SGU Vs. ROSS Vs. AUA Vs. AUC Vs. SABA Vs. MUA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this have been talked about in the past, but nothing recent. The stats have changed, so did the programs. So, I wanted to start an updated thread for students like me.

The Title is self explanatory, what do you think? Pros and Cons of the school.

I have already applied to MD, and DO programs. Haven't gotten any interviews yet. So, before taking the big step by applying to carribean schools, I wanted to explore my options for all the schools.

Thank you +pad+ :bow:

Members don't see this ad.

Back when I explored this option:
Only AUC, Ross and St George allows Americans to receive fin aid.
I thought AUC was the better option.
More developed island, cheaper than St George, smaller class sizes than Ross. However I thought someone said AUC was undergoing an expansion so their class size will be going up.

Ross and AUC are both owned by DeVry. In fact, they share a MERP program.

I know this have been talked about in the past, but nothing recent. The stats have changed, so did the programs. So, I wanted to start an updated thread for students like me.

I have already applied to MD, and DO programs. Haven't gotten any interviews yet. So, before taking the big step by applying to carribean schools, I wanted to explore my options for all the schools.

What's your GPA and MCAT? The answer should never be to go to the islands. Class of 2017+ from the islands is going to be hosed for a number of reasons.

There are tons of options. Do an SMP, retake classes, retake the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do either MD or DO in the US.

I would absolutely not recommend ANYONE start in the Carribean now who hopes to practice in the US, even a US citizen.

US MD ≥ US DO > SMP >>>>>>> SGU > AUC/Ross > Saba > UK/Western Europe/Australia/New Zealand > Other Caribbean Schools/Eastern Europe ≥ Diploma mills.

Remember, if you have the stats to get into the Big 4 (SGU, AUC, Ross, Saba), then you have the stats for a high linkage SMP into a US MD school. It worked for me!

US MD ≥ US DO > SMP

I will just say this (having been in private practice for 3 1/2 years) and I'm really not trying to start a ****storm...

I am rarely - RARELY - asked where I went to medical school (maybe once a year). I not-so-rarely hear, "What the hell is a 'D.O.'?"

You may have more options as a D.O. graduating in the U.S. and I'm not prepared to argue against that. But, you may also have a lot more explaining to do to your patients down the line. Maybe this will change eventually. Hasn't yet.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
I am rarely - RARELY - asked where I went to medical school (maybe once a year). I not-so-rarely hear, "What the hell is a 'D.O.'?"

You may have more options as a D.O. graduating in the U.S. and I'm not prepared to argue against that. But, you may also have a lot more explaining to do to your patients down the line. Maybe this will change eventually. Hasn't yet.

-Skip

The problem is, in 2017 people will be asking their physician "doc, what the hell is a DO?" and they will be asking recent IMG graduates "can you put vanilla in my latte?"

Reactions: 3 users
I will just say this (having been in private practice for 3 1/2 years) and I'm really not trying to start a ****storm...

-Skip

I can actually attest to this too. When I was shadowing in the ER, one of the DOs had to explain to a pissy patient that he wasn't a midlevel. The problem I think is that there are an awful lot of non-physician hospital staff in scrubs and white-coats with odd strings of initials after their names that aren't "MD," which makes things confusing to some patients. Some people also get DO ophthalmologists confused with optometrists (ODs) which I suppose is more understandable. At then end of the day it just requires a bit of explanation. But the point of my post wasn't really for the quality of education but about maximizing the probability of landing your first-choice residency, USMLE scores and all else equal.

The problem is, in 2017 people will be asking their physician "doc, what the hell is a DO?" and they will be asking recent IMG graduates "can you put vanilla in my latte?"

This might be true. But I think due to the physician shortage, they'll probably expand residency positions. I mean, we have to at some point right?

Haha. Yeah, this may be true. But, see unzbuzzled's comment. The COGME, which has historically been a woefully inadequate consortium trying to sort out the doctor balance in the U.S., has yet been able to effectively address this problem.

