Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DTRTiger16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently work as a medical assistant for an orthopedic clinic and work with both orthopedic surgeons and podiatrists. Although I have not "volunteered" with any podiatrist, I have still worked with them and they have let me sit in with them several times. On the AACPM application it says that all podiatric experience is through volunteering. What if I actually work with/for one? Does this count? And do I have to have a letter confirming that I did (shadow) for all of the schools?

Members don't see this ad.

you don't need a letter confirming shadowing per se...but most all of the schools require a letter of rec from a podiatrist. this usually entails shadowing them

I currently work as a medical assistant for an orthopedic clinic and work with both orthopedic surgeons and podiatrists. Although I have not "volunteered" with any podiatrist, I have still worked with them and they have let me sit in with them several times. On the AACPM application it says that all podiatric experience is through volunteering. What if I actually work with/for one? Does this count? And do I have to have a letter confirming that I did (shadow) for all of the schools?

IMO I think your past experience with pods would be satisfactory for any podiatry school you apply to. Schools require a letter from a pod to ensure future students know what they are getting themselves into and so that they learn about the profession. It's another way of preventing applicants from simply rushing to apply to podiatry school when other options fall through (again, just my opinion).

I also think your past experience, working with both orthos and pods, is pretty valuable since more and more ortho groups are supposedly hiring pods to join their practices. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of medical procedures do the pods at your ortho clinic predominantly do? How many pods work there? Any information you are willing to divulge about your experiences would be welcomed here.

Thanks and good luck!

Last edited: