best bet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You're out of Drexel's league. GrapesofRath has a nice list... Baylor would be one to consider as well.

Reactions: 1 user
You should probably remove OHSU(rarely takes people from CA), Brown(as low yield as it gets) and Drexel(no point---they know your stats are well above their 90th percentile and they have 15+k apps to get through).

I see about 10 schools on your current list you could go in saying you have a reasonable shot at getting a II at. Not bad, but you can get that a little higher especially in CA. Go through MSAR and find another half dozen or so schools with stats in your range. Dont associate lower stat schools like Drexel as being the "safer" or "higher yield" options for you. Schools with big classes with stats in your range(ie Pitt, Northwestern, CWRU etc) are your best bet.
Thanks I'll look into it :)

Hi all, applying for the first time after taking two years off after college. Can someone look over and comment on my school list? Looking to keep it between 15-20 schools.

GPA: 3.84 ; MCAT: 520
Significant volunteer and leadership activities
Significant research experience, presentations, no publications
Shadow: ~40 hrs
California resident

1. UC Irvine
  2. UC Davis
  3. UC Los Angeles
  4. UC Riverside (I'm from the region)
  5. UC San Francisco
  6. USC
  7. Boston University
  8. Brown University
  9. Case Western Reserve University
  10. Duke University
  11. New York University
  12. The Ohio State University
  13. Oregon Health Science University (family in Portland)
  14. University of Cincinnati
  15. University of Iowa
Are there any schools I should remove or that I should be considering? Especially looking for OOS-friendly "safety schools" that won't pass over my applications because of my mcat/gpa. Thanks in advance!
Looks like you are Midwest friendly, consider adding U of Michigan, Northwestern, Vanderbilt. I would add UCSD too if you are California resident.

I would drop BU, too many apps. Others already commented on Brown (they like their own). Oregon needs a bit more than family in the area (are they OHS faculty/staff, did they attend OHS)? Need strong ties to OHS, not just the area.

Reactions: 1 users
You're out of Drexel's league. GrapesofRath has a nice list... Baylor would be one to consider as well.
Hi! Just curious, why Baylor? I ask because I've always thought of Texas schools to be relatively hands-off. I looked into Baylor, it's a great school. But their OOS numbers do not bring me much comfort. x)