Should I accept ACOM or VCOM-Auburn and should I attend other interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NurseCapitanKirk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I have been accepted to ACOM and VCOM- Auburn and still have interviews at LECOM-B, CUSOM, and WCUCOM. I know that ACOM and VCOM-Auburn are newer schools but which one of the two do you recommend me accepting due to my other interviews being past the down payment due date? Also, Should I go on to the other interviews? Thank you so much for the help, you guys truly are very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose ACOM from your current acceptances. If money isn't a problem, I would go interview LECOM-B also and see how that goes. Med school by the beach sounds enticing to me. As for ACOM, they have pretty good rotations and are on a quick come up in turns of DO status I have read.

Reactions: 1 users
So far I have been accepted to ACOM and VCOM- Auburn and still have interviews at LECOM-B, CUSOM, and WCUCOM. I know that ACOM and VCOM-Auburn are newer schools but which one of the two do you recommend me accepting due to my other interviews being past the down payment due date? Also, Should I go on to the other interviews? Thank you so much for the help, you guys truly are very helpful!

ACOM. Better hold on clinical rotations.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What are the reasons to go to the interview in LECOM-B? What would they provide over a school like ACOM?

I concur with what others have said. I couldn't be happier to start next fall at ACOM! I interviewed at LECOM-SH (PBL pathway as well) and it honestly wasn't for me. I have always pictured medical in a totally different setting than what was offered there. After interviewing at several other places I decided I would only go there if it was my only acceptance. That being said if you have the funds, check out LECOM-B! The cheap tuition is definitely a huge plus as well as location, and if you feel like PBL is for you, then all the better!!

p.s. congrats on the acceptances!

Reactions: 3 users
What are the reasons to go to the interview in LECOM-B? What would they provide over a school like ACOM?

I can only seen LECOM-B offering you two things:
1) Freedom of educational pathway (LBL or PBL)
2) Freedom of clinical rotation sites (can rotate across states or what not).

IMO Lecom-b offers very little beyond that. They almost take pride in the fact that they have no research resources for their students (they tell students who want to do research to go to a different school) and the ability to get real clinical exposure in first and second year is zilch. Doesn't mean they don't put out good docs and doesn't mean you can't do research third and fourth year, it's just a pain to not even have it your first two years if you're interested in it.

Last edited:
I got accepted at CUSOM, ACOM, LECOM-B, LECOM-SH, TOURO-Middeltown, and decided to chose LECOM-B, I loved ACOM, but I couldnt see myself living in Alabama, location mattered to me, and LECOM-B had the best location out of all the schools, I also liked the concept of PBL, I also love how it was cheapest school, so LECOM-B seemed like the best choice too me!

So for people that have been to CUSOM, what are the positives and negatives from your perspective about this school? I know they are new too but why should I look at them?

So for people that have been to CUSOM, what are the positives and negatives from your perspective about this school? I know they are new too but why should I look at them?

I interviewed there, and was about to go to the school, but I decided to go to LECOM-B..

PROS:
- Excellent faculty, everyone was really sweet
- Nice facilities, nice campus
- Nice Sim center
- Cheap Cost of living
- Affiliated with Campbell University,, can use their facilities

CONS:
- Mandatory Lecture
- Pricey (45k at CUSOM vs 33k at LECOM-B)
- LOCATION, was a major deal breaker for me, I LOVE North Carolina, my aunt lives in RALEIGH, but this town was very rural, even the presenter at the interview said its the middle of nowhere, you have to drive 45 minutes to go to Raleigh, which as a premed- you cant do it always... The town was unimpressive, but people were very nice.. It legit is in the middle of nowhere
- Still new school, no match list, not fully accreditted, but honestly they will get acreddited

Overall, I liked the school, but I do feel like this school is a tad bit over-represented on SDN, I expected more from the school, I wasnt completely sold on what people on this forum were saying, but its a great school for sure, but I felt it wasnt worth it, for the extra pirice, if I got the schoalrship I wouldve attended there!

I picked CUSOM over ACOM and LECOM-B. No regrets. The Campbell interview impressed me, and I'm pretty happy with my educational experience so far. I also really love my classmates. Med school has been a lot of fun so far because I'm with good people.

At ACOM, you wouldn't be close to a major academic research center like you are at CUSOM. ACOM is not affiliated with a university, which means you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the resources provided by an undergrad campus.

Another positive aspect of attending Campbell is that there are conferences in Raleigh, and opportunities to make connections with physicians at Duke and UNC. CUSOM also has its rotations already set up, although I believe ACOM does as well through the hospitals its affiliated with.

Campbell already has ongoing research. Not sure if they have research opportunities yet at ACOM.

LECOM-B requires you to set up your own rotations. Decided that wasn't an undertaking I wanted to deal with come third year. I also didn't get a warm vibe at all during the interview day. There's much less of a sense of community, likely because students aren't forced to spend time together like they are here at Campbell, haha. You'd have to ask a current student more about that aspect of LECOM, though.

Good luck on the interview trail. :thumbup:

Last edited:
That's so weird I literally had all the same interviews as you with the addition of NSU :wideyed:

At that, I really recommend you visit LECOM-B and CUSOM if the funds are available! Both are great programs, they just offer/don't have certain things. Like @crazyboi1993 I was torn between CUSOM and LECOM-B and ended up putting a deposit down for LECOM-B. CUSOM was a wonderful school I too just couldn't justify the higher price for such a new school it was and being that far away from family in a rural setting. LECOM-B has great pros, but is also definitely has it's cons. If I don't get accepted to NSU and end up going to LECOM-B I won't have any regrets going there regardless of the cons - it can produce great docs regardless of some things the school lacks.

Goodluck in your process!

Last edited:
I just received an interview request at KYCOM, what are your thoughts on the school? Should I accept the interview? I just don't know how it would be to live there for at least two years. Anybody go to school there and can comment?

I say your good with ACOM.. Go to the cusom interview maybe but I wouldn't choose kycom over ACOM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you say that? KYCOM is way more established and has a beautiful new state of the art facility. Just truly curious as to why to mark them off so quickly?

VCOM Auburn all the way. great facilities at both schools but Auburn is a college town better location more culture

ACOM: solid hold on clinical rotations. No research.

Vcom auburn: I thought it was joke. Extra mandatory FM rotations. They push hard for FM. Not primary care, but specifically FM. Possible elusive research opportunities. I don't think the affiliation is really all that great with auburn. Also, ACOM has all of Alabamas best rotations.

Cusom: I liked it okay, but I don't see why SDN is hyping this school up so much. It's worth checking out though. The thing that irked me about it was I couldn't get any straight answers about their clinical rotations. Possible scholarship opportunities make it worth checking out though.

Wcu: do not bother attending this interview. Wcu is glad lucom opened so everyone would forget how bad wcu is.

LECOM-B: most established school on your list. Also the cheapest. I gather that you're a nurse from your username. You might really like PBL since you get to approach the basic sciences from a clinical problem point-of-view. They do a mock PBL at the interview so you can see if it's your thing. Shaky clinicals and bare bones facilities are common amongst the LECOMs. You don't need state of the art facilities to be a good doctor, but I didn't want to have to deal with a potential rotation being dropped at the last second. I think it's probably exaggerated on SDN, but it does happen. That would be stressful, but you can't beat that price and PBL rocks!

For the reasons listed above, and guessing that you're from the southeast (since wcu gave you an II) and probably Alabama (since you've been accepted to the two schools in the state) I'd recommend ACOM unless you think you could thrive in PBL in which case I'd go LECOM. I don't think cusom is better than ACOM. I think cusom has nicer facilities than ACOM, but that stuff isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Congrats on such a successful cycle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's cool to see a bunch of familiar people here. I too spent the last few months deciding whether I would go to LECOM-B, ACOM, or CUSOM.
My advice is to simply go with whichever simply feels the most at home. I got the strongest feeling that all three offer an outstanding education, and honestly I loved them all so much my indecision wasn't based so much on worries about potential negatives but rather FOMO because I wanted to experience all three.
If it helps, I chose CUSOM, and mainly because they offered a scholarship. However, I still strongly recommend ACOM and LECOM-B....without a doubt those are your three strongest schools at this point. Skip WCU.

VCOM Auburn all the way. great facilities at both schools but Auburn is a college town better location more culture

I really liked the school but in terms of preparations for the comlex and board exams, ACOM seems better prepared. Also, the numerous amounts of hospital contracts for 3rd and 4th year rotations provided by ACOM is amazing for such a new school. However, if VCOM-Auburn was the only school I was accepted to I would be very happy. In time it will be a great program!

Vcom auburn: I thought it was joke. Extra mandatory FM rotations. They push hard for FM. Not primary care, but specifically FM. Possible elusive research opportunities. I don't think the affiliation is really all that great with auburn. Also, ACOM has all of Alabamas best rotations.

Cusom: I liked it okay, but I don't see why SDN is hyping this school up so much. It's worth checking out though. The thing that irked me about it was I couldn't get any straight answers about their clinical rotations. Possible scholarship opportunities make it worth checking out though.

Wcu: do not bother attending this interview. Wcu is glad lucom opened so everyone would forget how bad wcu is.

LECOM-B: most established school on your list. Also the cheapest. I gather that you're a nurse from your username. You might really like PBL since you get to approach the basic sciences from a clinical problem point-of-view. They do a mock PBL at the interview so you can see if it's your thing. Shaky clinicals and bare bones facilities are common amongst the LECOMs. You don't need state of the art facilities to be a good doctor, but I didn't want to have to deal with a potential rotation being dropped at the last second. I think it's probably exaggerated on SDN, but it does happen. That would be stressful, but you can't beat that price and PBL rocks!

For the reasons listed above, and guessing that you're from the southeast (since wcu gave you an II) and probably Alabama (since you've been accepted to the two schools in the state) I'd recommend ACOM unless you think you could thrive in PBL in which case I'd go LECOM. I don't think cusom is better than ACOM. I think cusom has nicer facilities than ACOM, but that stuff isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Thank you for the thorough reply and yes, as of now I am looking at ACOM as my first choice until the next couple interviews.

It's cool to see a bunch of familiar people here. I too spent the last few months deciding whether I would go to LECOM-B, ACOM, or CUSOM.
My advice is to simply go with whichever simply feels the most at home. I got the strongest feeling that all three offer an outstanding education, and honestly I loved them all so much my indecision wasn't based so much on worries about potential negatives but rather FOMO because I wanted to experience all three.
If it helps, I chose CUSOM, and mainly because they offered a scholarship. However, I still strongly recommend ACOM and LECOM-B....without a doubt those are your three strongest schools at this point. Skip WCU.

Congrats on the multiple offers! Not to be too specific, but was the scholarship substantial? Also, is the scholarship renewable every year?

Just wanted to thank you guys for all the helpful replies! This has been such a big help and really identifies the strengths of the schools I am looking at most closely. Just an update, I have been offered a interview at WVSOM!! I know this school has a great history of producing great physicians. Also, the facilities there look amazing and being close to the greenbriar is definitely a plus. What are your thoughts on WVSOM and if accepted would you rate ACOM, CUSOM, and WVSOM?

I'd also think about whether you want to do research or not, if you're comparing CUSOM and ACOM. They might have set up research at ACOM since I interviewed there 1 year ago, but they had told me it was "in the works."

I'd also think about whether you want to do research or not, if you're comparing CUSOM and ACOM. They might have set up research at ACOM since I interviewed there 1 year ago, but they had told me it was "in the works."

I did an admissions tour, an open house, and an interview at ACOM. Each several months apart. Here's the gist of how those went:

Admissions tour: we're going to build a state of the art research center it's going to have [insert things to impress premeds] and it'll be ready in time for anyone admitted into the next class!

Months later...

Open house: okay, so some stuff got pushed back with the research center, but it's still happening and should be ready for the next class!

