shooting at virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twosoakers

Addict & Western U '11
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:31:03 -0400 From: CNN Breaking News <[email protected]> To: [email protected] Reply-to: [email protected] Subject: CNN Breaking News -- One person has been killed and one wounded in a shooting at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia, a state government official tells The Associated Press.

Watch the latest video now on CNN.com. Access at http://CNN.com. CNN -

Members don't see this ad.

one of my friends just found out today that he was accepted for an internship there! i felt bad telling him about the shooting!

now up to 20 dead. I just got accepted of the waitlist on friday and called in today at 8:30. I know a couple people there and this is really tragic. I just got accepted and need to ask some questions. Obviosly this will need to be postponed for a few days. Any thoughts about how to approach comminication. It just seems so insensitive to call and ask routine questions even days or weeks after a tragedy like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
now up to 20 dead. I just got accepted of the waitlist on friday and called in today at 8:30. I know a couple people there and this is really tragic. I just got accepted and need to ask some questions. Obviosly this will need to be postponed for a few days. Any thoughts about how to approach comminication. It just seems so insensitive to call and ask routine questions even days or weeks after a tragedy like this.

I read that classes would be cancelled through Tuesday, so I wouldn't call before then. I would probably wait until the end of the week or even beginning of next week, but they're going to want to get things back to normal too and you need to call to talk to them about possibly becoming a student. I don't think there would be anything wrong with that. As terrible as this is, things have to start getting back on track.

I am a student at Tech now. Classes are canceled for tomorrow but all the administrative stuff is still open and I know for a fact the vet school administration and hospital will be open tomorrow as usual. Things are really crazy right now so you probably won't get very many of your questions answered just because as of right now no one knows anything - they can't even decide if it was just one shooter or more were involved or even if they were students...

I think if you could hold off on asking any questions for a few days that would be best - it will allow people to try and regain their normal routine and it might actually help people gather enough info to answer your questions...

my thoughts and prayers go out to all the people involved and their families...

31, now. how does this happen?

i mis-read the original post - I apologize... I thought you had questions about the school in regards to the shooting...

I would still wait a few days before calling in tho - things are pretty hectic right now and I know a lot of families of current students and even clients have been phoning into the school non-stop with questions...

My SO just got accepted for a PhD program w/ an advisor from the mech eng/biomech eng department...I hope he and every1 else involved are ok...which obviously they are not -not like I wouldn't care otherwise - I can't even imagine how it impacted the campus! I hope it can kick myself out of the pathetic worrying I've been letting myself do lately-by putting things in perspective I mean. I was also thinking about what a crappy time it would be to have your life cut short...busting your butt and going through the daily mental torture to hope after it all you come out on top and have a better life/career b/c of it...it just really sucks.

33 (including gunman)...hope that's it.

Also, heard that they aren't even sure if the first and second shooting were by the same guy. Anyone heard anything different? Hope it was only one gunman...

Prayers go out to VA Tech students and their families.

This is so sad and my heart goes out to all involved and affected. If I'm not mistaken they reported this morning on Good Morning America that this is the second shooting at Virginia Tech in the past year. That is so SCARY! Something needs to be done to better protect the student body.

I was reading about it on the internet. The first shooting there was with a Sheriff. An inmate escaped prison and ended up in that area. He is facing murder charges now. This whole thing is so horrible. It is the largest mass shooting in US history. I just don't know how 1, maybe more, people were able to succeed in killing so many people. You can only imagine how many got injured too. My heart goes out to everyone involved in this horrible mass shooting. The death toll still remains at 33. Hope it doesn't go up from there.:(

I was reading about it on the internet. The first shooting there was with a Sheriff. An inmate escaped prison and ended up in that area. He is facing murder charges now. This whole thing is so horrible. It is the largest mass shooting in US history. I just don't know how 1, maybe more, people were able to succeed in killing so many people. You can only imagine how many got injured too. My heart goes out to everyone involved in this horrible mass shooting. The death toll still remains at 33. Hope it doesn't go up from there.:(

I was just there for the prospective student weekend. It is so scary to think of that beautiful campus being stalked by some deranged killer. Details will unfold but nothing will change the fact that countless innocent people died today.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's a very tragic event. I can't even imagine what those people are going through. But you can't hold it against the school. I've heard great things about that campus. The horrible reality is that this can happen anywhere.
My thoughts are with them.

