seems just about anyone can get into medical school these days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, truth be told, I'd wager that most of the American kiddies going into Carribean medschools had giant problems during Undergrad.

I'm applying to US Medschools right now & I'm quite realistic about my chances 'cus I was one of those people who don't have any excuses about my GPA. I have a 2.7 GPA to show for it. On top of all that, I started out with a 4.0 GPA in undergrad & took a giant nose-dive in junior & senior year. My July MCAT was a 35. & things only get worse for me 'cus I'm an F1 student in US (that's international student for all you lucky people who've never had to deal with this unfortunateness).

Every Dean or Advisor I've spoken to just wants to know why the hell I screwed up as bad as I did during undergrad. I'm labelled as smart but lazy & I can't think of any worse impression you could give to a Dean of a medschool. But I don't think I should have to pay for the rest of my life for mistakes I made when I was 21.

Another girl I know from my country who finished USMLE this year (FMG), ranked at the very top of the USMLE list. It didn't matter that she graduated from a two-bit medschool in some Indian-subcontinent country. Fact is, she got her act together well enough to beat down all your top-20 school compadres when it came down to the one thing that can level students out in residencies. She's doing her residency in Ob/Gyn right now.

I'm smart enough to handle medschool & I sure as hell can't think of ANYTHING else I'd rather do over practicing medicine. I think I deserve a second chance & Caribbean schools will give it to me. If I have to lock myself into a room for 5months to get a knock-out USMLE, to prove myself, so be it.

Doesn't this sort of drivel belong in the pre-allo excuse fest? Anyone feel sorry for him or want to cut him some slack because he's "smart but lazy"? Me neither. Likewise, we're not quite sure what "ranking at the very top of the USMLE list" is exactly (I didn't realize there was a list), nor would anyone give credence to your (again, n=1 anecdote) from a second-hand, anonymous source.

But let's say we did. The discussion at hand is not about whether IMG's (foreigners trained in their country of origin) should be allowed to practice in the U.S. if they satisfy confirmation of the equivalency of their training, but rather whether U.S. citizens who couldn't get admission based on the standards of their country of origin should be on an even playing field with those students who could and did and were trained in the accredited, licensed U.S. allopathic model our post-graduate medical training (residency) looks for.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you, if they prove that they have the skills and the programs want them, great, come on back.

My issue with what you (and others) have written, is this notion that people who attend the Carib schools are just as good as US students, that they ended up there because of personal choice or some sort of random screwing by the admissions process. Not so (obviously), and I just wanted to call b*llsh*t.

Look, I'm not too far out on a limb when I say that most Caribbean students would have gone to U.S. schools if they had gotten in. And the reason that most did not get in is that they aren't as good as the people who did.

I know that SDN is all about making everyone feel special, but let's be honest. American students don't move to small islands in the middle of nowhere, pay outraegous tuition, and suffer from bias in the match, unless they have to. This is the truth. Don't be scared of it.

Gotcha...in the heat of your previous post I misunderstood what your main gripe was. I totally agree with you in this case. I know of several people that totally screwed up their MCAT, lied about getting into US allo schools and said that they went to the Carribean schools because they "chose" to (which is a bunch of BS). You are right... nobody goes to the Carribean if they can stay in the US and I apologize if for some reason I alluded to the contrary. My point about some (not all) being as good as US students was just to point out that not all of these grads are incompetant "losers" that amerherstguy describes. Some may be there because of the "crapshoot", bad GPAs/MCAT or both from exceptional circumstances (not all from laziness and being imbiciles). Noneotherless, regardless of why they are there, as long as they come back competant and on par with US grads in USMLE scores, I think they should have rights to practice just like US grads. I posted just to counter Amherstguy's point that FMG's/IMG's in general should not be allowed to practice here.

My issue with what you (and others) have written, is this notion that people who attend the Carib schools are just as good as US students, that they ended up there because of personal choice or some sort of random screwing by the admissions process. Not so (obviously), and I just wanted to call b*llsh*t.

I would agree with you completely if U.S. programs got rid of the preferential considerations for a whole host of reasons (state of residence, legacies,
undergraduate/graduate - tie ins, etc.), and just ranked people by merit and took the best candidates.

Well over half of the people I know who has gained admittance to a US programs have received some type of preferential consideration, and almost every US program has categories of students who are given preferential consideration.

If you have concerns about quality issues, like students who go to the Caribbean, then you should be equality concerned about students who go to US programs; and who have below average stats and where given preferential consideration? Yes?

I actually not against the current system, I'm just pointing out that if you are concerned about students with lower stats, you dont have to go the Caribbean to find students to bash. You can usually start with your own program.

Look, I'm not too far out on a limb when I say that most Caribbean students would have gone to U.S. schools if they had gotten in. And the reason that most did not get in is that they aren't as good as the people who did

Yes, I would have gone to a U.S. program if I could have, but I can say that my experience so far has been great. Do I believe that US medical students are somehow intrinsically better than me? - I am sorry to say this, but NO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't this sort of drivel belong in the pre-allo excuse fest? Anyone feel sorry for him or want to cut him some slack because he's "smart but lazy"? Me neither. Likewise, we're not quite sure what "ranking at the very top of the USMLE list" is exactly (I didn't realize there was a list), nor would anyone give credence to your (again, n=1 anecdote) from a second-hand, anonymous source.

But let's say we did. The discussion at hand is not about whether IMG's (foreigners trained in their country of origin) should be allowed to practice in the U.S. if they satisfy confirmation of the equivalency of their training, but rather whether U.S. citizens who couldn't get admission based on the standards of their country of origin should be on an even playing field with those students who could and did and were trained in the accredited, licensed U.S. allopathic model our post-graduate medical training (residency) looks for.

First off, I'm a GIRL!! [:)] Secondly, when I mentioned my friend, I meant she scored in the 99%ile on USMLE.

I must've been really unclear if you think I'm asking for sympathy. I made my bed, now lay in it & all that loveliness, right? I know I've created a terrible up-hill situation for myself, but past is beyond me & all I can do is worry about the future.

But, I can argue for the fact that there are people like me who REALLY want to go to Medschool & who've screwed up in the past. It doesn't automatically mean we're dregs of the Earth 'cus we momentarily
lost our focus & dropped the proverbial African baby.

As for posting in this forum, I didn't realize that this was a medstudent-only forum, especially on a topic that seems to be mostly opinion-based anyway. I think I'm allowed to have my opinion, & express it, even if I am that "smart but lazy" idiot trying to apply to medschool with my 2.7 GPA [:D] Also, I would've posted on pre-allo but this thread wasn't on there... :(

So all that shlub meant: I'm not asking for sympathy. I AM pointing out that a lot of people out there are not paragons of virtue & have made mistakes. It doesn't make us any less capable of handling medschool - especially if we can pin-point exactly what went wrong & try to correct the problem. I don't see how it makes much of a difference whether someone chooses to apply to Caribbean schools (in my case 'cus I want to save some time instead of waiting the couple of years it'd take for me to fix up my GPA) as long as they come out of the medschool experience competent.

Well over half of the people I know who has gained admittance to a US programs have received some type of preferential consideration, and almost every US program has categories of students who are given preferential consideration.

What a gross over-generalization. You can't just make stuff up and expect everyone to believe it.

I actually not against the current system, I'm just pointing out that if you are concerned about students with lower stats, you dont have to go the Caribbean to find students to bash. You can usually start with your own program.

I'm not concerned about lower stats. I'm concerned about crappy doctors and non-US grads (ie - real IMGs, not the accredited carib schools) getting into US residencies. The residency programs seem to do a pretty good job of limiting the crap they take. I like the current system. See below for more.

Yes, I would have gone to a U.S. program if I could have, but I can say that my experience so far has been great. Do I believe that US medical students are somehow intrinsically better than me? - I am sorry to say this, but NO.

I don't know what "intrinsically better" means, but I think it's a fair assumption that U.S. students are more academically qualified than you, until you prove otherwise. That's the assumption the residency programs make, and it's a fair one.

First off, I'm a GIRL!! [:)] Secondly, when I mentioned my friend, I meant she scored in the 99%ile on USMLE.

I must've been really unclear if you think I'm asking for sympathy. I made my bed, now lay in it & all that loveliness, right? I know I've created a terrible up-hill situation for myself, but past is beyond me & all I can do is worry about the future.

But, I can argue for the fact that there are people like me who REALLY want to go to Medschool & who've screwed up in the past. It doesn't automatically mean we're dregs of the Earth 'cus we momentarily

As for posting in this forum, I didn't realize that this was a medstudent-only forum, especially on a topic that seems to be mostly opinion-based anyway. I think I'm allowed to have my opinion, & express it, even if I am that "smart but lazy" idiot trying to apply to medschool with my 2.7 GPA [:D] Also, I would've posted on pre-allo but this thread wasn't on there... :(

So all that shlub meant: I'm not asking for sympathy. I AM pointing out that a lot of people out there are not paragons of virtue & have made mistakes. It doesn't make us any less capable of handling medschool - especially if we can pin-point exactly what went wrong & try to correct the problem. I don't see how it makes much of a difference whether someone chooses to apply to Caribbean schools (in my case 'cus I want to save some time instead of waiting the couple of years it'd take for me to fix up my GPA) as long as they come out of the medschool experience competent.

We should probably start basing medical school admissions on how capable of handling medical school applicants think they are (maybe on a scale of 1-10).

What a gross over-generalization. You can't just make stuff up and expect everyone to believe it.

Yes, I haven't read any other gross over-generalizations in this thread. :laugh::laugh:

I'm not concerned about lower stats. I'm concerned about crappy doctors and non-US grads (ie - real IMGs, not the accredited carib schools) getting into US residencies. The residency programs seem to do a pretty good job of limiting the crap they take. I like the current system. See below for more. .

If you are concerned about inferior doctors, then raising the standards to be licensed should take care of this problem. I do agree with you that residency programs generally do a good job of selecting docs., and I like the current system too. But I DO NOT believe the solution is to say the US should stop or reduce Docs educated outside of the states, which is what the OP had in mind. That will just reduce the competition.

I don't know what "intrinsically better" means, but I think it's a fair assumption that U.S. students are more academically qualified than you, until you prove otherwise. That's the assumption the residency programs make, and it's a fair one.

"Better"; since quite a few posters have used this word to make them feel good about themselves, I used it too in a sarcastic way. I know I have an uphill battle, but as far as my being academically qualified, well, I have no doubts. I also am confident that I will get into a strong residency program. Why? Because, I, like you, believe that most of the programs do a good job in their selection process.

We should probably start basing medical school admissions on how capable of handling medical school applicants think they are (maybe on a scale of 1-10).

Noone on this thread would get below a 10.

Noone on this thread would get below a 10.

Wait, so your contention is that my 1-10 assessment scale is in some way....I hate to even suggest it.....inadequate? Okay, then we'll add a second criterion: ability to spell >80% of words correctly per sentence.

That "noone" is going to cost you.

You might be going to a top 20 school, whatever that means, but there is always someone who is going to be superior to you (i.e. Harvard, Hopkins) that will be wondering how you got into medical school. Don't walk along that road buddy.

Just because you are studying in the US doesn't mean that you are going to be a superior doc. All that studying in the US means is that you are going to spend a lot more for your education and learn the same stuff that IMGs learn.

things only get worse for me 'cus I'm an F1 student in US (that's international student for all you lucky people who've never had to deal with this unfortunateness).

eh...lucky? H4 right here and by no means lucky.

carrib student, you said you got into a med school here in the US? which one did you get into?

I know how you feel. I was labeled "handsome but lazy". Bum rap man . . . er, woman.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, so your contention is that my 1-10 assessment scale is in some way....I hate to even suggest it.....inadequate? Okay, then we'll add a second criterion: ability to spell >80% of words correctly per sentence.

Isn't that the word they used to try to make the dude in Caddyshack miss his putt at the end? Or is it a "nooner" on an even more brief time period?

Isn't that the word they used to try to make the dude in Caddyshack miss his putt at the end? Or is it a "nooner" on an even more brief time period?

You're thinking of "Noonan", which was Danny's last name.

...ouch, thanks to this blunder, it looks like we're gonna have to rescind that acceptance you were granted back in...whatever paleolithic year it was you started medical school. But good luck applying DO!

I know how you feel. I was labeled "handsome but lazy". Bum rap man . . . er, woman.
I had an ex call me "ugly and stupid". I think I replied with some sort of hair-related insult. No good.

I had an ex call me "ugly and stupid". I think I replied with some sort of hair-related insult. No good.

I'm just glad that quote was prefaced with "an ex" instead of "my girlfriend" or something.

If you'll excuse me for poking fun at your ex-gf, that "ugly and stupid" just conjures images of some ditz [if sorority stereotypes are your thing, insert them here] running up to you, all pissed off-like, going, "waaaa, you're ugly and stupid! And you're a poopoo head, and a meanieface, and.... uuuhggg-leeee!"

/stomps off righteously

Sorry, I have a biochem exam tomorrow and am trying to amuse myself. :laugh:

Yes, for spelling, I would fail that one.

I'm just glad that quote was prefaced with "an ex" instead of "my girlfriend" or something.

If you'll excuse me for poking fun at your ex-gf, that "ugly and stupid" just conjures images of some ditz [if sorority stereotypes are your thing, insert them here] running up to you, all pissed off-like, going, "waaaa, you're ugly and stupid! And you're a poopoo head, and a meanieface, and.... uuuhggg-leeee!"

/stomps off righteously

Sorry, I have a biochem exam tomorrow and am trying to amuse myself. :laugh:
You don't have to excuse yourself to poke fun at anybody that calls me "ugly and stupid", no matter how correct they may be. Oh, and I was bored and actually just made that last post up.

Sorry. I should be going over Histo but I just...can't...do it

You're thinking of "Noonan", which was Danny's last name.

I know, but I thought it was still funny that I thought of that.

...ouch, thanks to this blunder, it looks like we're gonna have to rescind that acceptance you were granted back in...whatever paleolithic year it was you started medical school. But good luck applying DO!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I took my MCAT by carving out the answers in a piece of granite . . . in 2001. It does feel a little like that since I took the paper test and now it is on this new invention called a "computer".

That is so weird! Most of my exes think I am ugly, stupid and an a**hole!

You don't have to excuse yourself to poke fun at anybody that calls me "ugly and stupid", no matter how correct they may be. Oh, and I was bored and actually just made that last post up.

Sorry. I should be going over Histo but I just...can't...do it

Uh . . . yeah . . . made mine up too . . . nobody thinks those things about me . . . heh heh . . . :oops:

That is so weird! Most of my exes think I am ugly, stupid and an a**hole!
Well my wife has informed me on multiple occasions that I am handsome and an a**hole. Oh well, at least I can be nice if I want to. Probably...

I know, but I thought it was still funny that I thought of that.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I took my MCAT by carving out the answers in a piece of granite . . . in 2001. It does feel a little like that since I took the paper test and now it is on this new invention called a "computer".

Not sure what you mean by "computer".

Frankly, it sounds made-up.

If it makes you feel any better, I took the MCAT in the previous century/millennium - in 1999! :eek:

Jesus, who proctored it, Hippocrates?!

Good Lord, man, he's not that old!

...Galen was the proctor. Bastard showed up late, claimed he was held up doing cataract surgery. Totally unprofessional.

:laugh:

All I remember was the room was cold, and my eraser was terrible. One of those "india rubber" ones that don't erase cleanly.

Damn Scantron! Curses!

Is Scantron your imaginary pet robot?

if you want to work in grenada or antigua or cayman islands or whatever, go to medical school there. if you want to work in the US- go to medical school here. what is so hard about that concept to understand?

Well if you wanted to do that, then you would go to University of West Indies, which is not accessible to Americans.

To the OP, I hope you just started med school because I really hope you get off of your high horse. I'm an MS III from SGU who's class just wen't through the latest Step I cycle, and I assure you that plenty of people in our class were pulling 240s and 250s. Like many of my classmates, we were competitive applicants for American schools. I was waitlisted at three US MD schools and accepted at two DO schools. For whatever reason I didn't get those WLs into acceptances, and didn't want to be a DO.

My point is that during Basic Sciences, everybody learns the same junk because everybody is preparing for the same exam. I used cadavers, the same books, and everything as my US friends were doing. Their only luxury was not having to make a life in a foreign country. Your "top 20 school" won't mean anything if you screw up on your Step I and don't learn the basics of physical examination and caring about a patient. In the end, everybody studying medicine goes through the same struggles to reach the same goal, so why are you so preoccupied with knocking your peers?

Yes, theres plenty of subpar schools in the Caribbean, and I would always recommend a US school over the Caribbean, but it seems that so many US med students form negative opinions about Caribbean students out of ignorance.

Well if you wanted to do that, then you would go to University of West Indies, which is not accessible to Americans.

To the OP, I hope you just started med school because I really hope you get off of your high horse. I'm an MS III from SGU who's class just wen't through the latest Step I cycle, and I assure you that plenty of people in our class were pulling 240s and 250s. Like many of my classmates, we were competitive applicants for American schools. I was waitlisted at three US MD schools and accepted at two DO schools. For whatever reason I didn't get those WLs into acceptances, and didn't want to be a DO.

My point is that during Basic Sciences, everybody learns the same junk because everybody is preparing for the same exam. I used cadavers, the same books, and everything as my US friends were doing. Their only luxury was not having to make a life in a foreign country. Your "top 20 school" won't mean anything if you screw up on your Step I and don't learn the basics of physical examination and caring about a patient. In the end, everybody studying medicine goes through the same struggles to reach the same goal, so why are you so preoccupied with knocking your peers?

Yes, theres plenty of subpar schools in the Caribbean, and I would always recommend a US school over the Caribbean, but it seems that so many US med students form negative opinions about Caribbean students out of ignorance.

Curious... why would you apply to multiple DO schools if you didn't want to be a DO? Seems like a tremendous waste of energy and money.

Maybe he/she just changed his/her mind in the long process...

If it makes you feel any better, I took the MCAT in the previous century/millennium - in 1999! :eek:

I was just out of high school. I was more proficient at filling my pores with acne than filling in bubbles with a good ol' number 2.

I was just out of high school. I was more proficient at filling my pores with acne than filling in bubbles with a good ol' number 2.

At least you weren't unfortunate enough to be emptying your bowels with some good ol' number 2 into diapers at that age.

This is peripherally related to the whole Caribbean MD/ US MD discussion going on in here. I started a thread about this in the Caribbean forum.

http://health.uchc.edu/clinicalservi...care/index.htm

http://health.usf.edu/medicine/inter...lty/perron.htm

http://www.rwjuh.edu/physicians/physician_profile.aspx?

http://www.rwjuh.edu/physicians/phys...ysicianid=2165

http://www.osfholyfamily.org/phydir.html

I never knew Dominica, West Indies was actually a county in New York state. Am I the only one who thinks these frauds should be reprimanded? If you are an IMG, you should not be listed as an AMG, which is effectively what these doctors/their hospitals are doing. I know nothing of the legality of this, but I'd assume it is illegal.

I couldn't tell you where they fit in the hierarchy, but I think it is undeniable that if you plan to practice in the US, you hit the fewest hurdles and have the easiest time getting your dream residency if you go to school in the US.

I doubt a israeli-trained physician would have ANY trouble in the US. Israel's institutions of higher learning are almost all excellent.

Curious... why would you apply to multiple DO schools if you didn't want to be a DO? Seems like a tremendous waste of energy and money.

Because I changed my mind in the process and decided that I didn't want to go the DO route. Not knocking those that do, I just didn't feel a fit in there.

This is peripherally related to the whole Caribbean MD/ US MD discussion going on in here. I started a thread about this in the Caribbean forum.

http://health.uchc.edu/clinicalservi...care/index.htm

http://health.usf.edu/medicine/inter...lty/perron.htm

http://www.rwjuh.edu/physicians/physician_profile.aspx?

http://www.rwjuh.edu/physicians/phys...ysicianid=2165

http://www.osfholyfamily.org/phydir.html

I never knew Dominica, West Indies was actually a county in New York state. Am I the only one who thinks these frauds should be reprimanded? If you are an IMG, you should not be listed as an AMG, which is effectively what these doctors/their hospitals are doing. I know nothing of the legality of this, but I'd assume it is illegal.

If not illegal, then highly improper. Any misrepresentation/distortion of qualifications, whether it be by a US grad or an IMG, should not be tolerated.

A number of students apply to DO, US MD, and Carib MD programs, and then decide later depending on where they get accepted. It's not that unusual.

A number of students apply to DO, US MD, and Carib MD programs, and then decide later depending on where they get accepted. It's not that unusual.

Well, you're right about the first two.

They apply to DO and carib schools on their first application cycle? I doubt that. Of course, I speak from somewhat limited experience only knowing people who applied US MD first time and might try DO or carib 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etcetera year trying. Maybe this is more common when they know they won't be competitive for US MD?

i am frustrated. i am a us medical student attending a top 20 school. all i seem to hear about is the hundreds of kids that go to caribbean school and even abroad to eastern europe to get their md's. they go to places and islands i have never even heard of, then take their usmle's and are able to practice medicine in the states. some students are going right to the caribbean from high school. medicine is a profession of respect, integrity, and standards. if all these students are getting into school abroad, some without even interviews, doesn't this bring the standard of medicine practiced in the US down?? 20 MCAT 3.0 GPA; does this sound like someone you would want to be treated by?? is there any real benefit to even going to a US med school?? in the end the carib grads get jobs- make money, do whatever?? i just dont think the system is fair in rewarding US students who have worked hard to get into US schools. yeah there is a shortage of docs here esspecially pcps, but all the foreign docs dont go to the places there are shortages in, and opt not to even practice pcp fields; instead just oversaturate the cities and residencies. this is just bull ****. appreciate feedback and sorry for the rant.

Oh no you didn't! HAHAHAHHA! I go to a Caribbean school and ventured over here to SDN from value MD... Anyways, I have a 32 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA... For some reason I couldn't kiss enough *** to get accepted into the states.... Anyways... It all comes down to the USMLE... THere are people from the Caribbean that work harder than U.S. med students and end up in a top specialty... Is this fair? Of course!!! The people with the best scores/knowledge are the ones to get the job... It's like a job interview... Would you rather have a 265 USMLE Caribbean student working on you or a 180 U.S. student working on you? The USMLE evens everything out, and gives everyone an equal playing field. By the way, alot of Carib students go into Family Practice because they don't bust it enough to score high on the boards... And for the part about us Carib students practicing on you folks, alot of our schools have just the same resources as you guys... Some of my current professors are from schools like Johns Hopkins school of medicine, the university of Baltimore school of medicine, and university of chicago school of medicine, with good clincial professors from other areas of the world such as Austrailia and Europe....Some of these professors even are famous for their contributions to science/medicine... Let's hear the flame...

i am frustrated. i am a us medical student attending a top 20 school. all i seem to hear about is the hundreds of kids that go to caribbean school and even abroad to eastern europe to get their md's. they go to places and islands i have never even heard of, then take their usmle's and are able to practice medicine in the states. some students are going right to the caribbean from high school. medicine is a profession of respect, integrity, and standards. if all these students are getting into school abroad, some without even interviews, doesn't this bring the standard of medicine practiced in the US down?? 20 MCAT 3.0 GPA; does this sound like someone you would want to be treated by?? is there any real benefit to even going to a US med school?? in the end the carib grads get jobs- make money, do whatever?? i just dont think the system is fair in rewarding US students who have worked hard to get into US schools. yeah there is a shortage of docs here esspecially pcps, but all the foreign docs dont go to the places there are shortages in, and opt not to even practice pcp fields; instead just oversaturate the cities and residencies. this is just bull ****. appreciate feedback and sorry for the rant.

Just one more thing...

Why don't you just worry about getting yourself through med school and stop ranting and raving about the achievments of others...Whoever passes the boards has what it takes to be a good doctor... Forget about the past and look at the current...Your reward will come when you have a preferenced "easy" spot in residency...

Status
Not open for further replies.