SCOTUS will increase to 11 or 13 Justices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How about the claim than many people can't walk, run, bike, commute to work? In which cities is this totally impossible?

Per CDC obesity in the US in 2017-2018: 42%! But yeah people go hungry.

What in the world?
This is getting way off topic.

The infrastructure in the US isn’t set up with walking and bike paths readily available.

I don’t own a car and walk or take public transport pretty much everywhere.

A couple months ago I went on a "staycation" to a bed and breakfast in a suburb. I took a train there. I googled the closest restaurant and was like great, it’s only 1.5 miles away so I can def walk there and back for dinner since I didn’t have a car.

Joke was on me because I forgot that in the suburbs they often don’t have sidewalks. The 1.5 mile walk would’ve been on a windy road with lots of trees, no sidewalk on a 2 lane road where the speed limit was 40mph. I most likely would’ve gotten hit by a car walking there. So instead I took a lyft. That is the reality in most places. It gets dark at 4pm, so you expect people to walk in the middle of the road with their kids to and from work and school?

Nonsense and wouldn’t even address the fact that we’re in a PANDEMIC which is why so many people in this country are struggling financially.

And I’m guessing you’ve never worked with or met people that are poor and go hungry? Mexico and India also have high obesity rates, so you’re telling me that no one goes hungry in those countries either?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, I know many of you are in a different speciality than I am in, but I can’t imagine reacting to a patient who told me they lost their job which means they lost their health insurance so they couldn’t afford their medication by saying "well did you think about selling your car?" Wtf. This is a normal scenario that happened pre-pandemic and has been happening a lot more now. Some of you all have lost touch with reality and have no compassion.

Reactions: 6 users
How about you or he defend the first claim before you go jumping about with more distracting nonsense?
~40% of Americans can not save themselves from an unexpected $400 bill... I understand there is a 10% of the US with IQ that is than 1 sdv below average that unfortunately will need some government help, but there is a problem when 40% of the population of the richest country in the world don't have $400 saved.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
~40% of Americans can not save themselves from an unexpected $400 bill... I understand there is a 10% of the US with IQ that is than 1 sdv below average that unfortunately will need some government help, but there is a problem when 40% of the population of the richest country in the world don't have $400 saved.

You're thinking this says one thing while in reality it says something else. 40% of Americans can't come up with $400 bucks because at least that many if not more Americans are living paycheck to paycheck. And they're not living p2p because they're wasting money left and right- they're living that way because 40% of *households* , not individuals, make less than 50k a year and 25% make less than 35k a year.

Hard to put away $400 when you're just barely covering rent, food, clothing, and transportation....

Reactions: 3 users

Yes and the problem is with wages and not with people’s desire to be lazy/not save.

The federal minimum wage is 7.25. That certainly hasn’t kept up with inflation, it hasn’t increased in 11 years. That’s a little over $1100 per month before taxes if you work 40 hours per week. Why aren’t we paying people a living wage? Please tell me how much per month you could save on a salary under $1000 a month after paying your basic expenses?

Why aren’t you out advocating for change at the root cause instead of blaming people for living within a certain set of circumstances?

You just said above that at one point your household income before med school was 120k. Do you realize that’s much higher than most people make every year? That’s more than my parents made while I was growing up.

And obviously the pandemic has made things much worse.
You’re really not in touch with many people’s reality.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes and the problem is with wages and not with people’s desire to be lazy/not save.

The federal minimum wage is 7.25. That certainly hasn’t kept up with inflation, it hasn’t increased in 11 years. That’s a little over $1100 per month before taxes if you work 40 hours per week. Why aren’t we paying people a living wage? Please tell me how much per month you could save on a salary under $1000 a month after paying your basic expenses?

Why aren’t you out advocating for change at the root cause instead of blaming people for living within a certain set of circumstances?

You just said above that at one point your household income before med school was 120k. Do you realize that’s much higher than most people make every year? That’s more than my parents made while I was growing up.

And obviously the pandemic has made things much worse.
You’re really not in touch with many people’s reality.
That's the impression I have gotten since I moved to the US. I might be wrong, however.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Incidentally, this is why trickle down is a myth and stimulus for the middle class and the poor works best. The middle class and poor actually have needs which require spending thus putting that money back into the economy whereas rich people usually just hoard a good chunk of it.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m not going to comment on the back and forth over whether there is a lack of self accountability on those who make much less money than we do.

