SCOTUS will increase to 11 or 13 Justices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh, you’re not worried about what think tanks say? How about what trump’s own DHS and his trumpy acting secretary of homeland security said?

No, I'm not worried about what they had to say. Thanks for asking. The US is an empire in decline. The attendant corruption is expected.

Members don't see this ad.

Why are we supposed to care about what left-wing think tanks have to spout about these so-called threats? I've written it before, and I'll write it again: every single window broken, item stolen, police car vandalized, and officer attacked in the BLM/Antifa riots last year was an act of terrorism by the official definition. GTFOH if you expect people to believe that the majority of terrorism is committed by right-wingers. The fact that an occasional right-wing nutjob commits a violent, terroristic act that gets media attention doesn't negate the fact that left-wing terrorism has become far more of a player, and happens to be much more effective wrt enlistment of corporations and governmental entities.

And no, I'm not going to post every single corporate social media post expressing "solidarity" with the rioters this past spring-fall. Anyone reading this who has IG, FB, or Twitter saw them. And to those who abstain from social media, good for you and your sanity.
Foreign Policy and the Brookings Institution are solidly centrist by any measure, and if you are unaware of this you're clearly just a partisan sheep or simply uneducated with regard to policy

Left-wing terorism just isn't a deadly threat in the past few decades, but right-wing terrorism is a well-established threat to both American lives and democracy at this time and anyone in *actual policy circles and who doesn't just follow sensationalist news* is well aware of this fact

And no, I'm not going to post every single corporate social media post expressing "solidarity" with the rioters (oops, I mean the "peaceful protesters" enjoying their carbecues) this past spring-fall. Anyone reading this who has IG, FB, or Twitter saw them. And to those who abstain from social media, good for you and your sanity.

Odds are you’re also not going to post the repeated tweets or posts or interviews from Biden and other dem politicians, Al Sharpton, or the families of Breonna Taylor or George Floyd begging for peaceful protests because a small number of rioters distracts from the message.

Because then you couldn’t keep gaslighting everyone.

No, I'm not worried about what they had to say. Thanks for asking.

I get it. Head in the sand is a much easier approach to life.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Odds are you’re also not going to post the repeated tweets and posts from Biden and other dem politicians, Al Sharpton, or the families of Breonna Taylor or George Floyd begging for peaceful protests because a small number of rioters distracts from the message.

Because then you couldn’t keep gaslighting everyone.

I get it. Head in the sand is a much easier approach to life.

Good for them. Do those tweets and posts change the fact that left-wingers committed thousands (probably tens of thousands) of acts of terrorism this past spring-fall? No, they do not.

Good for them. Do those tweets and posts change the fact that left-wingers committed thousands (probably tens of thousands) of acts of terrorism this past spring-fall? No, they do not.
Good goal post move attempt, but you just lied by stating that corporations purposefully showed solidarity with rioters. No corporation did that. D politicians, activists, and families of victims also didn’t do that. Stop lying.

Show any tweets from any mainstream politicians or corporations supporting rioters. Oh right, you can't because it didn't happen

Antifa is literally just antifascists. They have no political goals aside from disrupting fascists. The idea that they're radical leftists is ridiculous, they have a lot of different ideas and beliefs (though most are anarchists) but are brought together by one thing- hating white supremacists, fascists, and Nazis. The only people that need to be concerned about antifa are fascists and racists, it's ridiculous that this has even become a thing. In Europe they've been around since prior to WWII and they literally only show up for one thing- dressing in black to punch fascists and racists in the tradition of Cable Street. We didn't have them here because until recently we didn't have real fascists, but alas, we've allowed those desiring right-wing totalitarianism to thrive so they popped up to counter them

I remember that you posted this months ago, before I went on break from this thread. I've added the bolding for emphasis. Just to clarify, you don't support the aforementioned political violence (i.e., terrorism), right?

This is the domestic threat assessment by the DHS under Trump. Relevant pages are 17-20. Antifa is not even mentioned.

