Second Look - Are All Accepted Students Invited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnysnow7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if all accepted students are usually invited to second look? Or is it only for students holding multiple acceptances?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

All accepted students are invited, regardless of how many other acceptances you have.

Reactions: 1 user
Except Indiana. They only invite a portion of the accepted students.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Usually all accepted students are invited. There's at least 1 school (VCU I think) that also invites (or used to invite) waitlisted applicants.

Why would any wait listed student spend money on a trip to a wait listed school unless they were local? I guess it's nice that they atleast had that option to possibly show interest.

Why would any wait listed student spend money on a trip to a wait listed school unless they were local? I guess it's nice that they at least had that option to possibly show interest.
Yes, it would be nice to show interest for those who find it easy to do so. But I think this hints at a major issue that would exist with this policy: Waitlisted students would feel pressure to attend, thinking that their acceptance may depend on it.

Even some accepted students on here seem to wonder if it will "look bad" if they don't go to Second Look. I am extremely excited to go to Second Look events personally, but I think the undercurrent of pressure to attend is a pitfall that should be addressed.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would any wait listed student spend money on a trip to a wait listed school unless they were local? I guess it's nice that they atleast had that option to possibly show interest.

No idea. I didn't go. I felt like it was a test to see who really liked them.

I probably would have gone if I didn't have acceptances.

Last edited:
What is second look?

When schools invite accepted applicants back for a second look at the school. Usually much less fake than interview day, and you get to meet a lot more current students as well as possible classmates. Most people who I met at second look ended up being in my class but I imagine that may not be the case everywhere.

Out of curiosity, then, is the order of the day more interview wear or business casual or...?

I didn't get to attend Wayne State's second look day because it was only 2 days after I got my acceptance. I called to ask about it and they told me it was full--even if I could have rearranged my work schedule for that Friday I couldn't have attended. From what people have said on these forums, Wayne State only invites people with multiple acceptances... but I can't vouch for that since I didn't go.

I think Tri-I invites top waitlisted (MD/PhD) students back for second look? I've seen it somewhere!

I didn't get to attend Wayne State's second look day because it was only 2 days after I got my acceptance. I called to ask about it and they told me it was full--even if I could have rearranged my work schedule for that Friday I couldn't have attended. From what people have said on these forums, Wayne State only invites people with multiple acceptances... but I can't vouch for that since I didn't go.

Wayne has multiple second-look days throughout the year. The first was in November, I believe. They prioritize to students holding multiple offers, perhaps even exclusively.