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha. Yeah, this may be true. But, see unzbuzzled's comment. The COGME, which has historically been a woefully inadequate consortium trying to sort out the doctor balance in the U.S., has yet been able to effectively address this problem.

-Skip

I just think it's cool that the dean of my medical school wrote that letter to congress. Small world.

Where does AUA fall in this list? I thought it had finally outranked AUC. It was my understanding that the ratings were SGU > Ross (but not by much) > AUA > AUC > SABA = MUA

Where does AUA fall in this list? I thought it had finally outranked AUC. It was my understanding that the ratings were SGU > Ross (but not by much) > AUA > AUC > SABA = MUA

No way is AUA gunna outrank AUC. Lol AUA doesn't even require the MCAT for admission. What kind of bull**** is that?

If the following link is accurate, AUA has required the MCAT since Feburary. http://www.auamed.org/low-no-mcat.

Here's info from their website: "AUA will NOT use MCAT scores as a condition for acceptance into the University, but scores are required to matriculate." So u r trying to tell me that a med school that doesn't use the MCAT, which is a standardized test across all US MED schools is better than AUC, which has been using MCAT scores for acceptances? Get real.

AUC>>>>>>AUA....My friend has not taken the mcat yet and AUA already accepted him but they told him that he has to take it. They dont mind if he gets ANY score.
My rank is: SGU>AUC>ROSS>SABA>>>>>AUA>MUA>SMU.

Last edited:
I have worked and trained with students from AUC, Ross, St. George's, and SABA. If you get into and do well at any of those schools, (some) doors will open.

The rest is a crap shoot in this one person's opinion.

-Skip

The reason SGU, AUC, Ross, and Saba are considered the best Caribbean schools is because upon graduating from one of these schools, you will be licensed to work as a doctor in all 50 states. It is especially tricky for medical schools to receive licensure from California, Florida, New York, and New Jersey. It doesn't seem like a big deal if you're not planning on practicing in one of those states, but there are something like 13 states that follow suit with California, meaning there would be a quite a few states you wouldn't be able to practice in. Of the big four, only SGU, AUC, and Ross are approved for federal student loans. If you go to Saba, you will have to use private loans. My personal opinion would be SGU > AUC > Ross > Saba >>>>>>>> every other Caribbean school. SGU is by far the most recognized Caribbean school, but AUC is located on a far better island to live on. I personally don't like Ross because they have a very high attrition rate and their campus is really run down in comparison to SGU and AUC. I honestly don't know much about Saba, but only because I have never considered going there.

As far as IMGs serving lattes after not obtaining residency... I find it hard to believe that there could be a nationwide shortage of physicians by the year 2020, and residency spots not increasing. Sure they haven't created new residency spots yet, but there isn't a need for them right now. Medical schools are only now beginning to increase class sizes, and a lot of the new schools are only now just opening.

With all that being said, no one really knows what is going to happen. DeVry purchased both AUC and Ross and immediately started adding onto the campuses, investing millions of dollars in new libraries, etc. I'm sure they did a lot of research into what is going to happen in the next 10+ years before they decided to invest that kind of money. Maybe they made a "bad investment", but I would be willing to bet the people they hired to analyze the market growth for physicians are more educated on the matter than most of these guys here on these forums.

Reactions: 1 user
The reason SGU, AUC, Ross, and Saba are considered the best Caribbean schools is because upon graduating from one of these schools, you will be licensed to work as a doctor in all 50 states. It is especially tricky for medical schools to receive licensure from California, Florida, New York, and New Jersey. It doesn't seem like a big deal if you're not planning on practicing in one of those states, but there are something like 13 states that follow suit with California, meaning there would be a quite a few states you wouldn't be able to practice in. Of the big four, only SGU, AUC, and Ross are approved for federal student loans. If you go to Saba, you will have to use private loans. My personal opinion would be SGU > AUC > Ross > Saba >>>>>>>> every other Caribbean school. SGU is by far the most recognized Caribbean school, but AUC is located on a far better island to live on. I personally don't like Ross because they have a very high attrition rate and their campus is really run down in comparison to SGU and AUC. I honestly don't know much about Saba, but only because I have never considered going there.

As far as IMGs serving lattes after not obtaining residency... I find it hard to believe that there could be a nationwide shortage of physicians by the year 2020, and residency spots not increasing. Sure they haven't created new residency spots yet, but there isn't a need for them right now. Medical schools are only now beginning to increase class sizes, and a lot of the new schools are only now just opening.

With all that being said, no one really knows what is going to happen. DeVry purchased both AUC and Ross and immediately started adding onto the campuses, investing millions of dollars in new libraries, etc. I'm sure they did a lot of research into what is going to happen in the next 10+ years before they decided to invest that kind of money. Maybe they made a "bad investment", but I would be willing to bet the people they hired to analyze the market growth for physicians are more educated on the matter than most of these guys here on these forums.
I didn't know that Devry purchased AUC, I knew about Ross. When did this occur?

I didn't know that Devry purchased AUC, I knew about Ross. When did this occur?

I just googled it really quick. DeVry purchased AUC in 2011 for $235 million. They are finishing up with a campus expansion right now that is supposed to be ready for the September 2013 class.

great thanks for the info...
I wish I had a piece of a top Caribbean medical school, sit back relax and watch the tuition pour in.

great thanks for the info...
I wish I had a piece of a top Caribbean medical school, sit back relax and watch the tuition pour in.

They will have their IPO in the New Stock exchange soon

No matter which school you choose on the islands, you will be pissed off and fed up within the first two years. And then it gets worse.

It may be boring now in undergrad / Master's, but taking the shortcut is not worth it. Of course, I am prone to taking shortcuts ;)

SGU pros: Quite difficult courses, quite difficult faculties, good "learning" and self-teaching opportunities, an in-school tutoring program. Good cadavers with prosection first and then a dissection elective. Opportunities to preview the island hospital for quite a while before entering rotations. Definitive and good rotation sites in NY, NJ, OH, FL, CA (well, I wouldn't go to the CA ones, but still).

SGU cons: People will drop out. Will you be one of them? Two people I'm close friends with dropped out, and one of my best friends had to repeat a term (they waive tuition for the repeated term). All the usual Caribbean school caveats apply, and the island is underdeveloped.

No matter which school you choose on the islands, you will be pissed off and fed up within the first two years. And then it gets worse.

It may be boring now in undergrad / Master's, but taking the shortcut is not worth it. Of course, I am prone to taking shortcuts ;)

This is why it is, in essence, survival of the fittest.

SGU pros: Quite difficult courses, quite difficult faculties, good "learning" and self-teaching opportunities, an in-school tutoring program. Good cadavers with prosection first and then a dissection elective. Opportunities to preview the island hospital for quite a while before entering rotations. Definitive and good rotation sites in NY, NJ, OH, FL, CA (well, I wouldn't go to the CA ones, but still).

SGU cons: People will drop out. Will you be one of them? Two people I'm close friends with dropped out, and one of my best friends had to repeat a term (they waive tuition for the repeated term). All the usual Caribbean school caveats apply, and the island is underdeveloped.

Same is true, maybe more so, for Ross.

-Skip

I think people should be objective rather than subjective in ranking Caribbean or any-other medical schools.

I think good objective measures are:
1) ave MCAT of accepted applicants (GPA is standardized while high GPAs are easier to obtain at community colleges)
2) ave STEP 1 and 2 score of students
3) length of match list
4) number of university (rather than community or university community affiliate program students at the school match to).

I think people should be objective rather than subjective in ranking Caribbean or any-other medical schools.

I think good objective measures are:
1) ave MCAT of accepted applicants (GPA is standardized while high GPAs are easier to obtain at community colleges)
2) ave STEP 1 and 2 score of students
3) length of match list
4) number of university (rather than community or university community affiliate program students at the school match to).

Length of match list doesn't tell enough because some schools are smaller than others. SABA is very small while Ross is huge for example.

I just don't really like match lists at all, they never tell you

A: how many students entered
B: how many graduated

Until they tell you that, match lists are useless.

