This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStu10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble coming up with the right school list for myself so I am looking for any type of suggestions.
GPA: 3.85 Upward trend : All A last two semesters. Should have 4.0 if I took first year more seriously
MCAT: 510 (84th percentile)- CARS gave me trouble since Im english second language student and did not focus on it enough
Good EC
Good Volunteering Experience including abroad
Research on yeast prions and heat shock proteins for two years.
Collegiate athlete 4 years at one of the best soccer programs in the nation in D3
Unique life story & background coming from Turkish/Bosnian heritage
I know that is a brief summary of myself but if you guys could help that would be great
I am a Kentucky resident and think I will be competitive for Louisville and Kentucky.
What out of state schools would I be competitive for? I am interested in Cincinnati and Ohio State but I think their MCAT score averages are much higher.
What schools would be safety? What "reach" schools could I apply to ? Any chance at a top tier school?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I don't like the word "safety" in medical admissions because each school in and of itself is somewhat a crapshoot. But narrow down location first. Do you want to be in the Midwest, or would you consider either of the coasts? Invest in the MSAR on the AAMC website. Its only $25 and has all kinds of stats, matriculant information, etc. It was the best investment I ever made.

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT score isn't that poor. You have very adequate stats for both Ky schools as well as the majority of the private universities:

Dartmouth
Rochester
Albany
NYU
Brown
Einstein
Wake Forest
MCW
Georgetown
GWU
Tufts
Jefferson
Cincinnati
Miami
Temple
Drexel
Rush
Loyola

You get the picture

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT score isn't that poor. You have very adequate stats for both Ky schools as well as the majority of the private universities:

Dartmouth
Rochester
Albany
NYU
Brown
Einstein
Wake Forest
MCW
Georgetown
GWU
Tufts
Jefferson
Cincinnati
Miami
Temple
Drexel
Rush
Loyola

You get the picture
Thank you so much for the quick reply!
I didn't know how to feel about my MCAT score because so many people on these forums have around 518 and they're not pleased.

I don't like the word "safety" in medical admissions because each school in and of itself is somewhat a crapshoot. But narrow down location first. Do you want to be in the Midwest, or would you consider either of the coasts? Invest in the MSAR on the AAMC website. Its only $25 and has all kinds of stats, matriculant information, etc. It was the best investment I ever made.
Thanks for the advice! I prefer to stay around Kentucky. I really like Cincinnati and Ohio State and am hoping that I can get at least an interview. I would not mind going east either, just ideally I will stay around KY. I will look into MSAR. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for the quick reply!
I didn't know how to feel about my MCAT score because so many people on these forums have around 518 and they're not pleased.
You're not going to get into Harvard or Stanford with a 518, but it's in no way a bad score.

Moving to WAMC

You're not going to get into Harvard or Stanford with a 518, but it's in no way a bad score.

Harvard and Stanford have median MCATs in the range of 36-37, so you can certainly get into one with a 518 as long as the rest of your application is great. If you don't get in, it's not going to be because of the 518.

Your best chances are your KY public schools. You could also try Cincinnati, Indiana, West Virginia, Eastern Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth, Oakland Beaumont, Medical College Wisconsin, Rosalind Franklin and St. Louis if you want to stay relatively close to Kentucky.

I wish I had a 518 :D mine is 510 i was just saying people on these forums are not even pleased with a 518