Shots WW Sign Ups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This thread is madness, if I replied to every person pronouncing things wrong then I'd add another two pages like the ones that magically appeared today
It's not wrong, you just live on the other side of the pin-pen line.
interesting reading if you happen to be a closet linguistics nerd.

the only person who is wrong is that one coworker i had years ago who somehow managed to get egg and bag to rhyme by pronouncing them ayg and bayg.

Edit to make it game sign-up relevant: yes, this is what I'm like when i've had a few shots.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not wrong, you just live on the other side of the pin-pen line.
interesting reading if you happen to be a closet linguistics nerd.

the only person who is wrong is that one coworker i had years ago who somehow managed to get egg and bag to rhyme by pronouncing them ayg and bayg.

Edit to make it game sign-up relevant: yes, this is what I'm like when i've had a few shots.

I can see ayg, but bayg is an atrocity.
 
It's not wrong, you just live on the other side of the pin-pen line.
interesting reading if you happen to be a closet linguistics nerd.

the only person who is wrong is that one coworker i had years ago who somehow managed to get egg and bag to rhyme by pronouncing them ayg and bayg.

Edit to make it game sign-up relevant: yes, this is what I'm like when i've had a few shots.
Finally had the time to read this through and
Ace Linguist said:
The most important thing to notice about the pin-pen merger is that it only happens before nasals. This means that "pit" and "pet" are unaffected by the merger. Only "n" and "m" are really affected, since there are not many words ending in "eng".
I feel so seen.
 
It's not wrong, you just live on the other side of the pin-pen line.
interesting reading if you happen to be a closet linguistics nerd.

the only person who is wrong is that one coworker i had years ago who somehow managed to get egg and bag to rhyme by pronouncing them ayg and bayg.

Edit to make it game sign-up relevant: yes, this is what I'm like when i've had a few shots.

Happy birthday gengen which rhymes with pen!
 
Okay but some of those sound like jinny and some of those sound like jenny so I'm still just as confused
Also I don’t understand if genny means the proper way to say it is the southern way or if she means it rhymes with whinny when said with that vowel merger 🙁 I still don’t know how to say genny
 
Wait now I get how you were reading bayg (like “bay” plus a g), and I don’t pronounce it like that, but it is a diphthong of bah-yg

Edit: And egg is a diphthong of eh-yg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad