Schools with good weather

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nuevaburra

Wisconsin c/o 2016!!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone suggest any DVM schools with good local climate? Which for me, means warm and sunny, not too humid.

I'm shivering my butt off in Wisconsin and wondering when I'll see the sun again! It's my IS school but I want to apply other places, too, worth a try to get away from the looooong winters :xf:
 
In the US, probably only Western University of Health Sciences. Davis might be okay, not sure. Everywhere else is either cold in the winter, hot and humid in the summer, or both!
 
Haha yeah, pretty much everywhere is going to get cold. I've been a Californian my whole life, so I know I will have a huge change wherever I go. Vet school is so ridiculously hard to get into and it's only four years of my life, so I'm ignoring the weather bit of the decision process.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the US, probably only Western University of Health Sciences. Davis might be okay, not sure. Everywhere else is either cold in the winter, hot and humid in the summer, or both!

Davis has what's known as a Mediterranean climate. The summers are really hot, but also really dry - it will get to 100F+ but with really low humidity so it doesn't feel all that bad. Winters are cool (40-60F during the day) and more humid, with intermittent rain. This year's been worse than the last 3 that I've been here as far as the rain goes, but it's still not nearly as rainy as it was when I lived back east (from Boston to Orlando).

Fall and spring are the best - warm and sunny during the day with a nice temperature drop at night so it cools down. 😍
 
Davis has what's known as a Mediterranean climate. The summers are really hot, but also really dry - it will get to 100F+ but with really low humidity so it doesn't feel all that bad. Winters are cool (40-60F during the day) and more humid, with intermittent rain. This year's been worse than the last 3 that I've been here as far as the rain goes, but it's still not nearly as rainy as it was when I lived back east (from Boston to Orlando).

Fall and spring are the best - warm and sunny during the day with a nice temperature drop at night so it cools down. 😍
I wish there was a vet school at UCSB or UCSC. That would make me way happier. Davis is gross in the summer. I may be a bit of a wimp, but when the car a/c was broken and my little apt was like a disgusting oven, Davis kinda sucked!
 
not to be snarky at all cause I know I wanted sorta nice weather too. But, just keep your mind on what you'll be doing at vet school. I love my sunshine and warmth as much as anyone, yet I want to be at the best fit of a vet school rather than have sunshine and be internally bummed!

(Does this makes sense to anyone else??)
 
not to be snarky at all cause I know I wanted sorta nice weather too. But, just keep your mind on what you'll be doing at vet school. I love my sunshine and warmth as much as anyone, yet I want to be at the best fit of a vet school rather than have sunshine and be internally bummed!

(Does this makes sense to anyone else??)
You know, some people need the beach to survive.
















I really hope someone gets that because it makes me laugh.
 
Yeah, I know that the best school is the one I get into, and weather is really not even on my list of deciding factors. But when it's dark when I get to work, dark when I leave, and my car won't start because of the cold, well, a girl can dream!

And yes Wisconsin isn't so bad, after 6 years here I barely notice the cold.... I just miss the ocean 🙁
 
Glasgow!

Downright tropical.

(Though we have been warmer and drier than most this year...):luck:
 
Last edited:
Not the tropical weather that you're thinking of, but I was VERY pleasantly surprised about the weather in CO (or at least around Ft Collins). I mean, it gets cold at night (can get into the 20s), but even then it can get up to the 50s or even 60s during the day. Minus the cold in the morning part, it doesn't seem all that different to me than the Bay Area. I made sure I got an AWD before I got here, cause you know, I was gonna be in CO... but I'm finding that it was an unnecessary investment. Best of all is that it's SUNNY all year round. A huge contrast from the gloomy New England winters. The few times that it snows, it doesn't last, and the snow's melted by the time you've gone out and had a good snowball fight. I'm very appreciative, esp after spending 2 weeks in Boston this winter in the serial blizzard blitz.
 
I lived in Gainesville for 4 years (went to UF for undergrad) and the coldest it usually will get down to at night is 30s (I think once or twice while I was there it'd get into the 20s) during the winter. It'll be super hot and humid there during the summer though (although, for me, being from south Florida, the humidity was not bad in comparison).

So far I have only lived in Raleigh (NCSU) since July but the weather seems pretty nice here too (compared to what I know about a lot of vet school cities). It got kind of hot over the summer (and I'm sure humid if you're not used to more humid climate like I am) but it has yet to get extremely cold (which is saying a lot since I'm from Florida and am not used to any type of cold lol).
 
I lived in Gainesville for 4 years (went to UF for undergrad) and the coldest it usually will get down to at night is 30s (I think once or twice while I was there it'd get into the 20s) during the winter. It'll be super hot and humid there during the summer though (although, for me, being from south Florida, the humidity was not bad in comparison).

So far I have only lived in Raleigh (NCSU) since July but the weather seems pretty nice here too (compared to what I know about a lot of vet school cities). It got kind of hot over the summer (and I'm sure humid if you're not used to more humid climate like I am) but it has yet to get extremely cold (which is saying a lot since I'm from Florida and am not used to any type of cold lol).

The winter weather here is definitely mild (I'm a Northerner too), but to me the summers are disgusting! It got pretty humid and hot back at home, but that's nothing compared to a southeastern summer. I hardly left my apartment past 8 am last July and August for fear of leaving the comfort of central air.

While weather's a factor to think about with schools, remember that you'll be in class for four years and either working or getting different experiences during your summer. It shouldn't make or break the decision to apply.
 
In the US, probably only Western University of Health Sciences. Davis might be okay, not sure. Everywhere else is either cold in the winter, hot and humid in the summer, or both!

Sure, but don't most vet schools take a summer break? Perfect time to fly back home ... 😉

I just prefer to think of MN as having a brief 330-day interlude between our beautiful 35-day summers. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The winter weather here is definitely mild (I'm a Northerner too), but to me the summers are disgusting! It got pretty humid and hot back at home, but that's nothing compared to a southeastern summer. I hardly left my apartment past 8 am last July and August for fear of leaving the comfort of central air.

While weather's a factor to think about with schools, remember that you'll be in class for four years and either working or getting different experiences during your summer. It shouldn't make or break the decision to apply.

Hah, yeah - I would think people might consider it pretty humid here if coming from somewhere up north and not being used to the humidty. I would rather have a hot and humid summer with a mild winter than a nice summer with a terrible winter so the weather here so far is perfect for me. But that might just be because that's what I'm used to, lol.

Side note: The weather is FANTASTIC today (and this whole weekend so far) here in Raleigh - 65 degrees and sunny 🙂
 
Not the tropical weather that you're thinking of, but I was VERY pleasantly surprised about the weather in CO (or at least around Ft Collins). I mean, it gets cold at night (can get into the 20s), but even then it can get up to the 50s or even 60s during the day.

Minny, my brother lives in Denver and said it'll be a high of 2 degrees and a low of -13 early this week, so I think your time is coming. 🙂

Bay Area remains the usual winter pattern -- heavy rain last night and just cold enough today to whine and not want to go outside.
 
Side note: The weather is FANTASTIC today (and this whole weekend so far) here in Raleigh - 65 degrees and sunny 🙂

Don't I know it! Freaking gorgeous outside today! Hard to find immuno or cardio that important right now...
 
Knoxville (UTCVM) is pretty nice, I think. It does get pretty hot and humid in the summer, but the winters aren't too bad. There was some snow so far this winter, but nothing that sticks around for 3 months. It's really nice out today--66 degrees! Plus, I love being close to the Smoky Mountains. I grew up on a mountain, and on any mountain is still my favorite place to be. 🙂
 
Hah, yeah - I would think people might consider it pretty humid here if coming from somewhere up north and not being used to the humidty. I would rather have a hot and humid summer with a mild winter than a nice summer with a terrible winter so the weather here so far is perfect for me. But that might just be because that's what I'm used to, lol.

Side note: The weather is FANTASTIC today (and this whole weekend so far) here in Raleigh - 65 degrees and sunny 🙂

Haha, and me being from Texas, I find NC's summers perfectly doable and am not a fan of the winters at all. 👎
 
not to be snarky at all cause I know I wanted sorta nice weather too. But, just keep your mind on what you'll be doing at vet school. I love my sunshine and warmth as much as anyone, yet I want to be at the best fit of a vet school rather than have sunshine and be internally bummed!

(Does this makes sense to anyone else??)

I would have completely agreed with you... until now. The weather here has had a SIGNIFICANT effect on my daily outlook on life. It is so dark, dreary, misty, cold and just downright grey here that it has taken a major toll. I thought i might have an issue, but nothing like this.

I definitely think if you are a person that knows the weather may have a negative impact, then it should be taken into consideration as much as academic factors.
 
I would have completely agreed with you... until now. The weather here has had a SIGNIFICANT effect on my daily outlook on life. It is so dark, dreary, misty, cold and just downright grey here that it has taken a major toll. I thought i might have an issue, but nothing like this.

I definitely think if you are a person that knows the weather may have a negative impact, then it should be taken into consideration as much as academic factors.

Agree. At the urging of my therapist, I bought a really bright "Therapy Light" that I use to keep me from completely falling apart around november/december when the days get shorter. Might look into that for those long Scottish nights.
 
I'd have to second Western U. Southern California is ridiculously nice. I never realized how much I hated winter until I had to leave SoCal to go home for winter break.

It gets hot, but not humid, and if you ever miss snowboarding or skiing, it's around 45 min from coldness. It's just ******ed how drivers here freak out when it rains.

People with seasonal affective disorder should also consider where their schools are. It does really make a difference, especially with productivity.
 
Ohio weather isn't too bad. We have a good road clearing system, so you don't need 4 wheel drive or anything. Plus I am in northeast Ohio, so Columbus area would be slightly warmer 🙄. We have nice summers 😀.

Plus when you think about it, when do you feel more like studying: when it is sunny and warm or when it is cold and snowy? I feel more like studying when it is colder and not too nice to be outside.
 
How about Oregon State? I've only been to Oregon once, but I totally loved it, so it is currently my #2 choice 🙂 The summer weather seemed quite comfortable, and I get the impression that it doesn't get dreadfully cold in winter. I mean, it's 50 degrees there right now, which sounds about tropical to me right now. Ocean, mountains...it's perfect, no?
 
People with seasonal affective disorder should also consider where their schools are. It does really make a difference, especially with productivity.

I could not agree with this more. I have never been diagnosed, but when my parents bought me a 'special light' in high school and then i proceeded to migrate down south to the beach weather for 14 years, i should have known better.

and, Nuevaburra, i did try special lights here in Scotland...but, no help.

I even mentioned it to my director of studies and he told me that HE's been a bit depressed this winter. And he's grown up here! Go figure.

It is a real deal. When all you want to do is sleep, eat and drink and NOT exercise (like you've done 5 days week/20years), something is wrong.
 
How about Oregon State? I've only been to Oregon once, but I totally loved it, so it is currently my #2 choice 🙂 The summer weather seemed quite comfortable, and I get the impression that it doesn't get dreadfully cold in winter. I mean, it's 50 degrees there right now, which sounds about tropical to me right now. Ocean, mountains...it's perfect, no?

I lived in Oregon during summer 2007 in various locations including Eugene, Corvallis, Florence, Newport, Mt Hood, and Portland. As native east coaster I thought the coastal towns esp were freezing for a summer! Eugene, which is a little more inland like Corvallis, was hot during the day and got cold at night. I went out there with very inadequate clothing and had my mom ship me more fleece outerwear.
I assume the winters are quite mild. I've also been to Seattle and San Fran, both of which are 40s/50s/60s for the most part yr round.
It is however, gorgeous! The oceans were stunning (and they have great surfing.) The Willamette valley is also amazingly beautiful farmland surrounded by mountains. It took me forever to figure out what a filbert is.
 
If those are your requirements, don't come to OK
Summer was disgustingly hot and sticky. Thank god for central AC, or I might have turned right back around and headed home.
The past few days of winter have been nice (60-70ish) but we've had our share of cold days too, although it definitely hasnt gotten as cold as New England does. No snow though, but that may or may not change in the next week. It was 75 yesterday, and I think it's supposed to be in the 20s and 30s all week now. It's wierd and I don't like it.

The Weather Channel says -2F on Tuesday night. By the way.

Summers are really humid here, but last summer was a bitch. I dunno what was up with that, but I hope it's not that bad this year!
 
Not the tropical weather that you're thinking of, but I was VERY pleasantly surprised about the weather in CO (or at least around Ft Collins). I mean, it gets cold at night (can get into the 20s), but even then it can get up to the 50s or even 60s during the day. Minus the cold in the morning part, it doesn't seem all that different to me than the Bay Area. I made sure I got an AWD before I got here, cause you know, I was gonna be in CO... but I'm finding that it was an unnecessary investment. Best of all is that it's SUNNY all year round. A huge contrast from the gloomy New England winters. The few times that it snows, it doesn't last, and the snow's melted by the time you've gone out and had a good snowball fight. I'm very appreciative, esp after spending 2 weeks in Boston this winter in the serial blizzard blitz.

I was going to put a good word in for Colorado weather, but you beat me to it! For the most part (>90% of the time) I love the weather here! We have seasons and all the associated weather, but the cold spells (like we are going to get this week) rarely last long and are broken up by fantastic weather (it was 60 yesterday!). In the summer there are a few days that are horribly hot (upper 90s or maybe 100) but it isn't very humid and it isn't too bad. And yes, the sunshine! All year! Something like 360/365 days a year see the sun for at least part of the day. I had definite issues with the New England winters as far as mood goes (was actually diagnosed with SAD and got the special light and all), but here, no issue at all. I do still use the "special light" on a timer to help me wake up at the ungodly hour I have to in order to be at work on time. But that isn't a comment on the weather or the sunshine here.

So yeah... I would consider CSU to be a school with good weather😎.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Minny, my brother lives in Denver and said it'll be a high of 2 degrees and a low of -13 early this week, so I think your time is coming. 🙂

Bay Area remains the usual winter pattern -- heavy rain last night and just cold enough today to whine and not want to go outside.

oh sweet. i hate when i have to defrost the windshield!!!

You know what's really cruel in cali? How most of the schools are gheeto outdoor outbox type buildings and kids have to be outside a lot of the times even when it's raining and like in the 40's! I remember getting kicked out for the whole lunch hour and freezing my ass off eating on concrete. Very glad I had a car starting my junior year so I could at least eat in there. They finally built a little cafeteria, but it fit maybe 75 kids and our school had 1600 students.
 
I had definite issues with the New England winters as far as mood goes (was actually diagnosed with SAD and got the special light and all), but here, no issue at all. I do still use the "special light" on a timer to help me wake up at the ungodly hour I have to in order to be at work on time. But that isn't a comment on the weather or the sunshine here.

So yeah... I would consider CSU to be a school with good weather😎

yeah, back in NE I would sleep a good 14-20 hrs/night during the winters... and those SAD lights really didn't help me too much. I would use it for about the first 2 hrs of the day, but apparently that's not enough. The sleep specialist told me I should look into staring into it 6 hrs a day if I suspected SAD... and I was like, "um, with all do respect, I think staring into a bright box 6 hrs/day seems more depressing" and decided to just sleep the extra 6 hrs a day.

In CO, I can get by with an average of 10 hrs/night!!! A huuuuge improvement. I can at least be a functional human being!
 
As much as I love Mizzou, I would never recommend it for the weather LOL. I'm from Florida, so I'm used to being in the heat and humidity, and summers here aren't terribly different from Florida summers... until you get into the 100s for multiple days in a row and it reminds you that you don't have a sea breeze to cool you off. Still, that's bearable to me. The winter is another story. It doesn't get bitingly cold until January/February (as in, well into the negatives with a windchill pushing it further below), and, while Columbia doesn't TEND to get much snow, we have been getting DUMPED on this year. We're expecting between 12 and 18 inches by Wednesday, plus about half an inch of ice. And they do not cancel vet school for this LOL. Luckily, I have four wheel drive and a snow shovel, but that will only get me out of my driveway. They just cut funding on snow removal services for public roads, and they don't plow my neighborhood, so getting to class this week will be a challenge. A lot of us are thinking of using clinic dogs to sled in to class LOL. So not happy about this...

That being said, the spring, fall, and MAJORITY of the summer and winter are beautiful, and I can usually overlook everything but the poor snow removal services.
 
I think that a vet school should be built in AZ. We have maybe 7 or 10 days all year that it gets into the 30's and that is at night time during the winter. Most of the winter is bouncing between 50 and 70 and usually sticks in the 60's. Oh and if you don't like driving to work/school in the dark in the morning; you would still have to do that in AZ it is pitch black when I leave for work at 6:45AM in the winter. But, the summers are hot, starting around May it will start getting into the 90's to nearly 100 and then July-August/September it can be 115+ but it is a dry heat. 😉

See there should be a vet school in AZ. Drive 2 hours north if you want snow and 7 hours west if you want the ocean. 🙂
 
I would have completely agreed with you... until now. The weather here has had a SIGNIFICANT effect on my daily outlook on life. It is so dark, dreary, misty, cold and just downright grey here that it has taken a major toll. I thought i might have an issue, but nothing like this.

Robert Louis Stevenson on Edinburgh: "But Edinburgh pays cruelly for her high seat in one of the vilest climates under heaven. She is liable to be beaten upon by all the winds that blow, to be drenched with rain, to be buried in cold sea fogs out of the east, and powdered with the snow as it comes flying southward from the Highland hills. The weather is raw and boisterous in winter, shifty and ungenial in summer, and a downright meteorological purgatory in the spring. The delicate die early, and I, as a survivor, among bleak winds and plumping rain, have been sometimes tempted to envy them their fate. For all who love shelter and the blessings of the sun, who hate dark weather and perpetual tilting against squalls, there could scarcely be found a more unhomely and harassing place of residence.
 
Robert Louis Stevenson on Edinburgh: "But Edinburgh pays cruelly for her high seat in one of the vilest climates under heaven. She is liable to be beaten upon by all the winds that blow, to be drenched with rain, to be buried in cold sea fogs out of the east, and powdered with the snow as it comes flying southward from the Highland hills. The weather is raw and boisterous in winter, shifty and ungenial in summer, and a downright meteorological purgatory in the spring. The delicate die early, and I, as a survivor, among bleak winds and plumping rain, have been sometimes tempted to envy them their fate. For all who love shelter and the blessings of the sun, who hate dark weather and perpetual tilting against squalls, there could scarcely be found a more unhomely and harassing place of residence.

I feel like I came down with SAD just reading that.
 
Robert Louis Stevenson on Edinburgh: "But Edinburgh pays cruelly for her high seat in one of the vilest climates under heaven. She is liable to be beaten upon by all the winds that blow, to be drenched with rain, to be buried in cold sea fogs out of the east, and powdered with the snow as it comes flying southward from the Highland hills. The weather is raw and boisterous in winter, shifty and ungenial in summer, and a downright meteorological purgatory in the spring. The delicate die early, and I, as a survivor, among bleak winds and plumping rain, have been sometimes tempted to envy them their fate. For all who love shelter and the blessings of the sun, who hate dark weather and perpetual tilting against squalls, there could scarcely be found a more unhomely and harassing place of residence.


Huh...not the way I would describe Glasgow. And until the snowpacalypse this year, the weather is usually quite mild--less snow and slightly warmer than Maryland winters. The dark thing does suck A LOT. I have become a gym rat because of it.
 
If there is a good school at the bottom of a volcanic crater, I will go there and learn to love lava and fire.
 
I went to undergrad in Santa Barbara, and I spent the first year in Davis complaining bitterly that there was no beach, and that the temp varied from the 50-80F range to which I had grown accustomed. That said, Davis is pretty damn nice for a lot of the year. In the summer, it gets hot, but you get used to it, or you spend time indoors. The dryness really does help. Winter is downright mild, it just seems disgusting because we bike anyway.
 
I lived in Oregon during summer 2007 in various locations including Eugene, Corvallis, Florence, Newport, Mt Hood, and Portland. As native east coaster I thought the coastal towns esp were freezing for a summer! Eugene, which is a little more inland like Corvallis, was hot during the day and got cold at night. I went out there with very inadequate clothing and had my mom ship me more fleece outerwear.
I assume the winters are quite mild. I've also been to Seattle and San Fran, both of which are 40s/50s/60s for the most part yr round.
It is however, gorgeous! The oceans were stunning (and they have great surfing.) The Willamette valley is also amazingly beautiful farmland surrounded by mountains. It took me forever to figure out what a filbert is.

I lived in Portland for 4 years for undergrad, and while it pretty much never gets below freezing in the winter, the gray & rainy fall/winter/springs of the Willamette Valley suck. It rarely downpours, but it constantly drizzles, which is just really annoying.

I'm also weird and get really depressed if it's NOT snowy and cold in the winter...I like snowstorms (one of the many reasons I love Tufts and only applied there this year). But yeah, if you like sunny and warm winters or snowy winters, the Willamette Valley is neither...just damp and gray. Summers are gorgeous there, but the other 8 months of the year are not nice. The Cascades and the coast are in driving distance, but it's not like you'll have a ton of time in vet school to go there.


minnerbelle and gone2dogs...I'm moving to the Fort Collins/Cheyenne area in a week and a half and I'm bummed to hear that the snow/cold doesn't last that long! So much for my visions of moving to a snowy Colorado winter wonderland...
 
