Seeking Genuine Advice for struggling Sophomore!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BGator21

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’ll try to make this as short and simple as possible! I’ve struggled with classes since I’ve started undergrad at UF (currently in my 2nd year here majoring Biology but planning to change to Psych and minor in Health Disparities) which has mostly been due to poor mental health, but without too much detail I’ve now taken measures to better myself moving forward (I know how important mental health maintenance will be especially later down the medical path).

I feel that my grades are very mediocre and that I haven’t done nearly enough extracurriculars for how far along I am. I’m writing this post though because I want to be a psychiatrist more than anything so I’m really hoping it’s not too late or that I won’t have to take too many gap years in order to get a shot at med school.

Here are just some things I feel might be pros/cons and relevant information, I’d rather give too much info than too little!
Theses are my grades for the main math/science courses + my overall GPA that specific semester (there's many electives and degree required classes not included, I almost always get A's in those):

I began college spending 2 years @ community college for an AA which replaced my last 2 yrs of high school:

2014 Fall: Biology 1 (A) + College Algebra (A) = Overall 4.0 GPA
2014 Spring: Biology 2 (B) = Overall 3.6 GPA
2015 F: A&P 1 (A) + Pre-calc (B) = Overall 3.53
2015 S: A&P 2 (A) + Trig (A) = Overall 3.53
Also, earned AP psychology credit
Sumer 2016: Awarded AA

Though I’ve only needed 2 more years to earn a bachelors, I’ve chosen to stay at UF for all 4 years (I’ve been told to not rush in order to shown more competitiveness). My transcript currently shows me as a 4th year student, not sure if this changes anything for better/worse.

Now since I’ve been at UF:

2016 Summer: Intro to Chem (B+) and Stats 1 (B+) = Overall 3.33 GPA

2016 Fall: Chem 1 (B+) + Sociology (A) + Calc 1 (Withdrew) = Overall 3.74GPA

2017 Spring: Chem 2 (B-) + Calc 1 retake (B-) = Overall 3.33 GPA

2017 Fall: Orgo 1 (C) + Behavioral Neuroscience (B-) + Stats 2 (B) = Overall GPA 2.93

Extracirricular:

These aren’t all exact measures/hours, I still need to take the time to compile everything. This is definitely a huge weakness for me, however, this semester I do plan on seeking/starting research, shadowing, more volunteering (clinical and other), internships, etc.
  • Volunteered at local hospital over the summer (Only 3 hrs/week for ~2 months)
  • Volunteering through pre-med AMSA club working w/ kids (3hrs/week when college was in session for 3 semesters)
  • Many special events with pre-med AMSA club (helping with 5K’s, small volunteer/fundraising opportunities)
  • No research or shadowing…yet
  • No leadership (will be applying for pre-med AMSA director next Fall)
  • Good standing in pre-med AMSA club all semesters at UF
I understand this looks like a downward trend, which is what I’m most afraid of but I’m more than willing and capable of going above and beyond to turn it around to make it upward especially if its not “too late”. This spring I’m taking Orgo 2 and Physics 1, I know I have a good shot at getting A’s with my newfound methods.

Basically, I want to know how possible it would be for me to still be accepted into a U.S. medical school given I take the advice you all give me and I do everything “perfect” from here on out? I feel like I still have a chance, just not confident at all.

I seriously appreciate the time you’ve taken to look over my post, please be easy on me I’m only seeking genuine advice to enhance my chances of being accepted. I'd be happy to further clarify anything!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you set this mental health plan under the advice of an actual mental health professional? If not, go get one. And don’t take another class until you are set

Stop the extracurricular stuff until you are getting As again. Not planning on As, not As on your first quiz. Getting As on the transcript

Mental health>grades > everything

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you set this mental health plan under the advice of an actual mental health professional? If not, go get one. And don’t take another class until you are set

Stop the extracurricular stuff until you are getting As again. Not planning on As, not As on your first quiz. Getting As on the transcript

Mental health>grades > everything

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! Yes I have a very comprehensive mental health plan now. Im now seeing 2 mental health professionals that have already been very beneficial since last semester, I’m attending counseling and recieving medication to help keep me balanced. It’s definitely my #1 focus moving forward though, you’re right for sure it has a huge impact on just about everything.
Do you think any more time putting off extracurriculars would hurt my chances? That would be my only concern cause I already feel behind but I could be wrong if it’s more worth it to focus on grades (assuming it would be too difficult managing both simultaneously; I feel like I have it in me but I don’t want to be overconfident when I haven’t really started the semester yet).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! Yes I have a very comprehensive mental health plan now. Im now seeing 2 mental health professionals that have already been very beneficial since last semester, I’m attending counseling and recieving medication to help keep me balanced. It’s definitely my #1 focus moving forward though, you’re right for sure it has a huge impact on just about everything.
Do you think any more time putting off extracurriculars would hurt my chances? That would be my only concern cause I already feel behind but I could be wrong if it’s more worth it to focus on grades (assuming it would be too difficult managing both simultaneously; I feel like I have it in me but I don’t want to be overconfident when I haven’t really started the semester yet).

Do you think any more time putting off extracurriculars would hurt my chances? That would be my only concern cause I already feel behind but I could be wrong if it’s more worth it to focus on grades (assuming it would be too difficult managing both simultaneously; I feel like I have it in me but I don’t want to be overconfident when I haven’t really started the semester yet).
[/QUOTE]
Ecs don’t mean a thing if your grades aren’t right

Reactions: 1 user