This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekenealy

Reaction score
VMCAS is back! Program-specific materials became available on 5/9/2024 and are due 9/16/2024. Didn't see a thread for this year's applicants to VMCVM and wish everyone the best of luck!

I'm very interested to see that they're re-using the "life motto" prompt, they must have liked the answers. For those of you re-applying this cycle how did you feel about this essay last year? I'm also super excited that they're moving back to in-person interviews for in-state applicants.

About Me: I am a 3rd time, in-state applicant to VMCVM and happy to discuss my experiences! Feel free to reach out to me. Re-applying isn't the end of the world and there is a path ahead.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
VMCAS is back! Program-specific materials became available on 5/9/2024 and are due 9/16/2024. Didn't see a thread for this year's applicants to VMCVM and wish everyone the best of luck!

I'm very interested to see that they're re-using the "life motto" prompt, they must have liked the answers. For those of you re-applying this cycle how did you feel about this essay last year? I'm also super excited that they're moving back to in-person interviews for in-state applicants.

About Me: I am a 3rd time, in-state applicant to VMCVM and happy to discuss my experiences! Feel free to reach out to me. Re-applying isn't the end of the world and there is a path ahead.
Good luck!!! Third times a charm. This past cycle was my third time and I got in!! :)

Hi everyone! I know every year applicants are always wondering when they will hear back from schools. This past cycle we heard if we were offered an interview on 12/4, interviews were through Kira talent in late December, and offers were extended by email on 2/16! Obviously no guarantee that the timeline will stay the same, especially with the change in interviews, but hopefully it will give you somewhat of an idea:)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I know every year applicants are always wondering when they will hear back from schools. This past cycle we heard if we were offered an interview on 12/4, interviews were through Kira talent in late December, and offers were extended by email on 2/16! Obviously no guarantee that the timeline will stay the same, especially with the change in interviews, but hopefully it will give you somewhat of an idea:)
thank you @eleanor713 - absolutely helpful

I am a first-time applicant to Virginia-Maryland (OOS), but this is my second application cycle for vet school. :)

Is it just me or do they no longer require a DVM as a reference? I applied 2019-2022

Is it just me or do they no longer require a DVM as a reference? I applied 2019-2022
According to VMSAR and their website, they do not require a LOR from a veterinarian for this application cycle, but it is "strongly encouraged" that you have one. If you are planning on applying without one, I would consider explaining this in the space for an explanation statement. I hope this helps!

Hi everyone! 3rd time applicant, but 1st time to VMCVM (OOS) :)

Reactions: 1 user
According to VMSAR and their website, they do not require a LOR from a veterinarian for this application cycle, but it is "strongly encouraged" that you have one. If you are planning on applying without one, I would consider explaining this in the space for an explanation statement. I hope this helps!

I’ll have one, I was just surprised it’s no longer a requirement

I’ll have one, I was just surprised it’s no longer a requirement
I hadn't heard about this! That is shocking to me, I wonder what they are hoping to change in the applicant pool by doing so...

I hadn't heard about this! That is shocking to me, I wonder what they are hoping to change in the applicant pool by doing so...
Their approach this cycle is attempting to be more “holistic” but I think it could just cause way more applications being submitted for them. I do think an LOR from a vet should be necessary tbh

They will get many more applications at 100.00 a pop and be able to eliminate ones with no LOR right away. I hate to say it sounds like a money grab, but if it walks like a duck…

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they requiring the casper again this year?
They are not requiring the Casper, but they will have their own situational judgment test, which will open on August 26th and close on September 22nd.
Image 7-28-24 at 6.51 PM.jpeg

I am not sure what the exact format of the test will be, but I hope this helps!

This is my first time applying to VMCVM, my second application cycle overall (sadly no interviews) and I'm hoping that with their more holistic review process, I have a better chance this year. Does anyone know how they changed their requirements vs previous years? I see that there's no GPA requirement, but 60% of the application weight is still academic performance.

Hi everyone- OOS applicant here- I got the email from VMCVM and example questions and directions for their situational judgment test (which will happen between 8/26-922/24). I understand some of the reasoning behind whether choosing SLIGHTLY DESIRABLE OVER EXTREMELY DESIRABLE etc... But some are a bit confusing as why SLIGHTLY DESIRABLE was chosen over NEITHER .....- has anyone read over the examples and have any input? I did read their explanations- but when I went through the questions and correct answers- some of them were difficult to determine the difference between why one answer over another....I am trying to find a trend or 'reason' to help me decide on the actual test (which is 20 questions- to be answered in 60 minutes- so that is only 3 mins per question- not much!!)- but haven't found any- any suggestions?

