This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shariahallen

Reaction score
I have a few questions so I'll try to make this straight to the point! I'm currently pursuing a future career as a Neurosurgeon and I'm getting a tad bit close to the time to apply for Med School (sophomore in undergrad, bio major). I'm currently trying to build up a list of medical schools I don't mind applying to and is good for my desired career as a neurosurgeon, so my first question is what schools do you suggest I add to my list that is good in that area or at least surgery. My go-to places within the US is California, Florida or back home to New York (I go to school in Florida but I'm currently home in NY b/c of COVID), but I will accept suggestions from anywhere really. Also how can I get into internships, shadowing, research and publication opportunities to build up my credentials for Med School? I was volunteering at the hospital last year but it got shut down for COVID, and I'm currently waiting for my CNA class to start. Any advice helps on these topics and I appreciate anyone who takes their time out to help me ! Also would it be worth it to get my Masters and then go to Med School or just dive straight into Med School? I've been debating on if I should do that for a while now.
P.S: I don't mind traveling for Internship, research, etc. opportunities over the summer or any other school breaks and I attached a screenshot of the four schools on my list! Thanks once again!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 10.19.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 10.19.31 AM.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 82
you are jumping the gun a bit.
1) we need to know your MCAT and GPA to be able to recommend schools.
2) what makes you think you want to do neurosurgery? have you shadowed it? if yes, that would help, but you definitely need to add some non surgical shadowing.
3) Masters vs straight to Medical school depends on your competitiveness. Generally, if your goal is to become a doctor, there is usually no point in pursuing masters if your application is already ready and good to go. If you have some gaps in your application that you need to fill, getting masters MIGHT be a good idea.

Reactions: 2 users
also, you i feel like you are approaching the process sort of backwards:

Get your GPA, MCAT -> MSAR your competitiveness, choose schools in the states you prefer -> apply to all of those schools -> go to interviews -> get acceptances (hopefully, several) -> and ONLY THEN decide which school of the ones you are accepted to will be better for neurosurgery

Reactions: 4 users
as far as research, the easiest way to go about it is often going through your research center in your school (or whatever the equivalent is). I would also encourage to make appointment with your healthcare careers advisor if you have those available, and go over your full packet and gage your preparedness.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @M&L . Based on what you posted I’m not sure you understand the process of applying to med school. I see you are new to SDN. Welcome. Now spend some time reading the various forums , especially the WAMC threads , and see what other premeds are doing to get ready to apply.
There isn’t anybody on her who can give you a list or advise you what to do without more information. It’s a good idea to check in with your premed office at your school. They may or may not be helpful but they should have requirements, maybe contacts for your ECs and they’ll be able to tell you if they offer a Committee letter for your application. If they do you’ll want to use that for your application. You have lots of time to apply, so slow down, learn what you need to do and make a plan. Good luck.

you are jumping the gun a bit.
1) we need to know your MCAT and GPA to be able to recommend schools.
2) what makes you think you want to do neurosurgery? have you shadowed it? if yes, that would help, but you definitely need to add some non surgical shadowing.
3) Masters vs straight to Medical school depends on your competitiveness. Generally, if your goal is to become a doctor, there is usually no point in pursuing masters if your application is already ready and good to go. If you have some gaps in your application that you need to fill, getting masters MIGHT be a good idea.
1. Thank you I forgot to state my gpa. it’s a 3.2 as of right now aiming for a 4.0 in the long run ! I’m currently studying for the MCAT just trying to knock out my Pre-reqs.
2. I want to become a neurosurgeon for some personal reasons of watching my grandmother pass from a neurological disorder and I’ve always been interested in neuroscience since I was younger. I’m currently looking for shadow opportunities while I’m home in NY but once I return to campus in Florida I’ll be able to have more access to shadow opportunities!
3. Thank you I was thinking the same thing ! I don’t have any gaps in my application so I think I’ll just get my Bachelors and head to Med School!
Thank you for replying and your advice it’s truly appreciated! :)

also, you i feel like you are approaching the process sort of backwards:

Get your GPA, MCAT -> MSAR your competitiveness, choose schools in the states you prefer -> apply to all of those schools -> go to interviews -> get acceptances (hopefully, several) -> and ONLY THEN decide which school of the ones you are accepted to will be better for neurosurgery
Thank you ! I was a bit confused and lost in the process and I have a tendency of planning too far ahead !

as far as research, the easiest way to go about it is often going through your research center in your school (or whatever the equivalent is). I would also encourage to make appointment with your healthcare careers advisor if you have those available, and go over your full packet and gage your preparedness.
Thank you I’ll be sure to do this when I return to campus in the fall !

I agree with @M&L . Based on what you posted I’m not sure you understand the process of applying to med school. I see you are new to SDN. Welcome. Now spend some time reading the various forums , especially the WAMC threads , and see what other premeds are doing to get ready to apply.
There isn’t anybody on her who can give you a list or advise you what to do without more information. It’s a good idea to check in with your premed office at your school. They may or may not be helpful but they should have requirements, maybe contacts for your ECs and they’ll be able to tell you if they offer a Committee letter for your application. If they do you’ll want to use that for your application. You have lots of time to apply, so slow down, learn what you need to do and make a plan. Good luck.
Thank you ! I appreciate your response! I’ll make sure to check out the other threads to get more insight ! I’ll make sure to contact my pre-Med advisors and the career office as well as my ECs! I completely thought I was running out of time but it’s good to know I’m not and to not stress too much ! Thank you for the warm welcome and advice ! :)

Reactions: 1 user