Schools grouped by similarities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maaricka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we start a thread where we talk about school similarities? For example, what schools will applicants with a low gpa have a better shot at? Or which schools cater to in-state residents? Maybe schools that have the highest match numbers?

I hope this becomes a helpful thread!

Members don't see this ad.

I really like this topic. I hope this thread takes off.

Edit: LizzyM list already covers some of these bases.

Members don't see this ad :)
**Disclaimer: This information was provided to me from a reliable and well-established source who has experience with the admissions process at multiple universities. It is not meant to talk down upon any university or place another university above others, but rather to simply help students get a feel for where they stand. If this message seems to be taken the wrong way or receives backlash, I will remove it. I am simply posting because it helped me and I hope that it can in return help others as well**:

What are "good" stats?
MCAT score:
Excellent = 507-528
Good = 501-505

Cumulative GPA:
Excellent = 3.75-4.0
Good = 3.4-3.74

"Level 1" schools - the harder ones to get into and the ones that stick to the above stats pretty strongly:
AT Still - Arizona
Midwestern University - Both campuses (large amount of applicants at chicago campus)
Kansas City University
LECOM - Pennsylvania campuses
Michigan State University COM (preference to in-state students)
Oklahoma State University (Preference given to in-state students)
Ohio University
Philadelphia COM (large amount of applicants)
Rowan University (Preference given to in-state students)
Touro University COM - California
Touro University Nevada COM
University of North Texas (In-state preference given and a large amount of applicants)
Edward Via COM - Virginia

"Level 2" schools - the ones a little more willing to consider scores below a 501 MCAT and a 3.4 GPA:
AT Still - Kirksville
Campbell University
Des Moines University
LECOM - Bradenton
Marian Univerisity
New York Institute of Technology (large amount of applicants)
Nova Southeastern University (large amount of applicants)
Pacific Northwest Univerisity
Philadelphia COM - Georgia campus
Rocky Vista University (large amount of applicants)
Touro University Nevada
Edward Via COM - Auburn and Carolinas campuses
West Virginia COM
Western University - California and Oregon (both campuses get a large amount of applicants)

"Level 3" Schools - Willing to consider lower stats... such as a "mediocre to low" MCAT (495-500) or "mediocre to low" GPA (3.0-3.39):
Alabama COM
Arkansas COM
Burrell COM
Liberty University
Lincoln Memorial University
University of Incarnate Word
University of Pikeville - Kentucky
William Carey University

Reactions: 6 users
Ditto on Goro's attendance classification. I think a high-medium-low cost classification would be useful as well since you are all ultimately paying for it (with accrued interest).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
**Disclaimer: This information was provided to me from a reliable and well-established source who has experience with the admissions process at multiple universities. It is not meant to talk down upon any university or place another university above others, but rather to simply help students get a feel for where they stand. If this message seems to be taken the wrong way or receives backlash, I will remove it. I am simply posting because it helped me and I hope that it can in return help others as well**:

What are "good" stats?
MCAT score:
Excellent = 507-528
Good = 501-505

Cumulative GPA:
Excellent = 3.75-4.0
Good = 3.4-3.74

"Level 1" schools - the harder ones to get into and the ones that stick to the above stats pretty strongly:
AT Still - Arizona
Midwestern University - Both campuses (large amount of applicants at chicago campus)
Kansas City University
Ohio University
University of North Texas (In-state preference given and a large amount of applicants)

"Level 2" schools - the ones a little more willing to consider scores below a 501 MCAT and a 3.4 GPA:
AT Still - Kirksville
Campbell University
Des Moines University
LECOM - Bradenton
Marian Univerisity
Touro University Nevada
West Virginia COM
Western University - California and Oregon (both campuses get a large amount of applicants)

"Level 3" Schools - Willing to consider lower stats... such as a "mediocre to low" MCAT (495-500) or "mediocre to low" GPA (3.0-3.39):
Alabama COM
Arkansas COM
Burrell COM
Liberty University
William Carey University

NOVA is a top tier school, they have great placement to the Florida Dermatology programs. I say this as a student that was offered an interview but declined due to acceptance at another 'Level 1' school.

What are "good" stats?
MCAT score:
Excellent = 507-528
Good = 501-505

Cumulative GPA:
Excellent = 3.75-4.0
Good = 3.4-3.74

AT Still - Arizona
Kansas City University
Ohio University

AT Still - Kirksville
Campbell University
Des Moines University
LECOM - Bradenton
Marian Univerisity
Touro University Nevada
West Virginia COM

Alabama COM
Arkansas COM
Burrell COM
Liberty University
William Carey University

You have Touro Nevada in there twice level 1 and 2.. I'm guessing the NY campus is level 1

NOVA is a top tier school, they have great placement to the Florida Dermatology programs. I say this as a student that was offered an interview but declined due to acceptance at another 'Level 1' school.

That's not a tier list, it's a list based on the stats that the schools generally accept. In my experience those "levels" are pretty accurate. The only exception is that wth DO admissions something's can make up for others, like a higher MCAT for a low GPA or vice versa. Nova is definitely a solid program.

What I would like to see is a list of schools with mandatory lecture attendance. I'll start:
CUSOM
LECOM

Heck yeah. This needs to happen.

LECOM is mandatory only for the LDP pathway.

To add to the above list:
Acom
Wcu
I think VCOM and it's spinoffs.

Heck yeah. This needs to happen.

LECOM is mandatory only for the LDP pathway.

To add to the above list:
Acom
Wcu
I think VCOM and it's spinoffs.

Is our definition of mandatory attendance include clicker attendance. I know PCOM-GA counts a portion of your grade based so classes do have a version of mandatory attendance.

I say yes. Maybe in parentheses beside it put (graded on clickers) or something so people know. So to be fair, acom should have (80%) next to it. It's ridiculous that we can't figure this crap out until interview day.

Like I mentioned at the beginning of the post, this is only one opinion. We could go around all day long about different schools. This was just meant to help students look at their stats and start to get a general feel of where they should start looking at applying and do their own research from there.