However I do want to point out the drastic change in norm over the past 50 or so years that has increased what many people feel are “basic” expenses.

Years ago....

A household might have had 1 television...antenna... no cable bill.

No internet bill.

No cell phone bill.

Maybe 1 car for a family? Car insurance?

No Netflix Hulu AppleTV Spotify Amazon Prime subscription.

No credit card yearly fees.

No Costco membership.

No gym membership.

Gaming system? Kids played outside.

I am sure there are more examples.

Now think about how much more is “expected” today versus years ago. Nothing to do with inflation, simply that things have come into existence and somehow have become standard in American life, whether you can afford it or not.

• Okay...
You're thinking this says one thing while in reality it says something else. 40% of Americans can't come up with $400 bucks because at least that many if not more Americans are living paycheck to paycheck. And they're not living p2p because they're wasting money left and right- they're living that way because 40% of *households* , not individuals, make less than 50k a year and 25% make less than 35k a year.

Hard to put away $400 when you're just barely covering rent, food, clothing, and transportation....
Rent is the crux here I think. Even in my little corner of the country, house price/sq ft has gone up 50% in the 3 years since we moved into this particular neighborhood.

My med school apartment, which I paid $500/month for 10 years ago, is now $1100/month.

Our first house, which we sold for $270k 6 years ago just sold again for 500k.

This is in 3 different locations in South Carolina, I can't imagine what's happening in big cities or more desirable locations.

• Okay...
I purchased my first car for less than 1k... These people are driving 10k+ car and probably have an iphone as well.
I’m glad you could bring to life the trope I mocked earlier. Bravo.

And yea it’s a really dumb question. Not only is it just food, but following up with “but in 3rd world countries” is just disgusting. In that example think how privileged it is to be a doctor here compared to these 3rd world places. The ****ing irony.

You bitches should be counting your blessings and not sticking up your nose. And then you’ll cry about being talked to this way. And people wonder why doctors are no longer respected in this country. So out of touch.

1606755219827.jpeg

Last edited:
There is a hefty amount of irony in the cultist Trump movement. In its basic existence, it’s the result of people of not being able to keep up with modern technology and compete in the changing social and economic culture. And it is that very incompetence that has made social media the most dangerous source of idiotic ideas.

Before the internet, your stupid ideas were generally subverted by the intelligence of those propped up in magazines, TV, entertainment, and newspapers. There was an acceptance that there was a pecking order, and if you were a deranged idiot, you felt it. But, as the internet came about, it was easier to find other idiots just like you.

Now instead of revered figures, we have regular ass idiots getting and mass spreading of idiots. Twerking abound, duck callers, viral videos rewarding the most basic and simpleton-like acts of human expression. Now you don’t have to do things like read, think, engage in bettering yourself.

And here we are...
Twerking abound... I can’t stop laughing. So damn true.
As a black person I am appalled at the non-stop twerking. Why is this even a thing?
Thanks for making me laugh.

Last edited:
There can be 2 truths here. Many Americans are struggling and many Americans live outside their means. Don’t execute the guy based on one comment though it does come off as out of touch.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a hefty amount of irony in the cultist Trump movement. In its basic existence, it’s the result of people of not being able to keep up with modern technology and compete in the changing social and economic culture. And it is that very incompetence that has made social media the most dangerous source of idiotic ideas.

Before the internet, your stupid ideas were generally subverted by the intelligence of those propped up in magazines, TV, entertainment, and newspapers. There was an acceptance that there was a pecking order, and if you were a deranged idiot, you felt it. But, as the internet came about, it was easier to find other idiots just like you.

Now instead of revered figures, we have regular ass idiots getting and mass spreading of idiots. Twerking abound, duck callers, viral videos rewarding the most basic and simpleton-like acts of human expression. Now you don’t have to do things like read, think, engage in bettering yourself.

And here we are...
Now remember which side tends to not believe in experts, science, and all that stuff invented by whites, to the level of allergic intolerance. (Hint: Critical Race Theory and Critical Social Justice).

There are as many brainwashed cultists on the extreme left as on the extreme right. Heck, that's why I am disappointed with this forum (too few moderates posting, too few noisy intolerant extremists suspended).

Last edited by a moderator:
Now remember which side tends to not believe in experts, science, and all that stuff invented by whites. (Hint: Critical Race Theory and Critical Social Justice).

