SGU c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an interview! Amazing turn around - I submitted my supplemental application around midnight last night and got an interview offer at 11!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else weirded out by the fact that we have to submit photos? I understand wanting to verify we have a passport if accepted, but no other school has asked for a picture for "interview purposes." It makes me feel like the admissions committee is playing "hot or not" before opening a single file. Is that too pessimistic? :shrug:

Auburn asked for photos with their supplemental applications. It's not unheard of, though I agree that it is strange.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else weirded out by the fact that we have to submit photos? I understand wanting to verify we have a passport if accepted, but no other school has asked for a picture for "interview purposes." It makes me feel like the admissions committee is playing "hot or not" before opening a single file. Is that too pessimistic? :shrug:
Florida asked for a passport-type photo for their supplemental application last year, and I think a couple other schools do too. I think it's for identity verification, and being able to put a face to a name after the interviews.

Did anyone else get a call from SGU today letting you know you could apply for January instead of August? It wasn't like they've rejected me for fall, more like they wanted to make sure I was aware of the option. I said thanks but no thanks, I'd hate to break my lease on my apartment here and leave my boyfriend high and dry. Not sure if the call is a good or bad sign though, lol! I still need to submit my supplemental, so no word on an interview yet.

I got the call too. I actually was rejected for Fall 2016 and had told Krista to go ahead and move my app up for January (totally too soon for me also but I didn't have to do anything to get things switched, so why not?) It was kind of a confusing call for me since I have been in email contact with her about it and the message was generic. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I wish I could apply for the January instead of the May, but they want me to take an additional biochem course since mine was combined with organic. Bummer!

No call here... Hmmm. Also, when they sent me the interview email they just said they'd be sending along the contact info of my interviewer soon, but the subject said action required. Do we need to respond in any way?

No call here... Hmmm. Also, when they sent me the interview email they just said they'd be sending along the contact info of my interviewer soon, but the subject said action required. Do we need to respond in any way?

I just responded with a thank you and a confirmation of interest.

Did anyone else get a call from SGU today letting you know you could apply for January instead of August? It wasn't like they've rejected me for fall, more like they wanted to make sure I was aware of the option. I said thanks but no thanks, I'd hate to break my lease on my apartment here and leave my boyfriend high and dry. Not sure if the call is a good or bad sign though, lol! I still need to submit my supplemental, so no word on an interview yet.

I also got the call. I wasn't near my phone, so the lady left a message and told me to talk to Krista.

I think it's just that they have more applicants for August than they do for January. So, if all prerequisites will be completed by December, then I don't see why they wouldn't make sure that people knew about the January start date. I personally cannot start in January though. I don't think it's bad/good.

I just thanked them for their interest, confirmed my address and said that I was still interested.

Wow! I waited for.......ever.
Did you turn yours in early? I feel like I submitted mine after the rush (I.e. I procrastinated) so they had probably already evaluated my VMCAS application and made their decision before I even submitted my supplemental. I doubt that little questionnaire has much bearing on the admissions process.

I was in the middle of the ocean when I got that call, I kept telling the person I was out scuba diving and it wasn't a good time - I hope she didn't think I was being rude! but the boat was rocking so much lol
Regarding the essay, did everyone do exactly 500 words? it says approximately, and the form allows you to input more... i'm trying to figure out if I can get away with like 50 extra words ..or would that be too much ?

I got the call on Saturday about January 2016 for the spring review of my app even though I had only selected the fall 2016 on VMCAS. I submitted my supplemental application on Sunday... Email this morning saying that all materials were received... Then another email around 11AM saying I was granted an interview!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got the call on Saturday about January 2016 for the spring review of my app even though I had only selected the fall 2016 on VMCAS. I submitted my supplemental application on Sunday... Email this morning saying that all materials were received... Then another email around 11AM saying I was granted an interview!!
Same thing happened to me -- unintended perks of procrastination! :rofl:

Did you turn yours in early? I feel like I submitted mine after the rush (I.e. I procrastinated) so they had probably already evaluated my VMCAS application and made their decision before I even submitted my supplemental. I doubt that little questionnaire has much bearing on the admissions process.

Yep, I submitted mine May 22 :bag:

Has anyone heard anything about the Foundation Program? Has anyone heard of it being "waived" after an interview and being accepted into the DVM program instead? I've interviewed for SGU and was told about the Foundation program at first, but my interview invite was the same as the DVM ones. Thoughts?

Has anyone heard anything about the Foundation Program? Has anyone heard of it being "waived" after an interview and being accepted into the DVM program instead? I've interviewed for SGU and was told about the Foundation program at first, but my interview invite was the same as the DVM ones. Thoughts?