Length of match list doesn't tell enough because some schools are smaller than others. SABA is very small while Ross is huge for example.

I just don't really like match lists at all, they never tell you

A: how many students entered
B: how many graduated

Until they tell you that, match lists are useless.

Here is my revised list of proposed OBJECTIVE measures that a North American considering obtaining residency in North America may use to rank which International school they consider attending:

1) average MCAT of accepted applicants

-MCAT is standardized
-GPA may vary from school to school

2) attrition rate

-thank you Medstart

3) average STEP 1, 2 and 3 scores & for Canadians average MCCEE and MCQE1 E2 scores of their students
-the average Step 1 score for US &Canadian medical students is 227 for 2013
-the average Step 2 score was 230 for 2012
-some MDs complete Step 3 before residency

4) North American Hospitals where their students complete core rotations

-evaluate the reputation of the hospital; generally clerkships at US University programs are better esteemed than clerkships at US Community hospitals and US private doctor's clinics please see #10 about some Community hospitals

5) If their students have to arrange their core and electives in North America by themselves or if the school arranges them for the student

-its always better to have the school to arrange all cores and electives for you
-some schools may even help arrange housing at affilated University's campus housing

6) If the school pays for insurance for rotations

-some schools make students find and pay for liability insurance separately from tuition

7) number of weeks of core rotations and number of weeks of electives

the more hands on experience you get in the North America the better for:
-obtaining US and or Canadian LORs,
-and preparing for Step 2 CK and CS; having American Attendings and Residents scrutinize your notes and reminding you to see each patient and type the note within 20 minutes is good preparation for CS

8) if all rotations are done in the US or if some are done on the country where basic sciences are completed

-many residency programs now require at least ONE year of hands-on clinical experience in the UNITED STATES; and state that observerships and/or research in the US does not count towards this one year

9) if the school has courses and or time allotted towards preparation for the USMLEs

-some schools have contracts with USMLE prep companies and Q banks to provide their students with discounted rates

10) number of University programs that their students match into in the US/ For Canadians consider if anyone from the school has matched into the Canadian Universities that you may want to match into

-rather than community / university affiliate programs OR community programs
-several community programs like Mayo and Cleveland Clinic are highly regarded and some University Programs are not well regarded so you have to do your research

11) if students at the school have access to Title IV loans (for American citizens)

this usually means that:
-the school has been present for at least 10 years
-they report their attrition rate to the US Federal government
- and their students are unlike to default on loans

12) if graduates of the school are able to practice medicine in all 50 States

Please feel free to add OBJECTIVE criteria one can use to rank the International schools they are thinking of attending.

Last edited:
Here is my revised list of proposed OBJECTIVE measures...

Good list, Staryy, that I mostly agree with. I'm going to snip a few of those for further details, from my own impressions and experiences.

1) average MCAT of accepted applicants

Not all International schools require MCAT. While having access to this information for comparison may be ideal, it's probably not practicable.

-its always better to have the school to arrange all cores and electives for you

I agree with the cores and some of the electives, but not all electives.

I set-up electives myself during fourth year that were essentially auditions for residency. From one of them I was even offered a pre-match spot (which I didn't take and subsequently got a position through the NRMP). So, I would disagree that it is "always" better.

A quality school will have a formalized, structured clerkships program with a dedicated coordinator. No disagreement there.

-some schools have contracts with USMLE prep companies and Q banks to provide their students with discounted rates

This is not something that everyone needs or wants to pay for as part of their tuition. I do not necessarily see this as a positive. I did ZERO formalized prep courses, from the Steps to my board-certification, because I simply do not find them helpful. And, I passed everything on the first try. But, that's just me.

I don't have any more really to add right now.

-Skip

Do either MD or DO in the US.

I would absolutely not recommend ANYONE start in the Carribean now who hopes to practice in the US, even a US citizen.