There are as many brainwashed cultists on the extreme left as on the extreme right. Heck, that's why I am disappointed with this forum.
Except that there’s not as many. Most liberals do not care about Critical Race Theory or even know what it is. This was just some random buzzword thrown out by Trump to drum up the people I alluded to in my post so we’re not focused on what actually matters. Which podcast got you amped up on that topic FFP? Maybe you should reread that post and self reflect.

• Haha
Twerking abound... I can’t stop laughing. So damn true.
As a black person I am appalled at the non-stop tweaking. Why is this even a thing?
Thanks for making me laugh.
It’s a thing because Kylie Jenner is a billionaire .. Our values have shifted, and I blame secularism to a degree. I’m not religious but I think the delegitimization of the Catholic Church has seriously damaged our society.

Except that there’s not as many. Most liberals do not care about Critical Race Theory or even know what it is. This was just some random buzzword thrown out by Trump to drum up the people I alluded to in my post so we’re not focused on what actually matters. Which podcast got you amped up on that topic FFP? Maybe you should reread that post and self reflect.
Critical Race Theory is a racist POS. Same for all the idiocies about "white/Asian privilege". Yet nobody on the left stands up to say it, not even here. For the extreme left, blacks are the new saints and whites are the devil. Only extremists think in terms of group identity; moderate people don't.

The highly-educated coastal elites are totally decoupled from reality. They live in Utopia, and try to persecute anybody who doesn't share their Marxist values (just look at all the Marxism and racism in the workplace, disguised as diversity measures and required non-professional training). Conservatives and their values ARE persecuted in many corporations. And I may not agree with them, but sure as heck do I agree with their right to free speech and liberty of thought, which is being trampled on by the cultists on the left.

Just watch the 2022 elections. The Republicans will win both chambers, and the Democrats will keep blaming racism, instead of their own intolerance.

Critical Race Theory is a racist POS. Same for all the idiocies about "white privilege". Yet nobody stands up to say it, not even here.

The highly-educated coastal elites are totally decoupled from reality. They live in Utopia, and try to persecute anybody who doesn't share their Marxist values.

Just watch the 2022 elections. The Republicans will win both chambers.
I’m ok saying that white privilege shouldn’t be a thing if we can focus on the privilege of the haves compared to the have nots.

Regardless of the root cause, there is an uptick in people seeking out food donations these days. The holidays are a time for giving, and in that spirit our local food bank is asking for donations through a Reverse Advent Calendar. This is how it works: Every day, Dec 1 through 24, place one non-perishable food item into a box, and by Dec 25 you'll have a box filled and ready to donate to those in need. I'm sharing this idea because I think it is an especially nice activity to do with children as a teachable moment, but even adults can benefit from a daily reminder of just how blessed they are and performing 24 acts of kindness towards others is good for the soul. It's a win-win. So, if you like the idea, please spread it to others. Tomorrow is Dec 1. Let's fill some boxes.

• Love
How about the claim than many people can't walk, run, bike, commute to work? In which cities is this totally impossible?

Per CDC obesity in the US in 2017-2018: 42%! But yeah people go hungry.
Let’s see, Dallas. Houston. Austin. San Antonio.
Obviously I am from Texas. Texas cities encompass large square miles and people are often living 10-30 miles from where they work. In the same city. Do you have any idea how hot Texas can get in the summer? To walk even a mile in the summer could end up in badness.
You seriously can’t be this ignorant to how giant this country and its many metroplexes are as compared to Europe can you? Because you sure are sounding ignorant.
Do you know also know how bike friendly most American cities are? Or are you just so used to Europe and your small countries and good public transportation that you think that is a universal truth?

Last edited:
So where do we fit in? Are we in the haves or the have nots?
Any society in which doctors are not privileged (in exchange for the years sacrificed, and all the crap that comes with the territory) is a society not worth living in (even for non-doctors).

A society that doesn't value its professional/intellectual elites is a society that has its values upside down, and will never amount to anything. Even communist countries are/were non-egalitarian in reality.

Any society in which doctors are not privileged (in exchange for the years sacrificed, and all the crap that comes with the territory) is a society not worth living in (even for non-doctors).

A society that doesn't value its professional/intellectual elites is a society that has its values upside down.
Cool. I was just asking what we are though. Are we considered haves?
Because we do earn a good living even though it certainly wasn’t given to us or is in the top 0.1%.

Cool. I was just asking what we are though. Are we considered haves?
Because we do earn a good living even though it certainly wasn’t given to us or is in the top 0.1%.
I would definitely consider ourselves among the haves, as long as we earn much more than the average American, but I am absolutely not ashamed of that (I only make about 150/hour).

There is some mixed truth to Brabek-Letmathes comments. Which he later clarified. I recognize the suffering. Also, some cases related some not, I also feel the need to acknowledge personal responsibility. I’m not as much defending dhbs comments as much as I’m saying I don’t understand the immediate reaction to his comments (dismissive/name calling)

Attachments

• B858C643-E983-4A51-B864-008CD51E7875.png
    B858C643-E983-4A51-B864-008CD51E7875.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 38
I would definitely consider ourselves among the haves, as long as we earn much more than the average American, but I am absolutely not ashamed of that (I only make about 150/hour).
So in response to the previous poster we need to not pay attention to White privilege and now focus on the haves such as us.
Oh ****. I am blessed, but Lord. I better check my Third World Rich African Woman privilege then.

So in response to the previous poster we need to not pay attention to White privilege and now focus on the haves such as us.
Oh ****. I am blessed, but Lord. I better check my Third world African privilege then.
I don't pay attention to any well-deserved anything. If one tells me that Bezos is a billionaire, I will say "Good for him!".

If anything, I would suggest I deserve to earn much more than 150/hour (when my independent mechanic charges 110), which I would, except a bunch of bureaucrats and middlemen have invented ways to suck away 40+% of my income.

Most of the stuff in my life were not handed to me on a silver platter.

My main "privileges" are not being harassed by racist policemen for my skin color, and especially having been born into a good decent family in a relatively decent society. Those ones I admit to. The rest is my (family's/native country's/America's) merit. Family is the most important, by far, something that tends to come up a lot with (un)successful people.

There is some mixed truth to Brabek-Letmathes comments. Which he later clarified. I recognize the suffering. Also, some cases related some not, I also feel the need to acknowledge personal responsibility. I’m not as much defending dhbs comments as much as I’m saying I don’t understand the immediate reaction to his comments (dismissive/name calling)
I mean I am being hyperbolic in the same sense he is, but maybe the intention wasn’t clear. But in any case I think the reaction comes from the surprise of someone on SDN making what is essentially a stereotypical movie depiction of a rich valley girl visiting a food bank for first time.

I mean I am being hyperbolic in the same sense he is, but maybe the intention wasn’t clear. But in any case I think the reaction comes from the surprise of someone on SDN making what is essentially a stereotypical movie depiction of a rich valley girl visiting a food bank for first time.
Look at some of those cars. They are worth much more than the used (20K when new) sedan I drive.

A lot of Americans have some serious personal finance illiteracy; God forbid you point it out to them.

Reactions: 7 users
Look at some of those cars. They are worth much more than the used sedan I drive.

A lot of Americans have some serious personal finance illiteracy; God forbid you point it out to them.
They do, and the system takes advantage of them. It’s easy to get a car loan, but it’s hard to get one with a good rate. It’s hard to get a mortgage. Thus a lot people are living paycheck to paycheck with most of it going to rent and vehicle.

They do, and the system takes advantage of them. It’s easy to get a car loan, but it’s hard to get one with a good rate. It’s hard to get a mortgage. Thus a lot people are living paycheck to paycheck with most of it going to rent and vehicle.
I too am a renter. Americans have this false idea that a house is a good investment (hence one of the highest rates of home ownership in the world). Historically, it hasn't been (better than the stock market), especially for people in low tax brackets.

And used vehicles are way cheaper in total cost of ownership than new ones, especially cheap if midsize or smaller (versus some disgusting luxury SUVs one sees in those food bank lines). Look at the average size of American vs European cars. As a doctor, I drive a car that's currently worth about 7K.

When I told one of my coworkers that it's not normal to pay for unlimited cellular data for his children, that 2GB is more than enough (hence I pay less than $20 per line for unlimited calls/text, after taxes etc.), he said he couldn't. Now THAT's privilege, the privilege of stupidity, and I see it a lot, even in poor people. I too have seen iPhones in the hands of people on Medicaid, and a lot of upscale/luxury cars owned by "persecuted" racial minorities. (My wife and I still have to spend more than $300 on a smartphone, my iPad is a mini 2 bought 5 years ago, when it was already 2 generations old, and I write on a quality laptop bought for $350 during an amazing sale - my previous one had been a refurbished Lenovo.) And so on, and so forth.