Months later...

Interview: so we have this part of the third floor full of boxes and we thought hey lets just do some research here

Don't count on research at ACOM.

Just wanted to thank you guys for all the helpful replies! This has been such a big help and really identifies the strengths of the schools I am looking at most closely. Just an update, I have been offered a interview at WVSOM!! I know this school has a great history of producing great physicians. Also, the facilities there look amazing and being close to the greenbriar is definitely a plus. What are your thoughts on WVSOM and if accepted would you rate ACOM, CUSOM, and WVSOM?

I have a friend at WVSOM and he absolutely loves it, loves the campus feel.

I did an admissions tour, an open house, and an interview at ACOM. Each several months apart. Here's the gist of how those went:

Admissions tour: we're going to build a state of the art research center it's going to have [insert things to impress premeds] and it'll be ready in time for anyone admitted into the next class!

Months later...

Open house: okay, so some stuff got pushed back with the research center, but it's still happening and should be ready for the next class!

Months later...

Interview: so we have this part of the third floor full of boxes and we thought hey lets just do some research here

I was wondering what happened with all the news regarding the research center. That's too bad.

don't know why people would choose LECOM-B..... The rotation, one of the most important parts of med school, has a very bad rep. I rather pay extra to get a better hands on experience.

the scholarship for CUSOM i think is like 10k off tuition and the other one is like 20 k off tuition. If you search the CUSOM thread Im sure you can find that info. Just search "scholarship" or something to that effect. You must have a certain gpa/mcat to be offered the scholarships and you must maintain certain grades while in school to keep the scholarship. Thats the extent of what I know.

You can search "WVSOM vs CUSOM" for example and threads will probably pop up. I think most people will say WVSOM since its more established. I think others will say CUSOM if you get the scholarship.

Months later...

Months later...

I was wondering what happened with all the news regarding the research center. That's too bad.

When I went for my interview there, they told me the 3rd floor was being converted into a PBL room. So yeah, I don't know about research at ACOM. I'm confident the professors there can help you find outside research opportunities, but it's still harder than having research there. Who knows, maybe by the time the next class starts they'll have made progress!

Construction for the research has started and will be complete by the end of July. There was a big push by students/faculty members that have research interests. They will start immediately for those who have projects ready.

Construction for the research has started and will be complete by the end of July. There was a big push by students/faculty members that have research interests. They will start immediately for those who have projects ready.
Did ground breaking for the research center already occur?

Did ground breaking for the research center already occur?

The third floor is becoming the research facility and there will be a PBL room. Plenty of space to house the current faculty members (obv. new school, low amount of faculty) for their current ambitions.

The third floor is becoming the research facility and there will be a PBL room. Plenty of space to house the current faculty members (obv. new school, low amount of faculty) for their current ambitions.

Nice!

What happened to the donation for a research center a few minths back?

Is that money going to the third floor?

Nice!

What happened to the donation for a research center a few minths back?

Is that money going to the third floor?

Honestly I am not 100% sure but they will need to put in all necessary structures for the 3rd floor and buy all equipment. If i remember the grant was 800k or so. My guess is they will have no problem spending that on tools alone

Honestly I am not 100% sure but they will need to put in all necessary structures for the 3rd floor and buy all equipment. If i remember the grant was 800k or so. My guess is they will have no problem spending that on tools alone

500K can be used on one confocal microscope by itself! Im sure theyll do great building the third floor. ACOM was actually one of the schools I was highly interested in attending.

Congrats on the multiple offers! Not to be too specific, but was the scholarship substantial? Also, is the scholarship renewable every year?

I saw it mentioned earlier, but the options are 10,000 a year or 20,000 a year.

Excited to interview at ACOM on the 12th. I've heard tons of good things about the school and it's great to see that research will be ramping up there.

Reactions: 4 users
Excited to interview at ACOM on the 12th. I've heard tons of good things about the school and it's great to see that research will be ramping up there.

Bump this thread when you do. I'm really curious to see how the research is coming along.

