sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaBeta<3

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nobody I've asked seems to know. Do all types of science courses count towards your sGPA? Like forensic science and astrology and stuff? Do online science courses count towards it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right, but orgo isn't on that list, just Chem. Like things like that.

From the linked AMCAS Course Classification Guide

The following guide provides examples of how courses are often categorized. Please select course classifications based on the primary content of the course.

In the case of interdisciplinary courses, where two or more subject matters are combined into one course, refer to the description of the course on your school's website or consult with your Pre-health Advisor to choose the most appropriate course classification.

Also what if you take nursing classes? Does that count towards sgpa?

From the linked AMCAS Course Classification Guide
Ok, so that is the part that confuses me. Things are classified as bio or Chem in my school, but they're not traditional courses. So idk if they count towards sgpa

Ok, so that is the part that confuses me. Things are classified as bio or Chem in my school, but they're not traditional courses. So idk if they count towards sgpa
Only courses in CHEM, BIOL, MATH, and PHYS categories count toward sGPA. If it starts with any of those prefixes (or your school's equivalent), it counts, so long as it's 100 level or higher. Even if it's like, CHEM 174, Aromatic Chemistry of Breakfast Cereals.

Reactions: 6 users
Only courses in CHEM, BIOL, MATH, and PHYS categories count toward sGPA. If it starts with any of those prefixes (or your school's equivalent), it counts, so long as it's 100 level or higher. Even if it's like, CHEM 174, Aromatic Chemistry of Breakfast Cereals.
Ok that was my question lol thank you. And online science courses count as well towards sgpa, but might not be accepted by med schools, right?

Sorry, just to be clear, prefixes beginning with SCI are not accepted, correc?

Ok that was my question lol thank you. And online science courses count as well towards sgpa, but might not be accepted by med schools, right?
Correct.
Sorry, just to be clear, prefixes beginning with SCI are not accepted, correc?
Yep. While we colloquially call it "sGPA," truthfully it is "BCPM GPA," which includes only biology, chemistry, physics, and math- all other science courses are exempt. This causes some interesting quirks, such as at universities that have their own astronomy department versus those that have astronomy fall under the physics umbrella- ASTR won't count for BCPM, but an astronomy course that has the PHYS designation will.

Reactions: 1 users