Per the Marxist left, I probably should apologize for the privilege of self-educating myself into being relatively frugal, while an unemployed immigrant. :rolleyes:

I too am a renter. Americans have this false idea that a house is a good investment (hence one of the highest rates of home ownership in the world). Historically, it hasn't been (better than the stock market), especially for people in low tax brackets.

And used vehicles are way cheaper in total cost of ownership than new ones, especially cheap if midsize or smaller (versus some disgusting luxury SUVs one sees in those food bank lines). Look at the average size of American vs European cars. As a doctor, I drive a car that's currently worth about 7K.

When I told one of my coworkers that it's not normal to pay for unlimited cellular data for his children, that 2GB is more than enough (hence I pay less than $20 per line for unlimited calls/text, after taxes etc.), he said he couldn't. Now THAT's privilege, the privilege of stupidity, and I see it a lot, even in poor people. I too have seen iPhones in the hands of people on Medicaid, and a lot of upscale/luxury cars owned by "persecuted" racial minorities. (My wife and I still have to spend more than $300 on a smartphone, my iPad is a mini 2 bought 5 years ago, when it was already 2 generations old, and I write on a quality laptop bought for $350 during an amazing sale - my previous one had been a refurbished Lenovo.)

Per the Marxist left, I probably should apologize for the privilege of self-educating myself into being relatively frugal, while an unemployed immigrant. :rolleyes:
If he has the money for it and is not struggling paycheck to paycheck I don't see the issue with this unless their children are spoiled brats and need to be taught a lesson.

If he has the money for it and is not struggling paycheck to paycheck I don't see the issue with this unless their children are spoiled brats and need to be taught a lesson.
Because **** happens in life, and one should keep saving as much as possible (within reason), until one's monthly expenses are down to less than 5% of one's savings. Ours are much less than 1%, btw.

Of course, I spend less on almost EVERYTHING than he does (including the value of the cars we drive), by a degree of magnitude; God forbid he ever loses his job or becomes disabled.

Life is about memories and experiences (not things), most of which are relatively cheap.

"I've seen a couple poor people with a brand new iphone ergo every poor or lower middle class person in america is financially irresponsible"

....is apparently what passes for evidence nowadays. It's funny how the plural of anecdote somehow becomes evidence as long as those anecdotes fit one's preconceived bias.

• Love
Because **** happens in life, and one should keep saving as much as possible (within reason), until one's monthly expenses are down to less than 5% of one's savings. Ours are much less than 1%, btw.

Of course, I spend less on almost EVERYTHING than he does (including the value of the cars we drive), by a degree of magnitude; God forbid he ever loses his job or becomes disabled.

Life is about memories and experiences (not things), most of which are truly cheap.
I agree you should save as much as possible. Maybe you use less data than most, but I read UTD, google maps, wireless hotspot in the car, etc. on my phone and sometimes use 2-3gb per month. Just because someone spends money differently than you doesn't mean your way is better. I save judiciously but if someone is making 3-400k I don't see why you are judging them for what they spend their money on. They earned that. Poor people not saving or spending money on unlimited data is a different issue.

If you roll up to a food bank in a 25k$ car i'm going to laugh 100% of the time. And maybe i'm ignorant but i won't have the indecency to call any of them poor.
This does not mean that i don't believe people can't fall on hard times or that i sponsor a 5$/h minimum wage.

Look at some of those cars. They are worth much more than the used (20K when new) sedan I drive.

Agreed completely. I am about to purchase a new car and my budget is $20k.

When I told one of my coworkers that it's not normal to pay for unlimited cellular data for his children, that 2GB is more than enough (hence I pay less than $20 per line for unlimited calls/text, after taxes etc.), he said he couldn't. Now THAT's privilege, the privilege of stupidity, and I see it a lot, even in poor people. I too have seen iPhones in the hands of people on Medicaid, and a lot of upscale/luxury cars owned by "persecuted" racial minorities. (My wife and I still have to spend more than $300 on a smartphone, my iPad is a mini 2 bought 5 years ago, when it was already 2 generations old, and I write on a quality laptop bought for $350 during an amazing sale - my previous one had been a refurbished Lenovo.) And so on, and so forth.

