Seton Hall Opening?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goilers

Yeet
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Seton Hall's Med school to be?

I've heard 2018,so would that make their first application acceptances start this upcoming cycle, or acceptances starting in 2018?

Just curious because it seems like a cool opportunity, in a unique area. I've tried to search both forums and google without real substance, so was hoping for some new knowledge or insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Hasn't really been any updates. I scribe at the hospital the school is going to be associated with (Hackensack) and none of the physicians I've asked have any idea when it's opening. But I've seen that the inaugural class is going to be 2018 online as well, so I guess that would mean they'd be in the upcoming cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if Roseman University ever got that LCME approval? I know they got rejected initially but I heard through the grapevine they are trying again

I may be confusing different schools, but I recall Roseman being a for-profit school had something to do with it, after the lousy taste in the mouth that CN'u" lefty with LCME.

I wonder if the opening of UNLV med school played a political factor in this-- I mean prior to this Touro-NV was the only school in that region.

I may be confusing different schools, but I recall Roseman being a for-profit school had something to do with it, after the lousy taste in the mouth that CN'u" lefty with LCME.
The rest of Roseman is not-for-profit, so I don't think their med school would have been for-profit.

Well according to their website they list themselves as a non-profit(including their pharmacy school) --- but CNU may have left a bad taste in LCME's mouth -- might of led to the initial rejection!

Source: http://www.roseman.edu/learn-about-us/

SHU was supposed to open in 2017, then they pushed it back to 2018, now they're likely going to push it back even further at least that's what I've been told

Ahhh, my memory is very faulty tonight!

My apologies to the Roseman people.

Well according to their website they list themselves as a non-profit(including their pharmacy school) --- but CNU may have left a bad taste in LCME's mouth -- might of led to the initial rejection!

Source: http://www.roseman.edu/learn-about-us/

Thanks for the opinions/info - hopefully will be open and accepting for 2018... But same as above, all the info I found was older. Oh well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know anything about Seton Hall's Med school to be?

I've heard 2018,so would that make their first application acceptances start this upcoming cycle, or acceptances starting in 2018?

Just curious because it seems like a cool opportunity, in a unique area. I've tried to search both forums and google without real substance, so was hoping for some new knowledge or insight.

Since they are still in applicant stage with the LCME, I think 2019 would be the absolute earliest they could open.

Reactions: 1 users
I have friends there and they've been told there was going to be an EAP program in place for sophomores to apply into for the past 3 years, but there's still no word. Originally they were planning to open it earlier (if you search it up they were talking about the Roche site since 2014, but officially signed the lease in 2016), but hopefully they'll open by 2020.

its still applicant status at LCME and hasnt applied for preliminary accreditation yet. They are likely submitting that in April and they might, though it would be a stretch to be ready to accept application in June 2018

It takes more than one year to get preliminarily accredited? Did you mean June 2017?

Thoughts on Seton Hall's curriculum schematic? It looks like rotations start MS2 and students take STEP 1&2 during MS3, am I reading this correctly? If so that's different.

phases-final-revised_4.png

This rings a bell! I swear that I've heard something like this before, even related to COMLEX. My recollection is that there was/is a drive to move to a single Board certification exam, taken later in med school.
Thoughts on Seton Hall's curriculum schematic? It looks like rotations start MS2 and students take STEP 1&2 during MS3, am I reading this correctly? If so that's different.

Bringing this thread back to life-any more news on this school opening? I am interested and cannot find any information other than "slated to open in 2018". Their website seems to be pretty fleshed out, however.

Bringing this thread back to life-any more news on this school opening? I am interested and cannot find any information other than "slated to open in 2018". Their website seems to be pretty fleshed out, however.
Take this for what it's worth but I live pretty much down the street from it and with the exception of a few construction vehicles the place looks deserted.

Article from the Seton Hall newspaper from 2 weeks ago said the following:
"According to Stanton, the plans for the medical school remain on schedule. The next steps include “hiring the faculty, finalizing the Faculty Guide and Bylaws, forming the faculty committees, developing the curriculum and hopefully getting ready for the site visit,” which will take place in June if the school receives positive news from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), the accrediting body. If all goes according to plan, the medical school campus, located on the border of Nutley and Clifton, will open its doors to its first 50-student class in fall 2018."

despite what the newspaper and the head of seton hall says, as they are only in applicant status and would still need a visit and evaluation just to move to candidate status, which you still cannot admit students, it would nearly impossible to get that done by August
Sorry for bumping the thread but it appears that Seton Hall is now under Candidate status. Any chance they will be added on into the AMCAS late in the cycle like UNLVSOM and WSU did last cycle?

Seton hall better be a success. I love the location and nj needs more schools!

Sorry for bumping the thread but it appears that Seton Hall is now under Candidate status. Any chance they will be added on into the AMCAS late in the cycle like UNLVSOM and WSU did last cycle?

I asked someone more in the know than myself, and it all comes down to the date(s) of the site visit. If that happens with enough lead time before the LCME October meeting then Seton could open in 2018. I notice that four schools have progressed to candidate status, which means the LCME is going to be quite busy this year.

I asked someone more in the know than myself, and it all comes down to the date(s) of the site visit. If that happens with enough lead time before the LCME October meeting then Seton could open in 2018. I notice that four schools have progressed to candidate status, which means the LCME is going to be quite busy this year.
What are the four candidates?

What are the four candidates?
From the LCME directory:
  • California University of Science and Medicine
  • Nova Southeastern University College of Allopathic Medicine
  • Carle Illinois College of Medicine
  • Seton Hall-Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine

I would not hold my breath on CUSM.
Could you elaborate? Does it just not have the resources of the others which are associated with major health systems (edit: I was mostly thinking Kaiser Permanente on this one but they're not a candidate yet) or existing research universities? Their website seems less informative than the others'.

What do you guys think about seton hall's 3+1 curriculum? There isn't much information on it and im curious to hear what your thoughts are.

It's honestly the major reason I'm keeping up with the school. There seems to be a trend with a few schools fast-tracking medical school whether it be a 3+3 program for certain primary care fields or PA->MD/DO or even self pacing module based curricula. I'm no expert as I'm a non-trad pre-med who is looking to matriculate at the end of this cycle but I'm not sure how I would feel having the step 1 in the third year after spending a good chunk of time through 2nd year clinicals. The step 2 timeline makes more sense to me but, again, what do I know?

I really do like how they open up their fourth year up to many options, though. As someone who is both very interested in research and underserved medicine, it would allow me to be more flexible.

Could you elaborate? Does it just not have the resources of the others which are associated with major health systems (edit: I was mostly thinking Kaiser Permanente on this one but they're not a candidate yet) or existing research universities? Their website seems less informative than the others'.
I looked at their website and it reminds me on the old Andy Hardy movies with Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland, where someone would say "hey everybody, let's put on a show!".

Here, it's "hey everybody, let's open a medical school!"

I would not hold my breath on CUSM.
I'm curious Goro why you think CalMed won't come to fruition in a timely manner?
Outside the obvious tight rotation access situation in the IE(LLU, UCR and Western in close proximity) is there more?

I'm curious Goro why you think CalMed won't come to fruition in a timely manner?
Outside the obvious tight rotation access situation in the IE(LLU, UCR and Western in close proximity) is there more?
See my post above. Also, my understanding of the rotation site numbers in CA is that they are being more and more fought over, by both schools int he state, and even schools outside the state. I heard a story once that UCSF lost a site that was poached by Dartmouth, and Touro-CA lost a site or two to a Carib diploma mill. CN'u" poached some sites from UCD as well.

My own school was hoping to get into some CA sites, but got shut out pretty quickly.

I heard a story once that UCSF lost a site that was poached by Dartmouth, and Touro-CA lost a site or two to a Carib diploma mill. CN'u" poached some sites from UCD as well.

Very true! My med friends in CA schools are feeling the squeeze-- and California Pacific Medical Center(CPMC) is trying to have their cake and eat it too by keeping their UCSF affiliation while solidifying their partnership with Geisel-- it's fascinating to see the politics of medical education at work.

As for Touro-CA and UCD losing sites to other questionable schools both domestic and abroad reminds of an old NYT article where they described the battlefield of NYC rotation sites and how SGU was able to $ecure $ites through monetary methods-- wonder if California sites across the board will go through this in the coming years.

Very true! My med friends in CA schools are feeling the squeeze-- and California Pacific Medical Center(CPMC) is trying to have their cake and eat it too by keeping their UCSF affiliation while solidifying their partnership with Geisel-- it's fascinating to see the politics of medical education at work.

As for Touro-CA and UCD losing sites to other questionable schools both domestic and abroad reminds of an old NYT article where they described the battlefield of NYC rotation sites and how SGU was able to $ecure $ites through monetary methods-- wonder if California sites across the board will go through this in the coming years.
I heard some dish that the director of one of those CA sites retired right after selling out, er , affiliating with SGU. Payola makes a nice 401k contribution, it seems.

From the LCME directory:
  • California University of Science and Medicine
  • Nova Southeastern University College of Allopathic Medicine
  • Carle Illinois College of Medicine
  • Seton Hall-Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine

What's up with Nova? Will this be a new med school or will they be transitioning from DO to MD? Or will they be offering both?

A new Seton Hall med is interesting. It will be the 5th Catholic med, and the only non-Jesuit. Don't know if the US has ever had a non-Jesuit MD school before.

Interesting. Not to stir up a hornet's nest but I wonder if the MD school will be harder to get into (require higher stats).

That for sure is a given. It couldn't possibly be otherwise I think. I believe there are a few other Do with md places if I recall

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That for sure is a given. It couldn't possibly be otherwise I think. I believe there are a few other Do with md places if I recall

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
MSU and VTech have both. There might be another also.

Edit: Rowan

What's up with Nova? Will this be a new med school or will they be transitioning from DO to MD? Or will they be offering both?
They're trying to open an MD school. They're not going to give up a cash cow like a DO school. MD accreditations take longer, and LCME is more serious about it.

Isn't BU Franciscan?
Unaffiliated, historically Methodist. Maybe you're thinking of BC (also Jesuit though)?
Edit: Wait did you mean Barry U, the pod med school? Non-Jesuit but doesn't seem to be Franciscan.
Also Marian U is Franciscan but not sure if the med school is affiliated. Also UIWCOM is Catholic.

Last edited: