School list help.. High Mcat/Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToBeDr.IndecisiveGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'll be applying to medical school this cycle and would really like some help with my list. I would like to apply to both MD and DO schools.

Stats: So my gpa is 3.4 both science and cumulative. My MCAT score on the other hand is 524. I have an upward trend, but I did take a gap year ( medical reasons; long story ).

Research: 1 year ( no pubs )
Community Service : Big Brother Big Sister ( 1 year ), Salvation Army ( 1 year ), University Tutor ( 1 year ),
VP of 2 nonprofit organization, Intern for District Congress ( 1 year ), and etc...
Clinical Experience: Medical scribe x 3 years
Shadowing: Cardiovascular surgeon ( 1 year ), Pulmonologist ( 1 year ), Neurosurgeon ( 1 year )

So far my list follows:

UC Davis
UC Berkley- Completing undergrad here.
UC Irvine
UCLA

State schools: Graduated HS in LV

UNLV
Reno
NYU
Dartmouth
Jefferson
Temple
Loyola
Rochester
Tufts
Boston University
Tulane
Albany
Hofstra
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Vermont
Drexel
GW

DO:

Nova
Touro- Cali
Touro- NY
Touro- LV
Kansas City
LECOM

Thank you !

hopefully I can get help from:
@Faha @LizzyM and @gonnif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep Tulane on there! They’re known to forgive low GPAs for high MCATs. Make sure to point out your upward trend and what you did to improve your GPA though.

Are you a California resident or a Nevada resident?

Yes, I'm considered a California resident and a Nevada resident ( But that's only because I finished HS out there ). But I'm still a little hesitant to apply to the UC schools, I'm not sure how they would view me. ( Not sure if they would consider me as a resident, even with all my documents and work history )

Last edited:
Delete U CO, add Hofstra, Mayo, EVMS, Wake, UCSF, BUT, Pitt, Case, keep Duke,

Do you think my stats are competitive for top tier schools like Duke, Stanford, Brown or Yale? Would graduating from a top tier Uni help me if I apply with my following stats? I know that my MCAT score is, but I feel like my gpa is my biggest issue.

Do you think my stats are competitive for top tier schools like Duke, Stanford, Brown or Yale? Would graduating from a top tier Uni help me if I apply with my following stats? I know that my MCAT score is, but I feel like my gpa is my biggest issue.
Of these schools, the only one I know that rewards reinvention is Duke.

Reactions: 1 users
Ohio State and Wake Forest also like the high MCAT while forgiving the GPA. Ohio State takes about 50% OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, are you going to report your IA in your med school applications?

OP, are you going to report your IA in your med school applications?

I was wondering why OP had a mid to low tier school list (and even DO schools) with a 524 MCAT, but this makes a lot of sense.

There are some top tier schools that are more forgiving of a lower GPA especially with an upward trend like you have. Other schools have GPA screens unfortunately that might keep you out with a 3.4. I agree with Goro that you definitely still have a shot at some of the top tier schools that are known for rewarding reinvention. You should definitely apply to the schools Goro suggested

I was wondering why OP had a mid to low tier school list (and even DO schools) with a 524 MCAT, but this makes a lot of sense.

I'm only applying to mid tier or DO schools because of my gpa and the gap year I took. It has nothing to do with the IA ( which I never got ) Even with a pretty high MCAT, that's not the only thing that will get me into a med school. Med school admins holistically look at apps.

Last edited:
There are some top tier schools that are more forgiving of a lower GPA especially with an upward trend like you have. Other schools have GPA screens unfortunately that might keep you out with a 3.4. I agree with Goro that you definitely still have a shot at some of the top tier schools that are known for rewarding reinvention. You should definitely apply to the schools Goro suggested

I think I can get my gpa to a 3.5 with my summer classes, so I don't get screened out from some of the schools. I hope that would help my case and make it stronger since I am continuing on with the upper trend.

DO:

Nova
Touro- Cali
Touro- NY
Touro- LV
Kansas City
LECOM

I’m curious as to why you’re applying to DO schools. With 524 MCAT (above MD matriculation average) and 3.5 GPA (below MD matriculation average but within the range), surely it is better to apply to low-tier MD schools as a safety net instead? Maybe someone else can comment as to
whether I am completely off base here.

UC Davis
UC Berkley- Completing undergrad here.
UC Irvine
UCLA

Would you be willing to consider University of Southern California- Keck? They are willing to overlook lower GPAs for high MCAT scores.

I’m curious as to why you’re applying to DO schools. With 524 MCAT (above MD matriculation average) and 3.5 GPA (below MD matriculation average but within the range), surely it is better to apply to low-tier MD schools as a safety net instead? Maybe someone else can comment as to
whether I am completely off base here.

Would you be willing to consider University of Southern California- Keck? They are willing to overlook lower GPAs for high MCAT scores.

The DO schools are my safety schools. My current GPA is a 3.4 and I have a gap year before I graduate so my application isn't all that great. I know my MCAT is pretty good, but my gpa would hurt my chances in the higher-tier med schools. Like someone mentioned before, some of the schools screen for low gpa's and I feel that I might be screened out in some schools.

But then again, that's why I'm here. To pick a good list. The schools on my list are schools I know will accept a low gpa. If you know any top tier school that doesn't screen apps based on GPA's then please let me know, I'd most definitely want to apply.

I completely forgot about that med school. Thank you for that info, I will most definitely look into that school.

The DO schools are my safety schools. My current GPA is a 3.4 and I have a gap year before I graduate so my application isn't all that great. I know my MCAT is pretty good, but my gpa would hurt my chances in the higher-tier med schools. Like someone mentioned before, some of the schools screen for low gpa's and I feel that I might be screened out in some schools.

You might be screened out in the high tier schools, but not in the low-tier MD schools, which is why it seems that maybe you might want to add more low-tier MD schools to your list. Much better to end up at a low-tier MD than a high-tied DO.

I completely forgot about that med school. Thank you for that info, I will most definitely look into that school.

Good luck!

Delete U CO, add Hofstra, Mayo, EVMS, Wake, UCSF, BUT, Pitt, Case, keep Duke,
I agree with this list. Low-tier schools may screen you out for yield protection, based on experience of others with 3.4/40+ that I've seen.