I am the same way. The way I live and dress and the purses I carry, most people would never think I was a doctor. My car 9 years old and worth about 7 k. After my divorce I paid for my parents old 2006 Cadillac that is now falling apart since we needed a second car and I am choosing to upgrade to a 2017 Acura for <20k since I don’t want to pay for repairs on a car I don’t even like.
I too agree that too many Americans live on credit and in debt. Rich and poor alike. They are brainwashed into living this lifestyle that they can’t afford because getting things on credit is so easy. I can think of this specific commercial that I am gonna have to look up actually.
No Thank You.
I don’t blame the system. I blame the financial illiteracy of too many people. And the constant trying to keep up with the Joneses. And the constant “I deserve it” attitude.

Last edited:
I am the same way. The way I live and dress and the purses I carry, most people would never think I was a doctor. My car 9 years old and worth about 7 k. After my divorce I paid for my parents old 2006 Cadillac that is now falling apart since we needed a second car and I am choosing to upgrade to a 2017 Acura for <20k since I don’t want to pay for repairs on a car I don’t even like.
I too agree that too many Americans live on credit and in debt. Rich and poor alike. They are brainwashed into living this lifestyle that they can’t afford because getting things on credit is so easy. I can think of this specific commercial that I am gonna have to look up actually.
No Thank You.
I don’t blame the system. I blame the financial illiteracy of too many people. And the constant trying to keep up with the Joneses. And the constant “I deserve it” attitude.
That's the thing, it can be both. Wages haven't kept up in the last 20 years like they did prior to that. But, even if they had it wouldn't be an automatic fix given what you pointed out here.

I agree you should save as much as possible. Maybe you use less data than most, but I read UTD, google maps, wireless hotspot in the car, etc. on my phone and sometimes use 2-3gb per month. Just because someone spends money differently than you doesn't mean your way is better. I save judiciously but if someone is making 3-400k I don't see why you are judging them for what they spend their money on. They earned that. Poor people not saving or spending money on unlimited data is a different issue.
I don't care how much other people save (I lean libertarian), until they start complaining how much things cost. Which means they can't really afford them.

I don't worry about money half as much as my colleague. Character is not the only thing that determines destiny; habits do, too. Overeaters get fat; overspenders get poor.

I don't care how much other people save (I lean libertarian), until they start complaining how much things cost. Which means they can't really afford them.

I don't worry about money half as much as my colleague. Character is not the only thing that determines destiny; habits do, too. Overeaters get fat; overspenders get poor.
Most fat people would disagree that they overeat.
I get the constant, “you have a different metabolism.” remark.
Nah stupid. I see what my grocery cart looks like and what yours looks like when I am checking out at the register.

Im not getting into a tit for tat over American spending/savings habits. But
I’m not sure how anyone could live, much less raise a family and provide food and shelter, on the federal minimum wage. It’s ridiculous and terrible. Also many Americans have been laid off or furloughed through the pandemic. Especially those in the service industry. I mean Christ, how many people has Disney laid off now? I see a different article every day about their layoffs. But their stock is going up....

Reactions: 7 users
Also, learning to save your money as opposed to spending it all and living P2P is a learned habit for many. Many (including me...) were raised in families where saving your money for an unplanned emergency was a very foreign concept.

Most fat people would disagree that they overeat.
I get the constant, “you have a different metabolism.” remark.
Nah stupid. I see what my grocery cart looks like and what yours looks like when I am checking out at the register.
I didn't say that most fat people overeat. I said that overeating as a habit will end up making one fat.

You were not very good at higher math, were you? :)

Also, learning to save your money as opposed to spending it all and living P2P is a learned habit for many. Many (including me...) were raised in families where saving your money for an unplanned emergency was a very foreign concept.
And we're getting back to the concept that we all stand on the shoulders of our ancestors and families, and that poor people tend to fail especially because they have poor support, know-how and habits in their families. I mean, holy crap!, this stuff is basic at least since La Fontaine ("The Ant and The Grasshopper").

That also explains much better (than racism) why certain cultures are so successful in America, and others aren't, regardless how much money or affirmative action we throw at problems. But I do agree that we need a much higher minimal wage.

It’s not even that people are necessarily wrong when they point out that Americans could save more or have better financial literacy. The problem is that people erroneously or cynically use (abuse) that premise to cut Medicaid, food stamps, public education funding, freeze the minimum wage, promote regressive taxation policy, and make idiotic statements like “sell your car if you can’t meet the grocery bill this month” .

I didn't say that most fat people overeat. I said that overeating as a habit will end up making one fat.

You were not very good at higher math, were you? :)
Smart ass. That was my own comment. Didn’t say you said it.
And yeah, I still stand by it.

• Haha