That's so sad. Is Virginia Tech a big school? The school I went to (Texas A&M) has around 48,000 and it has experienced some pretty crazy criminal events in this semester alone, but nothing like what Virginia Tech is going through. My prayers go out to everyone.

the guy had to be an English major. Sheesh.

Is Virginia Tech a big school?.

I believe I remember hearing at some point that they have about 26K students...which isn't all that huge. I think ~9K actually live on campus though. Very sad indeed. It could have happened anywhere...

I graduated from VA Tech in 2001 (undergrad), and like all alumni and current students am horrified and saddened by yesterday's events. For those of you who have sent in your deposits for VMRCVM, I sincerely hope this shocking incident doesn't deter you from attending a fine school in such a beautiful town.

Blacksburg is a true community in every sense of the word. Life revolves around the university, and the locals are the nicest, kindest, friendliest people you could ever hope to find. This madman could have perpetrated his violence anywhere. That he chose to sully such a beloved institution is heartbreaking and maddening. That he could prevent talented individuals from pursuing their education at said institution is infuriating.

I'm sickened to know that, for the foreseeable future, the words "Virginia Tech" will cause anyone--no matter how remotely removed from the shooting--to feel revulsion, sadness, and horror. I have faith, however, that the community will continue to face this challenge with dignity and a sense of communal pride and hope. I have no doubt that the legacy this will ultimately provide will be one of strength and courage. I hope this tragedy does not deter any of the talented, passionate, brilliant people on this board from considering Blacksburg as the setting for their veterinary education.

What a wonderful statement, alliecat!

I graduated from VA Tech in 2001 (undergrad), and like all alumni and current students am horrified and saddened by yesterday's events. For those of you who have sent in your deposits for VMRCVM, I sincerely hope this shocking incident doesn't deter you from attending a fine school in such a beautiful town.

Blacksburg is a true community in every sense of the word. Life revolves around the university, and the locals are the nicest, kindest, friendliest people you could ever hope to find. This madman could have perpetrated his violence anywhere. That he chose to sully such a beloved institution is heartbreaking and maddening. That he could prevent talented individuals from pursuing their education at said institution is infuriating.

I'm sickened to know that, for the foreseeable future, the words "Virginia Tech" will cause anyone--no matter how remotely removed from the shooting--to feel revulsion, sadness, and horror. I have faith, however, that the community will continue to face this challenge with dignity and a sense of communal pride and hope. I have no doubt that the legacy this will ultimately provide will be one of strength and courage. I hope this tragedy does not deter any of the talented, passionate, brilliant people on this board from considering Blacksburg as the setting for their veterinary education.

I heard on the news that the forensics on the bullets and weapon(s) confirm that it was the same shooter for both locations, and that they've decided it was only one gunman.

It's still 33 I think, and I feel terrible for 32 of them, but I feel horrible for all the families.

One thing that bothers me about the whole thing is that the school let him slip through the cracks like that. Its amazing that someone can be going to college, supposedly getting a "good education", all his teachers know he's crazy, and yet they still promote him from year to year (from what I read, the things he wrote for most of his assignments were the rantings of a raving lunatic, not passable material for an english major) and don't force him to at least take time off? I dont know if that would have solved anything - maybe he would have taken out his rage at a mall instead :( - but how do you get through academic year when all your work is insane and unreadable?

In defense of the teachers/professors, oftentimes our hands are tied when it comes to matters like these. For example, I have a student who I suspect is suicidal, but I can't ask him if he is outright, he has to tell me himself, before I can get the machinery going to get him psych help. Same thing a couple of years ago, I got an essay from a student in reading class that seemed to imply they were being beaten by their father. If there are no bruises and no one admits anything, what can you do? I did report it to the guidance department, but nothing happened on their end either. The only thing we can do as teachers is report what we see, and hope something happens further down the line.

And sadly, some the writing I see, while not violent and sociopathic, is dreadful, and this is from high school seniors. If he had a basic command of the English language he was ahead of half my students! Personally, I am refusing to read any of his stuff, because that is what he wanted us to do.

By the way people, now would be a GREAT time to start volunteering with counseling type services, or get involved with any virginia tech support group.

As a current VT student and VA-MD Class of 2011, I just wanted to say GO HOKIES!