School List Help - 3.9 / 513 -> 520 / Third time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avocado toast

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I plan on applying a third-time next cycle with a 3.9/520. In my previous cycles, I applied with a 3.9 / 513 (125 in CP) / 3000 scribing hours / 200 hours research / 1000 hours volunteering / 1000 hours leadership / 0 shadowing hours ):. Over those two cycles, I had 2 IIs -> 2 WLs and 4 IIs -> 3 WLs, 1 R (respectively).

Next cycle I will apply with a 3.9/520 (CA ORM) and will add 3000 hours clinical research (new LOR), 500 hours tutoring, 20 hours shadowing, new MCAT score, new BCPM course + LOR, two volunteer recognition awards, and will apply early on day 1. Does anyone have advice on how I should go about creating a school list with a 513/520? Thanks! :)
Third time??? You have an issue with your interview/application that you are clearly not disclosing. With 3K scribing hours, 1K volunteering, etc., shadowing isn't going to mean much. 513 should be good for a number of schools unless you are shooting way too high.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah to the above. I'm not sure where your pitfalls are, but they're not present here. Did you ask for feedback from the school after you got the R about what you could have improved? That could help narrow where you're struggling

Members don't see this ad :)
I had previously applied with 0 shadowing hours so I was hoping that adding a few would help. Unfortunately, none of the schools I interviewed at provide feedback. However, a school that rejected me pre II advised me to retake the MCAT (which I did), get shadowing hours, volunteer, and freshen up essays (PS was okay they said). The only red flag/pitfall I am aware of is that one of my professors/PI used the wrong name in the last 90% of her LOR and I sent that letter to every single school both cycles. Otherwise I prepared extensively for interviews (hired a mock advisor) and had one of my interviewers provide feedback that he gave me the highest possible score.
513 was good enough to get you some interviews and yet you got WL'ed. 520 was good enough for more interviews, but you have an R and 3 WL's. Sorry something is still not adding up, and your own assessment of the situation is obviously not the same as how others have evaluated you.

Also answer the question from @jwow1337 : feedback from the school that rejected you post-interview?

513 was good enough to get you some interviews and yet you got WL'ed. 520 was good enough for more interviews, but you have an R and 3 WL's. Sorry something is still not adding up, and your own assessment of the situation is obviously not the same as how others have evaluated you.

Also answer the question from @jwow1337 : feedback from the school that rejected you post-interview?
Thanks for the response. I apologize for being unclear--I have yet to apply with the 520; I applied both cycles with the 513 (125 in CP). The 520 will be a new addition to my third cycle. Also none of the schools I interviewed at provide feedback post II.

When you reapply I suggest all these schools:
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UC Davis
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
TCU-UNT
Tulane
USF Morsani
Miami
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
Wake Forest
Duke
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
U Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Seton Hall
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Dartmouth
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Western Michigan
Northwestern
Washington University (St. Louis)
St. Louis
Iowa
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. If only 1 or 2 interviews by November then apply to DO schools in November and include these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

I'm super unqualified to be giving advice, but why not lol. I'm pretty sure the reason you're not getting more interviews/acceptances has very little to do with your EC's and is more likely due to...

1) Bad interview skills - Even if you think you're amazing, do a mock interview with a medical student (not a random family member) and see what they say.
2) Poor essays - You're applying to a LOT of schools, which means a LOT of secondaries. Don't underestimate them one bit; put your life and soul into each essay as if you're deeply in love with each school. Also does your PS have any glaring mistakes?
3) Bad LOR - Are all your LOR writers decent human beings? Do any of them have anything against you?
4) Institutional Action

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
I usually don't advocate for consultants but you should look into hiring someone to review your essays and prep you for interviews since you had 2 bad cycles with 3.9/513.

Yes he was involved in both interviewing applicants and contributing to adcom deliberations.

I was actually looking into biting the bullet and hiring one this cycle! Do you have any experience with consultants or recommendations for who to hi
Sorry I don't know anyone. My kid didn't use one.

Yes he was involved in both interviewing applicants and contributing to adcom deliberations.

I was actually looking into biting the bullet and hiring one this cycle! Do you have any experience with consultants or recommendations for who to hire?
I don't really know.. Your results don't scream "just random luck." If you do make a list, do not include any of the schools you have already interviewed at. Somehow they just don't think you fit them. I also will be skeptical that a consultant is going to do any better than the people you enlisted to interview you and you'd just be throwing away money you need.

Obviously you can reapply. While we have preferences of taking most recent or best MCAT scores, those of us who screen applications can surmise by the dates of the administrations that by taking more than one exam you are likely a reapplicant if you are reporting a 513 then a 520. Some astute screener or adcom member is going to wonder what your issue was that you couldn't get in previously (though many of us will say, it doesn't matter).

Thanks again for the reply, @Mr.Smile12. How do you view post II WLs? I am just curious.. if I was a poor fit for these schools wouldn't I have gotten a post II R? Most of the schools I interviewed at did send out a good number of post II Rs.

Do you think having a LOR from a professor/PI with the wrong first name in 90% of it could contribute to my post II WL results? I will definitely be removing this letter for next cycle but I have been trying to identify ways I can improve my chances next year aside from seeking more interview prep and applying day 1.
Any WL before CYMS in my opinion is that you have a good shot at an offer. I have to see the stats again but while most people get one offer, there are many who get more than one by the time that process begins. You may not be a poor fit but there may be others whose fit is closer. How fast WL move is never absolutely predictable, but history can give some insight.

Remember that all deposits are refundable until May so anyone can easily drop their offers at any time. It also means anyone with an offer can hold it as long as possible and force other alternates to continue waiting.

P.S. LOR mistaken name... embarrassing but not really that problematic. Next time tell that evsluator to correct the letter.

Reactions: 1 users