This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medspiration11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a first year DO student (starting really soon!) and I was curious on what, if any, are the possible negative consequences of seeing a counselor/therapist while in med school. I have anxiety, and while it does not render me unstable at all, it is something that pops up from time to time and makes things difficult. I have specific triggers that can cause panic attacks, and I know them well as well as how to cope for the most part, and they would not affect my performance in med school at all. I just want to start CBT to get rid of it altogether or mitigate it as much as I possibly can.

I am curious if any of you guys have had experience with this. i've recently read stuff about how physicians can be labeled as "compromised" and have their seats in medical schools or in residencies/jobs compromised for seeing counselors. I know the golden rule here is to never bring it up, and I don't plan on it, but do the med schools look into who is getting therapy and are there consequences for it? do you suggest seeing your school's counselor over a therapist?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I am a first year DO student (starting really soon!) and I was curious on what, if any, are the possible negative consequences of seeing a counselor/therapist while in med school. I have anxiety, and while it does not render me unstable at all, it is something that pops up from time to time and makes things difficult. I have specific triggers that can cause panic attacks, and I know them well as well as how to cope for the most part, and they would not affect my performance in med school at all. I just want to start CBT to get rid of it altogether or mitigate it as much as I possibly can.

I am curious if any of you guys have had experience with this. i've recently read stuff about how physicians can be labeled as "compromised" and have their seats in medical schools or in residencies/jobs compromised for seeing counselors. I know the golden rule here is to never bring it up, and I don't plan on it, but do the med schools look into who is getting therapy and are there consequences for it? do you suggest seeing your school's counselor over a therapist?
Thanks!

I don't have a ton of experience with this, but I have a little at least. Most schools will have a counseling center or something of the like, so they will have a policy about disclosure. Further, if there is any counselor/therapist that understands the ramifications of a medical student seeking therapy, it is the one that works at a med school. So I would say read the disclosure info and go from there. I would advocate your school's center, because the staff there will probably be more in tune with the needs of med students, etc.

I went to one of our counselors for a couple of months just to talk about stress and time management and stuff and if nothing else it was great just to get all that crap out on the table. It wasn't beneficial to the point that I needed to keep going after first semester, but if I need anything in the future I can always go again.

One last thing...seeing a counselor for stress/anxiety is SO different from seeing a counselor for the things most medical boards/residencies care about. They care mostly about homicidal/suicidal ideations, substance/drug abuse and violent personality disorders. Getting counseling for anxiety is infinitely closer to a non-issue than any of the above. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks!
What part of HIPAA don't you understand???

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people who don't have problems with anxiety flame out, and some that do find they have no problems after the first few weeks. I had low self-esteem and was prone to anxiety when school started. Now I'm a burned out, mean, son of a bitch.

Thanks!

It's better to get it under control now before school starts, but if you're anything like me school only exasperates the issue. That being said, there's nothing wrong with going to see someone for those things while in school and I echo what others say in that it's not that big of an issue to those who you may think have a problem with it. Anxiety and med school go hand in hand and that's why they have these sorts of programs through your school. DM me if you'd rather talk about it there.

What part of HIPAA don't you understand???

Lol. I think we both know how much of a double standard HIPAA can be and most often is.

Even if someone violates hippa and it costs you an opportunity somewhere (hugely unlikely) that is nothing near as devastating as harming yourself or others physically due to an uncontrolled mental health issue or failing out because you aren’t caring for yourself under medical guidance.

Handle your business

Reactions: 4 users
Even if someone violates hippa and it costs you an opportunity somewhere (hugely unlikely) that is nothing near as devastating as harming yourself or others physically due to an uncontrolled mental health issue or failing out because you aren’t caring for yourself under medical guidance.

Handle your business
This is the truth, people don't care whats going on, they care how you deal with it tho. Get yourself in top shape so you can perform to expectation.

Mental health is just as important as physical health. If you are struggling with something go get the help you need. I am a medical student so I know medical school is tough. I have gone to counseling in the past and know of several classmates who are going to consuling now. There is no shame in it and it should not hurt your opportunities in the long run.