Secondary Apps: can you shorten school name in answers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparksflyup

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example, Drexel's secondary asks:

"We at Drexel University College of Medicine have a rich history and a valued mission. Each individual contributes to, supports and enriches our community. Please share with us how you plan on contributing to our College."

In my answer, can I refer to the school as "Drexel" from the start? I'm trying to save words but don't want to come across as disrespectful.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

"We at Drexel University College of Medicine have a rich history and a valued mission. Each individual contributes to, supports and enriches our community. Please share with us how you plan on contributing to our College."

In my answer, can I refer to the school as "Drexel" from the start? I'm trying to save words but don't want to come across as disrespectful.
Since the website itself uses "Drexel" as an abbreviation for the school, after spelling it out completely once, early on, you can use an abbreviated form.

DREXEL'S ADMISSIONS RECOMMENDATIONS
Consistent with the development of scientific and personal competencies as authored by the HHMI and AAMC, Drexel University College of Medicine moved from a premedical requirements model to competency-based recommendations. Drexel has developed a set of coursework and experience competencies that an applicant's classes and activities may fulfill. The College of Medicine will no longer require specific coursework; however, we want applicants to demonstrate competency in certain key areas.

Drexel's coursework and experience competencies: . . . .

MD Program Admissions Requirements/Recommendations - College of Medicine

Reactions: 1 users
Reading the schools admission's website, if they consistently use abbreviation throughout, then I believe it's ok. For professionalism, just use complete spelling in the first instance.

For example, when I wrote the secondary for USC, I used USC throughout except when I first mentioned it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Reading the schools admission's website, if they consistently use abbreviation throughout, then I believe it's ok. For professionalism, just use complete spelling in the first instance.

For example, when I wrote the secondary for USC, I used USC throughout except when I first mentioned it.
Agreed exactly.

Reactions: 1 user

Oh, you should just call them Southern Cal. They really love that. :D

Oh, you should just call them Southern Cal. They really love that. :D
I think "UCLA's pricier lil' bro" is the preferred informal name.

Thanks, everyone! I'll try to tighten up my word count so I can fit in the full school name the first time I use it.