SGU > AUC > Saba >Ross > AUA > MUA
A friend of mind recently took his Step 1 and scored a 251. He is a student at Saba.
There are many physicians practicing in America who attended non-American schools. (My cousin went to ross and is now doing his residency in internal medicine with the intentions of specializing in Cardiology. My parents both attended Caribbean Schools and they are both practicing in America. I have friends whose parents went to school in Africa, Europe etc, yet they are practicing in America)

Caribbean schools require a lot of discipline and self-studying. If you put your mind to it, then you can definitely do it.
Yes it's nice to have the luxury America has to offer but it's only at most 2 years of your life. It's difficult, but it's doable.

Go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
What you say held true in the past. I also know international medical graduates who have become very successful physicians in the States. The reason I would no longer consider international schools is due to the obvious residency crunch in the coming years. There will be more medical grqduates than residency positions, and international graduates will suffer more than anyone else since they're disceiminated against.

I feel that Carib schools train students every bit as well as US schools, and in fact I wanted to go the Caribbean route for the experience alone. I decided against it and was accepted to a US medical school to avoid any future problems. If you don't have any other way of going to medical school, then consider the Caribbean, but there are no guarantees anymore.

SGU > AUC > Saba >Ross > AUA > MUA
A friend of mind recently took his Step 1 and scored a 251. He is a student at Saba.

We must be having a bad case of anecdote-itis on this forum lately. Haha.

I'm not sure how you came up with your order of schools to attend, but I will tell you this: it only matters to the Program Directors at particular programs. And, here's how the majority of them think:

(1) "Can I fill all my spots with U.S. graduates? That's my goal."

(2) "I'm going to preliminarily rank candidates based on my past experience of who's likely to come here. I have an advantage over applicants in this regard, but they probably don't know or realize that. Although I'll still rank those highly, if they're good candidates, because it won't hurt me to do this. "

(3) "I'm not going to rank any cretins or jerks or slobs, no matter where they came from. I am also going to exclude candidates who I became convinced during the interview won't be happy in this program."

(4) "When I generate my final rank list, I'm going to list candidates in this order:
  1. U.S. MD
  2. U.S. DO & quality "true" IMGs
  3. established/reputable Caribbean schools & U.S. students studying abroad (Europe, Australia, Mexico, Germany, Poland, etc.)
  4. IMGs that requires visa sponsorship"

(5) "If I really like and feel good about someone I'm going to rank them highly. No matter where they came from or went to school."

That's it. Nothing more.

Some programs do show preferences for certain Caribbean schools, because they've established a good track record. You can find this out by looking at residency sites, if they post where their current residents came from. (A lot do. Not all of them though.)

But, to categorically say there is an established pecking order is a bit naive and uninformed.

How do I know? I sat on the selection board of my residency committee and voted on incoming candidates. N=1. But, mine is not fully an anecdote or mere opinion because it can be corroborated.

-Skip

The reason I would no longer consider international schools is due to the obvious residency crunch in the coming years. There will be more medical grqduates than residency positions, and international graduates will suffer more than anyone else since they're disceiminated against.

If you repeat a falsehood often enough, some people will start to believe it.

Please read this starting here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/really-lost-need-advice.981187/#post-13848849

-Skip

We must be having a bad case of anecdote-itis on this forum lately. Haha.

I'm not sure how you came up with your order of schools to attend, but I will tell you this: it only matters to the Program Directors at particular programs. And, here's how the majority of them think:
-Skip

(Clap. . . . . . clap)
Anywho. . . i'm sure the original creature of this thread is most likely in a medical school.
Regardless of where you go, if you put in the work and get good grades and good USMLE scores, u will be just fine.
Many people have done it and so can u.

Plan accordingly. Expect to get FP or IM or Peds. If you do really well, other doors will open for you.

As I mentioned on another thread, I have been amazed at the number of my fellow graduates who now hold permanent Assistant Professor level positions at U.S. medical school affiliated programs.

-Skip

Skip Thanks for clarifying. I am in my 2nd yr at SGU and I want to believe if I work hard and due well meaning top 10% of my class that a Program Director wouldn't choice me over a sub par American Student (bottom of there class) just because he graduated from a US Medical School. After all I am also an American Citizen attending a well known University.

