This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZNY2021

Reaction score
Planning on submitting opening day for 2021 cycle:
White Male 24 NYS Resident. 3.58 cgpa 3.43 sgpa, liberal arts honors program 508 mcat (126,128,127,127)
2.5 years undergraduate research/summer fellowship, 5 poster presentations, 1 publication
Currently 40 hrs Shadowing: MD, DO, and Observership with Anesthesiologist in OR. In process of arranging shadowing hours with PC physician, aiming for 100-150hrs
1000+ Hrs as a PT and Rehab Aide
200+ Hrs ER Volunteer
100+ Hrs Community Health
200+ Hrs leadership role with international charity
Other work experience: Butcher assistant and cook (Summers 5+ years)

Preliminary List: (Highlighted indicate top preferences)
1583778801996.png

Members don't see this ad.

Your MD list has many state public schools that accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Also Howard, Meharry and Morehouse accept mainly African American applicants. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Creighton
TCU-UNT
USUHS
Loma Linda
You are competitive for all the DO schools you listed.

Reactions: 1 users
Planning on submitting opening day for 2021 cycle:
White Male 24 NYS Resident. 3.58 cgpa 3.43 sgpa, liberal arts honors program 508 mcat (126,128,127,127)
2.5 years undergraduate research/summer fellowship, 5 poster presentations, 1 publication
Currently 40 hrs Shadowing: MD, DO, and Observership with Anesthesiologist in OR. In process of arranging shadowing hours with PC physician, aiming for 100-150hrs
1000+ Hrs as a PT and Rehab Aide
200+ Hrs ER Volunteer
100+ Hrs Community Health
200+ Hrs leadership role with international charity
Other work experience: Butcher assistant and cook (Summers 5+ years)

Preliminary List: (Highlighted indicate top preferences)
View attachment 297982
Agrees... keep adding more shadowing before applying.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
how many shadowing hours would you say is ideal to shoot for? 100, 200, 250?

At minimum 50 hours, but strive for 100. You do have a lot of other clinical exposure to help you, but it helps to know what doctors actually do and the insight of primary care.

The shadowing opportunities I had lined up were all cancelled as I live in NYS. I have a tentative position lined up for a CRC but will likely not start or be shadowing their procedures before the application opens. Do you think this will significantly hamper my application or given the circumstances and a strong update letter I should be okay with the low hours?

The shadowing opportunities I had lined up were all cancelled as I live in NYS. I have a tentative position lined up for a CRC but will likely not start or be shadowing their procedures before the application opens. Do you think this will significantly hamper my application or given the circumstances and a strong update letter I should be okay with the low hours?
If your documentation is accurate, you don't need that many more hours to at least break 50. As it stands, no one knows if your update letter is going to help you or not. That's a question for the admissions officers at the schools where you most want to attend.