I was actually just accepted to the foundation program. I was thinking the same thing when I was interviewed- but I was still accepted to the foundation program.

Will anyone else be starting the Foundation Program for Jan 16?

Its a few classes you take and then you need to pass the Preveterinary Science Comprehensive Examination (PVSCE) in May 2016. Once you complete the courses and pass the test you gain entry into the Veterinary Program.

Its a few classes you take and then you need to pass the Preveterinary Science Comprehensive Examination (PVSCE) in May 2016. Once you complete the courses and pass the test you gain entry into the Veterinary Program.

Did they tell you before your interview invite that it was for the foundation program? I was offered an interview but that wasn't mentioned. Wondering if they decide beforehand or from what they gather in the interview?

Did they tell you before your interview invite that it was for the foundation program? I was offered an interview but that wasn't mentioned. Wondering if they decide beforehand or from what they gather in the interview?

Yes, they told me before the interview that it would be for the foundation program.

Got the magical call today everyone has been talking about. Well, voicemail. My guess is they're just going in the order that they were received. I'd love to start in January, but I don't know if I'm ready/willing to commit to SGU to do it. I want to know my options. it's tough.

Got the magical call today everyone has been talking about. Well, voicemail. My guess is they're just going in the order that they were received. I'd love to start in January, but I don't know if I'm ready/willing to commit to SGU to do it. I want to know my options. it's tough.

I got it too! Lol

I'm seriously torn about it. I wonder how that impacts the 4th year back in the states?

Has anyone actually gotten the contact info yet for their interviewer?

Has anyone actually gotten the contact info yet for their interviewer?

My friend did...they had received her materials and offered her an interview a week before me, though. Krista said they do it in phases since there are a lot in each area for one person to interview.

I'm seriously torn about it. I wonder how that impacts the 4th year back in the states?

Depends on where you go I think. Most schools just let you start in January after you finish 6th term, for others you wait until May and do an externship or something in the off months.

Submited my supplemental application this morning :) For those of you who have already been invited to an interview, how long after you submitted the supplemental did you hear back?

Depends on where you go I think. Most schools just let you start in January after you finish 6th term, for others you wait until May and do an externship or something in the off months.
which schools have you heard that of? i cant think of any that were doing that in the US when we applied. Murdoch starts only in February, so my classmate that went there had some time off between May and then and did externship stuff (but this messed with her ability to take out loans during that period, because she wasnt considered an active enrolled student)

Submited my supplemental application this morning :) For those of you who have already been invited to an interview, how long after you submitted the supplemental did you hear back?
I submitted mine "after the rush" and heard back literally within hours. I got the "we've received your application" email at 10 and got my invite at 11.

which schools have you heard that of? i cant think of any that were doing that in the US when we applied. Murdoch starts only in February, so my classmate that went there had some time off between May and then and did externship stuff (but this messed with her ability to take out loans during that period, because she wasnt considered an active enrolled student)

Probably mostly foreign schools. Is Murdoch the school in Australia? One of my classmates talked to the representative that was here from the Australian school and he told her that she wouldn't be able to graduate with our class because she wouldn't be finished when the rest of us would be.

I submitted mine "after the rush" and heard back literally within hours. I got the "we've received your application" email at 10 and got my invite at 11.
I got my "we've received your application" almost instantly after I submitted, but still havent' heard back about interviews. Getting nervous ahh!

Yay just got an interview invite :D Now just waiting for them to e-mail me the contact info of an alumni in my area.

Yay just got an interview invite :D Now just waiting for them to e-mail me the contact info of an alumni in my area.
Prepare to wait... I don't think that "3 weeks" estimate they give you in the email is an overestimation. I got that email a solid 2 weeks ago and am still waiting.

I think it depends on the person you have. They emailed me the contact information the same day and she replied and we set up a date for the interview within 3 days!

I think it depends on the person you have. They emailed me the contact information the same day and she replied and we set up a date for the interview within 3 days!
It probably also depends on your location, the number of alumni in the area, and their availability

Dang, good for you! Funny how it took them a few hours to go through my application but forever to get the interview, and vice versa for you. Oh well - good luck at your interview!

Hello everyone, first-time poster here! I submitted my supplemental for SGU late last night and just received an interview invite this afternoon. The e-mail I received said that though I had applied for August 2016 start, my application had been placed in the January 2016 pile. Did this happen to any of you? It would be pretty much impossible for me to start in January so I'm a little concerned.

Yeah still waiting on the contact info too! I live in Canada so I figured maybe that's why it's taking a while since most alumni are probably in the States.

I live in AZ. My interviewer is in NY. We are conducting via skype apparently...

Mine was Skype as well, and my interview for Ross. I loved it, very casual. Also I was definitely wearing pajama pants for my Ross interview and they never knew ;)