48F2E134-A8ED-40D6-8BDD-F2982DFDCC25.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
I remember that you posted this months ago, before I went on break from this thread. I've added the bolding for emphasis. Just to clarify, you don't support the aforementioned political violence (i.e., terrorism), right?
While I enjoy watching Nazis getting punched as much as anyone, I think anyone doing illegal things should go to jail for said illegal things. Cable Street was certai ly an effective maneuver, and while everyone should get lengthy prison sentences for such behavior, as a centrist I view it as a cleansing of society as the fringes wipe each other out. A fringe element of the left that specifically targets only fringe elements of the right is a convenience that, similar to a vigilante hunting pedophiles or rapists, I cannot condone but I can appreciate the utility of.

I emplore you, come spend some time in far right and left circles with me so you can understamd the politics at play. You'll very quickly see why both are problems but why only the far right is a legitimate risk to the potential health and safety of citizens. Come, please, and see for yourself. Just be aware that you will end up on a lot of watch lists along the way, which is inconvenient because the TSA always tags at airports and certain government jobs are a little iffy about hiring you

Dude, this was published months after CHAZ was established in Seattle. CHAZ. They literally took over a police precinct.

Regardless of the figurehead, the US govt is a clownshow at this point.

It was published in October 2020. CHAZ was in June 2020.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, this was published months after CHAZ was established in Seattle. CHAZ. They literally took over a police precinct.

Regardless of the figurehead, the US govt is a clownshow at this point.
And CHAZ fell apart, because left wing movements are neither cohesive nor sustainable. The *reason* they were left alone is because people that understand policy understand this. There was no great violence when the CHAZ collapsed, and the only violence that came of it was basically the same sort of petty crime you would see in a bad neighborhood in most large cities. Meanwhile, far-right extremists have literally killed hundreds of people over the last two decades, plotted to kidnap a governor, and stormed the national capitol with goals of capturing political opponents in one case and overturning the will of the wntire nation in the other. Right-wing extremists have goals, motive, means, and conviction. Far leftists lack all of the components required for effective disruption of life or society, and the best way to combat them is to simply let them destroy themselves or to allow their movemenfs to lose steam. Meanwhile, right-wing extremists are one gun control bill away from a civil war.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
While I enjoy watching Nazis getting punched as much as anyone, I think anyone doing illegal things should go to jail for said illegal things. Cable Street was certai ly an effective maneuver, and while everyone should get lengthy prison sentences for such behavior, as a centrist I view it as a cleansing of society as the fringes wipe each other out. A fringe element of the left that specifically targets only fringe elements of the right is a convenience that, similar to a vigilante hunting pedophiles or rapists, I cannot condone but I can appreciate the utility of.

I emplore you, come spend some time in far right and left circles with me so you can understamd the politics at play. You'll very quickly see why both are problems but why only the far right is a legitimate risk to the potential health and safety of citizens. Come, please, and see for yourself. Just be aware that you will end up on a lot of watch lists along the way, which is inconvenient because the TSA always tags at airports and certain government jobs are a little iffy about hiring you

yeah, i'd rather maintain my pre-check

Exactly my point
They didn't consider it a threat because it wasn't. It would crumble on its own. Intervention would only embolden those who supported it. You have to understand psychology to crush extremists, and the core traits of leftist movements are both laziness and a lack of cohesion. These things lead to the disintegration of movements rapidly without major intervention being required

the core traits of leftist movements are both laziness and a lack of cohesion.
How dare you belittle my attempt to redistribute Bezos’s money by posting vigorously about it on the internet with other strangers

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
How dare you belittle my attempt to redistribute Bezos’s money by posting vigorously about it on the internet with other strangers
Left wing extremists: Either burning down a Target or posting online about guillotineing Bezos while actually doing absolutely nothing

Right wing extremists: Literally arming and preparing for all-out war against the United States of America, plotting to capture governors, raiding the capitol of our nation, literally one gun law away from losing their collective **** and murdering every federal agent they see

I say this as a person that will absolutely lose my **** if there is any kind of gun ban because the second amendment is a sacred thing that is designed to protect us from tyranny not allow us to hunt or engage in self-defense

• Hmm
  • Wow

Anyone who claims all the major networks’ prime time opinion shows have this level of unrelenting lying are either totally ignorant or also themselves lying

Yeah it's not editorializing. It's just plain lying on good old Faux News.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah it's not editorializing. It's just plain lying on good old Faux News.

Fox’s own lawyers have stated in court that Carlson’s show is not factual news reporting. It’s just made up bullsh*t.

“The Fox team's legal briefs compared Carlson's show to radio talk-show programs hosted by ex-MSNBC and Fox Business star Don Imus, who won a case more than two decades ago because an appellate court ruled that "the complained of statements would not have been taken by reasonable listeners as factual pronouncements but simply as instances in which the defendant radio hosts had expressed their views over the air in the crude and hyperbolic manner that has, over the years, become their verbal stock in trade."

In sum, the Fox News lawyers mocked the legal case made by McDougal's legal team. She alleged "a reasonable viewer of ordinary intelligence listening or watching the show ... would conclude that [she] is a criminal who extorted Trump for money" and that "the statements about [her] were fact."

"Context makes plain," Fox's lawyers wrote, "that the reasonable viewer would do no such thing."

Fox’s own lawyers have stated in court that Carlson’s show is not factual news reporting. It’s just made up bullsh*t.

“The Fox team's legal briefs compared Carlson's show to radio talk-show programs hosted by ex-MSNBC and Fox Business star Don Imus, who won a case more than two decades ago because an appellate court ruled that "the complained of statements would not have been taken by reasonable listeners as factual pronouncements but simply as instances in which the defendant radio hosts had expressed their views over the air in the crude and hyperbolic manner that has, over the years, become their verbal stock in trade."

In sum, the Fox News lawyers mocked the legal case made by McDougal's legal team. She alleged "a reasonable viewer of ordinary intelligence listening or watching the show ... would conclude that [she] is a criminal who extorted Trump for money" and that "the statements about [her] were fact."

"Context makes plain," Fox's lawyers wrote, "that the reasonable viewer would do no such thing."

That...is...amazing.

Deep Green Freeze by the WSJ.
Gas and power prices have spiked across the central U.S. while Texas regulators ordered rolling blackouts Monday as an Arctic blast has frozen wind turbines. Herein is the paradox of the left’s climate agenda: The less we use fossil fuels, the more we need them.
A mix of ice and snow swept across the country this weekend as temperatures plunged below zero in the upper Midwest and into the teens in Houston. Cold snaps happen—the U.S. also experienced a Polar Vortex in 2019—as do heat waves. Yet the power grid is becoming less reliable due to growing reliance on wind and solar, which can’t provide power 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Texas’s energy emergency could last all week as the weather is forecast to remain frigid. “My understanding is, the wind turbines are all frozen,” Public Utility Commission Chairman DeAnn Walker said Friday. “We are working already to try and ensure we have enough power but it’s taken a lot of coordination.”
Wind’s share has tripled to about 25% since 2010 and accounted for 42% of power last week before the freeze set in. About half of Texans rely on electric pumps for heating, which liberals want to mandate everywhere. But the pumps use a lot of power in frigid weather. So while wind turbines were freezing, demand for power was surging.
California progressives long ago banished coal. But a heat wave last summer strained the state’s power grid as wind flagged and solar ebbed in the evenings. After imposing rolling blackouts, grid regulators resorted to importing coal power from Utah and running diesel emergency generators.
Liberals claim that prices of renewables and fossil fuels are now comparable, which may be true due to subsidies, but they are no free lunch, as this week’s energy emergency shows. The Biden Administration’s plan to banish fossil fuels is a greater existential threat to Americans than climate change.
You, uh, understand that the Texas grid is strained precisely because about 80 years ago they deliberately decided to not interconnect it across state lines to avoid federal regulations, right? It's a point of pride, sort of, for Texans. Well, some of them. Maybe fewer of them this week.

They're not completely independent though. Occasionally the state imports power from Mexico.

Reactions: 8 users
Deep Green Freeze by the WSJ.
Gas and power prices have spiked across the central U.S. while Texas regulators ordered rolling blackouts Monday as an Arctic blast has frozen wind turbines. Herein is the paradox of the left’s climate agenda: The less we use fossil fuels, the more we need them.
A mix of ice and snow swept across the country this weekend as temperatures plunged below zero in the upper Midwest and into the teens in Houston. Cold snaps happen—the U.S. also experienced a Polar Vortex in 2019—as do heat waves. Yet the power grid is becoming less reliable due to growing reliance on wind and solar, which can’t provide power 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Texas’s energy emergency could last all week as the weather is forecast to remain frigid. “My understanding is, the wind turbines are all frozen,” Public Utility Commission Chairman DeAnn Walker said Friday. “We are working already to try and ensure we have enough power but it’s taken a lot of coordination.”
Wind’s share has tripled to about 25% since 2010 and accounted for 42% of power last week before the freeze set in. About half of Texans rely on electric pumps for heating, which liberals want to mandate everywhere. But the pumps use a lot of power in frigid weather. So while wind turbines were freezing, demand for power was surging.
California progressives long ago banished coal. But a heat wave last summer strained the state’s power grid as wind flagged and solar ebbed in the evenings. After imposing rolling blackouts, grid regulators resorted to importing coal power from Utah and running diesel emergency generators.
Liberals claim that prices of renewables and fossil fuels are now comparable, which may be true due to subsidies, but they are no free lunch, as this week’s energy emergency shows. The Biden Administration’s plan to banish fossil fuels is a greater existential threat to Americans than climate change.
Typical nonsense from the WSJ editorials.

Canada is the 7th largest wind energy producer in the world, so uh yeah, turbines can be winterized.

It just requires foresight and governance from people who aren't so cartoonishly anti-regulation that they resemble the government from Idiocracy

• Love
Typical nonsense from the WSJ editorials.

Canada is the 7th largest wind energy producer in the world, so uh yeah, turbines can be winterized.

It just requires foresight and governance from people who aren't so cartoonishly anti-regulation that they resemble the government from Idiocracy
Balmy Sweden is third in the world so far as energy needs met by renewables. Clearly, this stuff can be winterized

Not wrong but I think that even if it wasn't political the media would try to get it out as fast as it can because that has somehow become more important than being accurate.

Why is the business model depending on speed and clicks over accuracy? Why are the media and neoliberals railing against fake news while promoting fake news and biased, inaccurate reporting?

• Hmm
Also why are Twitter and Facebook regulating the accuracy of the content and imposing fact check alerts when their algorithms and business models require extreme polarization of its users by subjecting them to repeatedly increased levels of confirmation bias?

Ufff not a good look for Ted. Guess it’s fine to throw the kids under the bus for this one. Does he actually think people won’t see through this excuse? Texas is going through a crisis and he got caught dipping, now he pushes blame to his kids. Wow.

Why is the business model depending on speed and clicks over accuracy? Why are the media and neoliberals railing against fake news while promoting fake news and biased, inaccurate reporting?
This reporting was very accurate. “Media and neoliberals”? You serious? Damn dude, you drank the kool-aid. Hope it was the purple kind at least.

• Haha
This reporting was very accurate. “Media and neoliberals”? You serious? Damn dude, you drank the kool-aid. Hope it was the purple kind at least.

Neoliberals are actually legitimately very terrible. Libertarians, progressives and true conservatives are the way to go. The media are terrible for many reasons that were stated before (unless it's WSJ/Reuters/AP reporting)

Ufff not a good look for Ted. Guess it’s fine to throw the kids under the bus for this one. Does he actually think people won’t see through this excuse? Texas is going through a crisis and he got caught dipping, now he pushes blame to his kids. Wow.

“Text messages sent from Ms. Cruz to friends and Houston neighbors on Wednesday revealed a hastily planned trip. Their house was “FREEZING,” as Ms. Cruz put it — and she proposed a getaway until Sunday. Ms. Cruz invited others to join them at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancún, where they had stayed “many times,” noting the room price this week ($309 per night) and its good security. The text messages were provided to The New York Times and confirmed by a second person on the thread, who declined to be identified because of the private nature of the texts.”

Ted Cruz’s Cancún Trip: Family Texts Detail His Political Blunder

• Wow
“Text messages sent from Ms. Cruz to friends and Houston neighbors on Wednesday revealed a hastily planned trip. Their house was “FREEZING,” as Ms. Cruz put it — and she proposed a getaway until Sunday. Ms. Cruz invited others to join them at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancún, where they had stayed “many times,” noting the room price this week ($309 per night) and its good security. The text messages were provided to The New York Times and confirmed by a second person on the thread, who declined to be identified because of the private nature of the texts.”

Must have great "friends":prof:

• Haha

There can't have been TOO many people on that text thread. Gonna be awkward at the next party in Cancún.

• Haha

:unsure:

• Sad
  • Wow
How come Biden approval rating is in the mid 50s when Trump had never reached 50%? I guess the country is not that polarized after all...