Shadow Day OMM opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasonboy94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attended a shadow day event at a osteopathic school in NY, as part of that day I sat in on several classes including a OMM lab in which was given the opportunity to try out several simple OMM techniques. I think this would be great to use as part of the why osteopathic essay. My whole explanation is one of the professors from this school came to my undergraduate school and did OMM demonstrations which kick started my interest and this event furthered my reasons for applying to osteopathic school

My adviser thinks it's a bad idea since i would have to mention the specific osteopathic school and it was only 1 day. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I did the same event! I think it's amazing to mention it, I included it in my application. It's a special type of shadowing that most applicants won't have.

I did the same event! I think it's amazing to mention it, I included it in my application. It's a special type of shadowing that most applicants won't have.
Thanks I'm gonna add it back as one of my experiences. Did you mention the specific osteopathic school name? My advisers rationale was that it would hurt my standing at other schools although i don't think it would.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be great to mention that, personally. So many other applicants have essays that say "something something holistic, something something primary care, something something whole person etc.". That sounds cool and substantive in comparison.

It makes sense that you did this at the school that's geographically most convenient for you.

Thanks I'm gonna add it back as one of my experiences. Did you mention the specific osteopathic school name? My advisers rationale was that it would hurt my standing at other schools although i don't think it would.

I did mention the school because it asks for "Organization name" under experiences. I don't think it would hurt your chances, that just seems silly.

Did the professor actually come to your undergraduate campus or did you go to the school for 1 day and view a brief demonstration of OMM. Not a bad point to mention as long as it is in the correct context and not your entire rationale beind "why osteopathic medicine".

Thanks for all the replies, i went ahead and added it back to my application.

Did the professor actually come to your undergraduate campus or did you go to the school for 1 day and view a brief demonstration of OMM. Not a bad point to mention as long as it is in the correct context and not your entire rationale beind "why osteopathic medicine".
The professors did the demonstration during my sophomore and senior year at a pre-professional fair my school holds. I went to the campus of the osteopathic school (this year, 1st semester of masters) for a day and "shadowed" a medical student; during the OMM lab, we were allowed to do some of the techniques if we wanted too