Hi everyone- OOS applicant here- I got the email from VMCVM and example questions and directions for their situational judgment test (which will happen between 8/26-922/24). I understand some of the reasoning behind whether choosing SLIGHTLY DESIRABLE OVER EXTREMELY DESIRABLE etc... But some are a bit confusing as why SLIGHTLY DESIRABLE was chosen over NEITHER .....- has anyone read over the examples and have any input? I did read their explanations- but when I went through the questions and correct answers- some of them were difficult to determine the difference between why one answer over another....I am trying to find a trend or 'reason' to help me decide on the actual test (which is 20 questions- to be answered in 60 minutes- so that is only 3 mins per question- not much!!)- but haven't found any- any suggestions?
I scored the best percentile on CASPR last year and after going thru the sample questions VMCVM sent out I am extremely confused lol. Just my opinion but it doesn’t seem like a great way to organize an SJT. ://

I scored the best percentile on CASPR last year and after going thru the sample questions VMCVM sent out I am extremely confused lol. Just my opinion but it doesn’t seem like a great way to organize an SJT. ://
Thanks for your answer. And great job on CASPER- I took it this year in June and got 4th quartile too- but this new judgment test is a little strange and seems contradicting in some examples.

When programs release i compiled all the questions in a word document and didn't write the character limits down. my issue isn't that i am over the 5000 character limit but for the motto question i only have 300 characters. do i need to write more and get closer to the 5000? or is it okay?

Does the SJT have video components or is it just written?

Does the SJT have video components or is it just written?

My feeling is that your video is on for the proctor to make sure nobody cheats but the video isn’t actually a part of what they see or evaluate. But, I’m not 100% sure. I’m going to take it today and can report back if there’s a video component.

My feeling is that your video is on for the proctor to make sure nobody cheats but the video isn’t actually a part of what they see or evaluate. But, I’m not 100% sure. I’m going to take it today and can report back if there’s a video component.
Awesome thanks! I’m just wondering if it’s like the Casper where you answer some of the questions through video

Hi! I took the assessment. It's exactly like the sample questions they gave us, so no video responses involved. Your webcam is on and monitoring you during it, but only serving as a proctor and it says that part is not a part of the evaluation, etc. So, you can dress comfy :) Make sure you have your ID ready to go because you have to scan it before you begin. Good luck!

Hi! I took the assessment. It's exactly like the sample questions they gave us, so no video responses involved. Your webcam is on and monitoring you during it, but only serving as a proctor and it says that part is not a part of the evaluation, etc. So, you can dress comfy :) Make sure you have your ID ready to go because you have to scan it before you begin. Good luck!
Hi! What sample question were you given? I received the email to complete the SJT by 9/22, but there were no samples. I’d like to see samples before taking. Thanks!

Where did you find example questions? I received my email to complete the assessment, but there weren’t any samples included in the invite email. Thanks.

Hi! What sample question were you given? I received the email to complete the SJT by 9/22, but there were no samples. I’d like to see samples before taking. Thanks!
There was an email sent before the one that invites applicants to complete the SJT. The email title was "More Information on the Situational Judgement Test for VMCVM." Could it be in your spam folder?

Hi guys! Does anyone know if the SJT is due at 11:59 PM on Saturday the 21st or Sunday the 22nd? The email just states the 22nd and I was planning on taking it early in the morning on Sunday the 22nd due to work, but wanna make sure that I don’t miss the deadline

Hi guys! Does anyone know if the SJT is due at 11:59 PM on Saturday the 21st or Sunday the 22nd? The email just states the 22nd and I was planning on taking it early in the morning on Sunday the 22nd due to work, but wanna make sure that I don’t miss the deadline
It is due the 22nd so anytime between 12am to 11:59 pm on the 22nd you can turn it in. I have not seen a specified time.

I really liked this SJT compared to the Casper. I hope more schools who currently do the Casper switch to something like this. It seemed much more relevant to vet med and being a vet student!

I really liked this SJT compared to the Casper. I hope more schools who currently do the Casper switch to something like this. It seemed much more relevant to vet med and being a vet student!

I enjoyed it, but I definitely struggled with it a bit even after using the practice questions. I felt like I needed more context to feel confident in my answer. How i’m feeling is probably normal (I believe it even addressed this in the instructions) though and an intended aspect of the test.

I enjoyed it, but I definitely struggled with it a bit even after using the practice questions. I felt like I needed more context to feel confident in my answer. How i’m feeling is probably normal (I believe it even addressed this in the instructions) though and an intended aspect of the test.
Yeah I definitely struggled with second guessing myself

Just curious, does anyone know if we get a score or anything back on the SJT? I would love to know how I did.

HI!! First time out of state applicant here! I was wondering if you could tell me when they start sending out rejections/ interviews. They did still use the "life motto" promo as well!

HI!! First time out of state applicant here! I was wondering if you could tell me when they start sending out rejections/ interviews. They did still use the "life motto" promo as well!
Hello! I think rejections/interviews tend to get sent out within the first two weeks of December - Friday 12/9/22 and Monday 12/4/23 were when I got my emails from VMCVM. Best of luck!