Schools with good weather

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Obviously the South is probably too hot for you, but for me, its where I feel most at home... I HATE winter weather (snow, cold, freezing rain, etc.) and I love that it can be 40 degrees one day and 70 the next during January. I'll take anywhere where it doesn't snow. Summers are hot here, but I wouldn't have it any other way... one more excuse to swim in the pool/ go to the beach.

Having lived with dry heat for the majority of my life I've always been curious about the humidity levels in the LSU area. Is it sticky? manageable? easy going? I suppose I could always take a trip to LSU during the hottest months. The 18 degree record low we had here last week was a bit much for me. :scared:
 
Having lived with dry heat for the majority of my life I've always been curious about the humidity levels in the LSU area. Is it sticky? manageable? easy going? I suppose I could always take a trip to LSU during the hottest months. The 18 degree record low we had here last week was a bit much for me. :scared:

Well, I guess the truth/bad news is that its VERY hot and humid in the summer, starting about May and lasting through about October (or later :/)... the good news is that if you find it too much, until you start clinical rotations (spring semester of 3rd year) you don't really have to stay here for the bulk of the most humid parts of the year. I am used to it, because my hometown is only 4 hours away in southeast Texas and the weather is the same there too. I just like that it doesn't get very cold, save for a few days in January and February, and it warms up well usually by the end of March. I can recall a time when my friends and I have been laying out by the pool in late January!
 
I was all set to gloat about our early spring weather--70s and sunny all weekend--and the week started off with 20mph winds with 30mph gusts. Oops. It wouldn't be so bad, except that it may actually be unsafe to bike anywhere.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I could definitely get on board with a vet school in Flagstaff, but I spent my first year of college in Phoenix and didn't like the weather. The whole "dry heat" thing? Yeah I dunno, it didn't seem to make much difference to me, it was just freaking HOT. And the winter torrential downpours weren't fun either, especially how they made the sidewalks so slippery I could hardly get to class without falling down. Then again, I also missed my cornfields and luscious lawns of green grass, so I definitely have some partiality to the midwest (as much as I hate to admit it).


Torrential downpours in winter? When? I have never seen those. Maybe when the monsoons come through during the summer, but that is very unlikely to happen in the winter. Although this past late fall/early winter had some strange weather with lots of wind/rain and tornadoes in Flagstaff, but the strange weather happens very infrequently. Also, Flagstaff gets lots of snow. Who wants to have to shovel their car out of 2-3 feet of snow to get to class in the morning? And they aren't very good at clearing the snow around the town up there so almost all of the sidewalks are like sheets of ice... once winter came along there were lots of people in casts from falling on ice and breaking arms and legs. Although, I love Flagstaff it is absolutely beautiful! I would rather have a vet school in Phoenix.
 
Just to share with everyone, the temperature when I left my house in Wisconsin this morning was -1.8 F , BEFORE windchill :scared: But the sun is shining, so that is something!
 
Just to share with everyone, the temperature when I left my house in Wisconsin this morning was -1.8 F , BEFORE windchill :scared: But the sun is shining, so that is something!

I'm sorry to hear that! The high this weekend for us is 67 degrees 😎
 
It's supposed to hit -6F tonight for us. But it will be 62 next week. Ahh, Oklahoma.

Yeah... last week we got hammered with the snow/ice storm here in Ohio and this week the bitter cold is hitting. With wind chill factored in, we're comin in close to your -6F.... we'll be at -5F....

Ohio is NOT a place to go if you're looking for good weather. We have three seasons-- Hot, Cold and Construction. 🙂 We can go from 60 to 70 degree weather to snow the very next day. Unpredictable to say the least.... I will admit, in some of the cities we have good plowing... (Columbus is usually great for the highways.... side roads... ehh... it's a crapshoot). Don't get me wrong, I love Ohio.... but am anxious to move somewhere warmer....

Someone made mention that it'd be 'warmer' in Columbus from NE Ohio.... nope.... you just don't get the lake effect monster in winter.... that's about it.... may be a few degrees different, but not much....
 
Yeah... last week we got hammered with the snow/ice storm here in Ohio and this week the bitter cold is hitting. With wind chill factored in, we're comin in close to your -6F.... we'll be at -5F....

Ohio is NOT a place to go if you're looking for good weather. We have three seasons-- Hot, Cold and Construction. 🙂 We can go from 60 to 70 degree weather to snow the very next day. Unpredictable to say the least.... I will admit, in some of the cities we have good plowing... (Columbus is usually great for the highways.... side roads... ehh... it's a crapshoot). Don't get me wrong, I love Ohio.... but am anxious to move somewhere warmer....

Someone made mention that it'd be 'warmer' in Columbus from NE Ohio.... nope.... you just don't get the lake effect monster in winter.... that's about it.... may be a few degrees different, but not much....

Maybe it's just me, but I'm originally from NE Ohio as well, and I've found the weather in Columbus significantly different from the weather up north. For example, during the fall, the leaves on the trees in Cbus were just turning colors. When I went home, the trees were completely bare. I've also noticed that for the most part, it is quite a bit colder and snowier up north than it is in Cbus, at least every time I go home to visit.

But in general, yeah, Ohio's winters are frigid and icy and snowy and summers can be downright sweltering. I'm pretty adaptable though, so I don't mind =D
 
I notice Minnesota hasn't made this list yet... hehehe

I love all the snow up here, but the cold makes you think your face is actually going to freeze solid sometimes (temperatures well below zero for months, lol). Nordic skiing is fantastic though and there's a wee bit of sun around midday. I can never get over the fact that the sun isn't warm this far north. It can be very bright out and absolutely no temperature difference between sun & shade.
 
I wanted to throw in yet another good word for Colorado. Even though we've had our recent arctic blast (felt by most of the country anyway), it seriously is sunny here all the time. In the summer it can be hot but there is no humidity so you are rarely caked in sweat and your hair never gets frizzy. In the winter it can be cold, but the snow melts quickly. If you happen to like the snow, you're only an hours' drive from the mountains. We also have very few mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, intestinal parasites, etc. A dog owner's paradise! I've worked in an animal hospital for two years now and I have never seen a flea or tick on a patient (unless they recently traveled somewhere). We hardly ever see intestinal parasites (minus giardia) on our floats (unless they are puppies or were recently adopted from another state). And although heartworm is on the rise everywhere, we only saw one positive case in our hospital last year. Pretty awesome...
 
Colorado, boy would I love to live there. I went for a conference last year and the weather was perfect. Plus, mountains!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad