Self-teaching sociology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackSquirrelMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm planning on taking the MCAT at the end of this summer. The only pre-reqs I have left are Organic II (taking in the spring), Biochem I (taking in a summer intersession), and Sociology. I wanted to take Sociology online during the spring, but the class filled up before I could register and I was shut out. I tried unsuccessfully to get an extra seat opened for me.

Does anyone know of any good resources (Khan Academy, books, etc.) that I can use to teach myself the introductory sociology that will be on the MCAT? Ideally, I'd also be able to take a CBE exam using what I learn, but I'll settle for just getting the MCAT stuff down at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Use any of the test prep companies' books, e.g. Kaplan, TPR, etc., and supplement with Khan Academy videos and practice passages. You will have to know definitions for the exam but a lot of it is also reasoning from data.

Use any of the test prep companies' books, e.g. Kaplan, TPR, etc., and supplement with Khan Academy videos and practice passages. You will have to know definitions for the exam but a lot of it is also reasoning from data.
Would you say the social sciences are do-able from scratch? I have had no formal classes in these disciplines and want to know if its realistic to be ready by June. I have little else but the MCAT to worry about aside from a 10-15 hour/week job.

Would you say the social sciences are do-able from scratch? I have had no formal classes in these disciplines and want to know if its realistic to be ready by June. I have little else but the MCAT to worry about aside from a 10-15 hour/week job.

I can't tell you if you can do them from scratch, but I can say that out of all of the MCAT sections, it's the easiest to do P/S from scratch. Whether you can do it is up to you and how well you can learn and retain information that you haven't been taught in a classroom setting.