Shadowing My OMFS while I'm in High School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rootcanalsaregood

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a few threads I've seen about shadowing in high school, but mostly just about shadowing general dentists and not oral surgeons. I'm really interested in dentistry and I hope to specialize and become an oral surgeon after regular dental school and I really want to shadow the oral surgeon who removed my wisdom teeth. I know that shadowing in high school doesn't count for anything on applications or resumes, but I don't want to do it for that, I want to do it so I can have a look into the day of an OMFS up close and personal.

I'm a Junior in high school and I was wondering if you guys think he would let me shadow him? He's a really nice guy (not sure if that makes a difference lol). Because of my age (16), are there more liability and privacy issues, especially with a place that is performing more serious procedures than a regular dentist's office? And how should I express my desire to shadow him? Should I email the office, should I call them, should I go in personally? Perhaps write a letter? I know I'll only really know if I actually ask, but I just wanted some insight before I go about it.

Members don't see this ad.

People definitely shadow oral surgeons, but they tend to shadow general dentists far more because we are going to dental school to become dentists. I would leave your options open in terms of a career in dentistry. Don't limit yourself to just oral surgery because only the best of the best in dental school are able to even become oral surgeons. I'm not saying you aren't going to do great in dental school but you just never know. You have to be happy with possibly being a general dentist as well. As for shadowing your oral surgeon, I would just ask him. You were his patient so I'm sure he would be more willing to let you shadow him. If there's an issue regarding your age, he'll tell you and you can always shadow him when you're in college.

Reactions: 2 users
Does your school have a volunteering requirement to graduate? When I was in hs, I needed 40hrs of volunteer to graduate and I used it in a medical setting to get my foot in the door. You can always volunteer your time as a floater in a dental office. Then maybe ask to shadow a lil after.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would ask in person.

Also with the problem of your age:

Does your school have an internship or volunteering requirement or opportunity? At my high school, the full IB kids could shadow or get an internship for the last 6 weeks of school instead of doing final exams/ projects.

I'm saying this because my dentist was hestant to let me shadow without the aforementioned aspects since he thought I was under 18. I wish you the best of luck on this journey. If he/she is uncomfortable (which is understandable) with you doing this then you just need to knock on a few other doors.

Reactions: 1 user
Does your school have a volunteering requirement to graduate? When I was in hs, I needed 40hrs of volunteer to graduate and I used it in a medical setting to get my foot in the door. You can always volunteer your time as a floater in a dental office. Then maybe ask to shadow a lil after.
Yes, my school does have that actually and I've been thinking about maybe looking around and trying to volunteer at my family dentist's office. Good idea.

I would ask in person.

Also with the problem of your age:

Does your school have an internship or volunteering requirement or opportunity? At my high school, the full IB kids could shadow or get an internship for the last 6 weeks of school instead of doing final exams/ projects.

I'm saying this because my dentist was hestant to let me shadow without the aforementioned aspects since he thought I was under 18. I wish you the best of luck on this journey. If he/she is uncomfortable (which is understandable) with you doing this then you just need to knock on a few other doors.
My high school does offer volunteering opportunities so I might try that as a way of getting some insight into the dental field. I appreciate your response.