Semi Non-Traditional Applicant Need Advice/Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HerbalMedicine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 22 year old recent UC graduate with an engineering degree. I had strong intentions of attending medical school as an undergraduate, but stuck to the engineering route as I wasn't sure if I'd make it or was willing to commit to so many years of school. I'm now working in biotech/pharmaceuticals in an R&D setting and am not sure if this is for me. I decided dental school would be a good compromise between being involved in healthcare and not having to spend countless hours study/training to be an MD. Here's a summary of my relevant background points

BS in Chemical Engineering from UC Davis
3.4 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA
1 year of undergraduate research in food science & tech
2 years undergraduate research in chem e & matsci
3 years of on campus tutoring general & organic chemistry
Officer for AIChE (chemE club)
Officer for EJC (Engineering Joint Council)
Officer for GK (International Honor Society)
Member of Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honor Society)
Volunteer for UCD Medical Center ER, 80 hours
Volunteer for UCD Medical Center Orthopaedics Clinic, 20 hours

Working in R&D Setting for downstream process optimization for - 8 months (since June 2013 graduation)
Private Tutor (mainly math) at home on on weeknights/weekends

Relevant coursework:
All general core sciences (bio, chem, math, physics, organic chem) w/ lab
2 quarters biochemistry (6 units)
2 quarters English (8 units)

Publications:
1 Manuscript from undergraduate (In review process for publication)
2 Papers expected from my work at my biotech company

I want to apply for this year's upcoming application cycle. I haven't taken the DATs yet, but I'm confident I'll do well (aiming for at least 20) as I've breezed through my science courses (3.55 sGPA is mainly from Bs in biochem and some upper division engineering courses counted).

I'm clearly missing some dental shadowing/volunteering, though that shouldn't be a problem if I just search for some experience.

Any advice or things I can work to keep me on track or to strengthen my application?
Given my stats, what are the chances I have to gaining acceptance to at least 1 school? Around how many schools do pre-dents apply for?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
make sure that all your LORs write about you wanting to be a DENTIST and that you wanted to be that and only that

I don't get a the pre-dent vibe from your stats mainly cause of all the engineering ECs, just make sure you can make it work for the dental profession

I decided dental school would be a good compromise between being involved in healthcare and not having to spend countless hours study/training to be an MD.

Though you may not have to do a residency if you decide to jump straight into private practice, keep in mind that you will still be spending countless hours studying and training to become a dentist..

Your GPA should be fine. Make sure you do well on DAT. And you need to demonstrate a commitment to the profession. You should gain some meaningful dental related experiences before you apply. I am not sure that four months of shadowing would be sufficient. However, assuming that you do well on the DAT and that you get some solid dental experiences, you should be fine when you apply to dental school. Before you do that, make sure the career is a good fit for you

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks good. Don't worry about not having many dental-related ECs; I only had one, the rest of mine were in biotech/engineering. However, don't make the decision to take the DAT or apply until you've shadowed for a bit (50-100 hours is usually good), make sure you know what you're getting into!

Reactions: 1 user
make sure that all your LORs write about you wanting to be a DENTIST and that you wanted to be that and only that

Thanks for this advice, as this is something I never would have considered. I plan to ask for a LOR from my boss at work. Though I believe he will speak greatly about my technical skills in science/engineering and in research, he can't saying anything about my desire to be a dentist. If this is the case, will this LOR add any value to my application?

I don't get a the pre-dent vibe from your stats mainly cause of all the engineering ECs, just make sure you can make it work for the dental profession

Seeing as how I was never pre-dent, it didn't really make sense to pursue dental related experience. I did however, pursue engineering related experience since I was an engineer major.. I hope I can make up for this by shadowing/volunteering until this cycle.

Are there any additional classes I should take? I know some schools require additional courses, but I don't have all the time in the world seeing as how I want to apply this cycle. Also if I do decide to take courses, is it okay to take them at a JC? From my understanding in medicine, it is not good to take prereqs at a JC.

yes you can, take Anatomy/Microbio/Biochem/Physiology
preferably with labs

if you have limited time, I would say take anatomy as some schools require it
as an engineering major did you take stats?

even psych based stats will work for this requirement.

yes you can, take Anatomy/Microbio/Biochem/Physiology
preferably with labs

if you have limited time, I would say take anatomy as some schools require it
as an engineering major did you take stats?

even psych based stats will work for this requirement.

Yes, even though it was not part of the engineering cirriculum, I took introductory stats as I felt it was useful in general.
Can you comment on whether or not it's acceptable to take anatomy/micro/physio at a JC?

Yes, even though it was not part of the engineering cirriculum, I took introductory stats as I felt it was useful in general.
Can you comment on whether or not it's acceptable to take anatomy/micro/physio at a JC?

if you look around here, some folks are SCRAMBLING to find anatomy courses as they applied to d schools and realized their physiology or mammalian physiology won't work for the requirement

and many of them are even doing ONLINE courses. From a JC it is definitely acceptable, however I know of some people who are even doing it online and just got approval with their school if it was ok.

Just make sure you do a lab with it.