Last edited:
Skip Thanks for clarifying. I am in my 2nd yr at SGU and I want to believe if I work hard and due well meaning top 10% of my class that a Program Director wouldn't choice me over a sub par American Student (bottom of there class) just because he graduated from a US Medical School. After all I am also an American Citizen attending a well known University.

When you get into your clinical rotations, shine without appearing to be a "gunner" and work on getting solid recommendation letters from people who are well-known to the programs to which you'll be applying. That's a huge advantage and step towards getting what you want.

-Skip

Reactions: 2 users
I went to AUA, scored well on Steps and in Clinicals. Honestly SGU and AUC rank way above AUA. AUA shoudn't even be in the same convo as SGU and AUC mainly b/c SGU and AUC have US standards. AUA is owned by Manipal. "Mani" = Money...meaning AUA just wants your money. nothing else. I personally know Manipal and the school and faculty is notorious for bribe taking, cheating and lying. School lost nbme priviledges b/c of it.

I went to AUA, scored well on Steps and in Clinicals. Honestly SGU and AUC rank way above AUA. AUA shoudn't even be in the same convo as SGU and AUC mainly b/c SGU and AUC have US standards. AUA is owned by Manipal. "Mani" = Money...meaning AUA just wants your money. nothing else. I personally know Manipal and the school and faculty is notorious for bribe taking, cheating and lying. School lost nbme priviledges b/c of it.

I would be careful about posting such stuff here. Whether you believe what you posted here to be true or not, it is potentially libelous... unless you can support it with irrefutable facts.

You can read more about AUA's history on their Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_University_of_Antigua

I know a few Ross instructors who left and went to teach at AUA, as well.

-Skip

Could you tell me why you chose to go to SGU over AUC and Ross? Especially since it's the most expensive, and the others are cheaper? I'm trying to decide my ranking as well and wanted to know what your thinking process was. Thanks!

I've been a practicing DO for almost 15 years and this is a very rare occurrence. I estimate that 2 patients per year even notice the DO degree and zero of them care.

Okay. Battle of the anecdotes. I surrender.

They see the white coat, and they know you're their doctor.

Hahaha. That's a good one! They see the white coat and they have no idea who you are anymore because everyone from the PharmD to the Chief of Nursing wears a white. Just ask my female friend who is MD, MHA and graduated from a U.S. medical school. She is also currently the chief of both anesthesia and surgery at her hospital. You know how patients try to get her attention when she's walking around the hospital (in Texas)? "Hey, nurse!" White coats mean nothing, my friend. We still have a long way to go, and the SJW's (with their malignant PC rhetoric) aren't actually helping that cause.

Giving up an opportunity in the US as a DO because you will be asked once or twice a year about your degree would be foolish.

If that is specifically directed at me, show me one instance anywhere on this forum (or anywhere else) I say otherwise. What can be inferred by what I said is that because my credentials say "M.D." and not "Caribbean M.D." that only, now in the past five-and-half years that I've been practicing independently, have I been asked where I went to medical school my practice environment less in than a handful of times. Many more people still have no clue what a "D.O." is sometimes thinking they are a chiropractor or an optometrist. I also said...

Maybe this will change eventually. Hasn't yet.

I stand by that. Two years later.

-Skip

Whoa, I just realized that I made an error...

... in the past five-and-half years that I've been practicing independently....

I've actually been in practice six-and-a-half years. Man, time flies!

Likewise, I also should've reiterated this from my original reply:

... and I'm really not trying to start a ****storm...

I really don't care - personally - at this point where anyone went to school or where they trained (with the latter being far more important in the grand scheme of things anyway).

They only thing I care about is whether or not you're lazy and/or incompetent.

Just be prepared, if you go D.O., that some people, yes even in 2015, will still question whether or not you are actually a chiropractor or an optometrist or even a "real" doctor. Yes, I have heard all three, including the last one in the past 6-7 months from a patient asking me about another physician.

Okay, battle of the anecdotes over.

-Skip