Seton Hall Opening?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Isn't BU Franciscan?

No..

You're thinking of BC...Jesuit, no med.

Currently the only Catholic med MD schools are: G'town, Loyola Chicago, SLU, and Creighton....all Jesuit. At one time, Marquette had a med, but it's been private MCW for awhile.

There may be some DO, but I don't know about those.

What is UIW? Edit...university of the Incarnate Word....that would be Catholic, but must be a DO??? I had never heard of MU COM, but I see now it's the first Catholic DO school in the US (or maybe anywhere).

Tulane may sit in a Catholic world, but it's not. If anything, Loyola New Orleans, would be the place for a catholic med in NOLA

Hmmmm....I wonder if LMU would consider opening a MD school?.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The median GPAs of all the newest FL MD (FIU, FAU, UCF) schools are ~3.9. That would give you some idea.

On MSAR they are all around 3.7ish, which is around the US average for a student matriculating into an MD program right? Or maybe I'm missing something.

Of course NSU-COM MD medians would be higher though. It seems like MD schools attract applicants with higher stats, so there would be more competition.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

On MSAR they are all around 3.7ish, which is around the US average for a student matriculating into an MD program right? Or maybe I'm missing something.

Of course NSU-COM MD medians would be higher though. It seems like MD schools attract applicants with higher stats, so there would be more competition.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Wow!....they've declined!

I suspect that the new Nova MD schools would be close to the median, maybe a little lower, as people are normally hesitant about a new school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could you elaborate? Does it just not have the resources of the others which are associated with major health systems (edit: I was mostly thinking Kaiser Permanente on this one but they're not a candidate yet) or existing research universities? Their website seems less informative than the others'.

CUSM (or CalMed) is another for-profit "warehouse in the commercial district" attempt at a medical school. Its dean is this guy, who also happens to be this guy.

Caveat emptor.

Reactions: 1 user
CUSM (or CalMed) is another for-profit "warehouse in the commercial district" attempt at a medical school. Its dean is this guy, who also happens to be this guy.

Caveat emptor.
The website says it was founded with the intent to become a private non-profit medical school, although it's a bit fuzzy on whether or not it's actually a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit currently. Either way a lot of red flags.

Reactions: 2 users
The website says it was founded with the intent to become a private non-profit medical school, although it's a bit fuzzy on whether or not it's actually a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit currently. Either way a lot of red flags.

I spoke too soon, it does seem to be non-profit. That should help them with accreditation. Who knows, if they have space, faculty, enough $$$ in the bank, and a reasonable MOU with Arrowhead, they just might squeak through. I suspect it will be touch and go. Some of the news releases mention $40 million in starting funds, which is a pretty shoestring budget. They also say the class size is planned to go from 60 to 120 in three years, which is typical of the tuition-driven model that the LCME hates nowadays.

Reactions: 2 users
What are the opininos on the 3+1 curriculum, when you take the step 1 and 2 during third year? I'm not sure how I feel about this...What is the rationale and studies behind possible success for doing this?

SHU was supposed to open in 2017, then they pushed it back to 2018, now they're likely going to push it back even further at least that's what I've been told

Who told you about it? They are now under candidate status too so what do you think now?

I'd like to know as well, their website doesnt mention anything other than they will update the website if anything happens. even if they did start accepting for this year would it even be through amcas?

I'm sure that all LCME processes take a very long time. I'm not sure how late into this cycle they will start being able to accept apps, but I wouldn't hold your breath if this school is your top choice. I have a feeling that they may open up to apps in next year's cycle. but idk historically how late schools can open mid-cycle

Whats the class size? submited my amcas LM 71-72. 30% reduction is nice