Seeking advice on application and what to do after.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arrowslinger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a ORM white male in Texas with a 3.3 GPA and a 2.8-3.0 BCPM GPA (I majored in nutrition and am unsure if certain classes will be counted). I have 332 hours of combined shadowing and 2 internships one from a local pediatric center and one from MD. Anderson in Leukemia, as well as research in child psychology. I take the MCAT on May 23rd (~505 on practice tests) meaning I will be applying June 24th. Those of you who apply through TMDSAS know applications open May 1st. My questions are 1. How late in the cycle am I? 2. What would be the best use of my time while waiting to hear back (special masters program, postbac, masters in related field)? 3. Does anyone know any master programs I could apply to with my credentials that would help my future application as well as provide me with a decent career option after to follow before I reapply?

Members don't see this ad.

1) You are not late in the cycle at all. May 23rd, while not early, is certainly not late. If TMDSAS is similar to AMCAS, then that still sets you up near the front-middle of the pack.
2) Don't be trying to start an SMP, post-bacc, masters during your gap year. Those programs should be for improving your application, not occupying your time during the application cycle. Best thing you can do is work. Earn money. Travel. Enjoy life.
3) The only thing that can help your current position is a formal SMP or a 30 credit, >3.7 post-bacc. I know those would help at a good chunk of AMCAS schools, I cannot speak to TMDSAS. What I can speak to on TMDSAS is that, as it stands, looking at your potential MCAT alone gives you a 32% chance of admission. Looking at your GPA alone gives you a 23% chance of admission.