Robert Louis Stevenson on Edinburgh: "But Edinburgh pays cruelly for her high seat in one of the vilest climates under heaven. She is liable to be beaten upon by all the winds that blow, to be drenched with rain, to be buried in cold sea fogs out of the east, and powdered with the snow as it comes flying southward from the Highland hills. The weather is raw and boisterous in winter, shifty and ungenial in summer, and a downright meteorological purgatory in the spring. The delicate die early, and I, as a survivor, among bleak winds and plumping rain, have been sometimes tempted to envy them their fate. For all who love shelter and the blessings of the sun, who hate dark weather and perpetual tilting against squalls, there could scarcely be found a more unhomely and harassing place of residence.

LOL...now, why didn't you send this to me before I signed up?? this is SO accurate! Btw, i am using this on my blog!
 
I think that a vet school should be built in AZ. We have maybe 7 or 10 days all year that it gets into the 30's and that is at night time during the winter. Most of the winter is bouncing between 50 and 70 and usually sticks in the 60's. Oh and if you don't like driving to work/school in the dark in the morning; you would still have to do that in AZ it is pitch black when I leave for work at 6:45AM in the winter. But, the summers are hot, starting around May it will start getting into the 90's to nearly 100 and then July-August/September it can be 115+ but it is a dry heat. 😉

See there should be a vet school in AZ. Drive 2 hours north if you want snow and 7 hours west if you want the ocean. 🙂

I totally agree, the weather here in Arizona is absolutly perfect nine months out of the year. Two months out of the year are a bit warm, in the 100+'s but yeppers it is a dry heat. One month is a bit cold, yeah 30 degrees cold 😛 . Lol I have no issues taking my pup for walks at 6am, theres no sun light and the temp is hovering close to 30 degrees and its Jan 😎. I did hear some speculation that the U of A was in the process of planning a vet school but something with the local and state governments are stalling things. :shrug:
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I could definitely get on board with a vet school in Flagstaff, but I spent my first year of college in Phoenix and didn't like the weather. The whole "dry heat" thing? Yeah I dunno, it didn't seem to make much difference to me, it was just freaking HOT. And the winter torrential downpours weren't fun either, especially how they made the sidewalks so slippery I could hardly get to class without falling down. Then again, I also missed my cornfields and luscious lawns of green grass, so I definitely have some partiality to the midwest (as much as I hate to admit it).
 
minnerbelle and gone2dogs...I'm moving to the Fort Collins/Cheyenne area in a week and a half and I'm bummed to hear that the snow/cold doesn't last that long! So much for my visions of moving to a snowy Colorado winter wonderland...

Yeah the snow here in Fort C doesn't generally stick around very long (it does up in the mountains of course), but the wind can be abominable!
 
I wanna put in a good word for Philly weather this year.

Let's see... stinkin humid in the summer.
40" of snow so far this winter. (and Philly does not do snow removal well).
I think the temperature has been above 40 once since november.
Right now it is "icing" out side. Didn't know that was even a form of precipitation. Something between freezing rain and ice pellets.
I guess there was a fall but I don't remember it.

Sorry, no good words come to mind.
 
I wanna put in a good word for Philly weather this year.

Let's see... stinkin humid in the summer.
40" of snow so far this winter. (and Philly does not do snow removal well).
I think the temperature has been above 40 once since november.
Right now it is "icing" out side. Didn't know that was even a form of precipitation. Something between freezing rain and ice pellets.
I guess there was a fall but I don't remember it.

Sorry, no good words come to mind.

Haha....true dat. The weather sucks here - long hot summer, long cold winter...not so much spring and fall. Snow removal and salt are not in the vocabulary of the city government.

I believe the words you are looking for to describe this morning's weather are "ice mist"
 
Obviously the South is probably too hot for you, but for me, its where I feel most at home... I HATE winter weather (snow, cold, freezing rain, etc.) and I love that it can be 40 degrees one day and 70 the next during January. I'll take anywhere where it doesn't snow. Summers are hot here, but I wouldn't have it any other way... one more excuse to swim in the pool/ go to the beach.