I loved it there! They really seem to have a great thing going! I interviewed in mid September and the third floor was still pretty barren but, (like others have stated) they have plans for research/team based problem solving exercises! I'm really excited to be apart of ACOM next year! Also, best of luck at your interview!

Reactions: 5 users
So I enjoyed my interview at CUSOM and really enjoyed the interview. Their SIM lab is the best one I have ever seen. However, I still think I like ACOM better. I head to my interview at WVSOM next week, any advice there? Additionally, I was offered an interview at PNWU in Washington state, should I take the interview? If anyone has interviewed there, please tell me the pros and cons of PNWU?

Honestly with the schools you have interviewed at and the acceptances you have I think it will come down to if you want to live in Washington. PNWU has a good reputation up there but I don't the the pros there will outweigh any of the pros for your other schools. You are having a solid cycle! :thumbup:

In my opinion, having lived in Yakima, I would take ACOM, WVSOM, and CUSOM over PWNU honestly. Yakima is a pretty rough town. But who knows, if you can see yourself maybe going there then go to the interview. At this point you can pretty much do whatever you want:highfive:

Honestly with the schools you have interviewed at and the acceptances you have I think it will come down to if you want to live in Washington. PNWU has a good reputation up there but I don't the the pros there will outweigh any of the pros for your other schools. You are having a solid cycle! :thumbup:

In my opinion, having lived in Yakima, I would take ACOM, WVSOM, and CUSOM over PWNU honestly. Yakima is a pretty rough town. But who knows, if you can see yourself maybe going there then go to the interview. At this point you can pretty much do whatever you want:highfive:

I agree with the town of yakima. I have been there for a month long mission trip and it was beautiful but a different lifestyle. I was just curious about the school and if it would provide a better education and preperation for residency. Anyone attend there and have any reason for me to take the interview threre?

I agree with the town of yakima. I have been there for a month long mission trip and it was beautiful but a different lifestyle. I was just curious about the school and if it would provide a better education and preperation for residency. Anyone attend there and have any reason for me to take the interview threre?

From what I've read, it seems most D.O schools will provide you with the education necessary to do well on the boards (- lucom). From there it seems to be about choosing what small perks work for you in regards to each school; do you want to have freedom 4th year to pursue an EM or surgery residency or are you content with going to a school like kycom where there rotations are designed to produce PCPs.

I'd answer some of these questions and then go to the school you feel most comfortable with and could see yourself being successful at!

Reading all of the good things being said about CUSOM...... maybe it was a bad idea to cancel my interview there (LOL my gf found out I was meeting up with my wealthy ex, her mother is a derm and lives close to CUSOM)

If you have the funds and time, I would attend PNWU, LECOM-B, CUSOM, and WCUCOM.

If you like a small rural city, forestry type settings.....then KYCOM and WVSOM is up your alley but very mission driven.

Wouldn't bother with WCU.

Man, congrats on all these interviews! You're a rockstar. I chose CUSOM over VCOM-Auburn and William Carey and retracted my application from LECOM-B because PBL ain't my style and neither is setting up my own rotations. But I'm from Florida so that was hard as hell to do. I didn't apply to any schools north of CUSOM because of weather purposes (such a Florida thing to do). I loved the feel of CUSOM so much that I knew I'd enjoy my time there. If most things are considered equal (like cost of attendance, cost of living, and education received) then you really do have to go with where you think you'd fit in best. Go with the school you can't stop thinking about.

Man, congrats on all these interviews! You're a rockstar. I chose CUSOM over VCOM-Auburn and William Carey and retracted my application from LECOM-B because PBL ain't my style and neither is setting up my own rotations. But I'm from Florida so that was hard as hell to do. I didn't apply to any schools north of CUSOM because of weather purposes (such a Florida thing to do). I loved the feel of CUSOM so much that I knew I'd enjoy my time there. If most things are considered equal (like cost of attendance, cost of living, and education received) then you really do have to go with where you think you'd fit in best. Go with the school you can't stop thinking about.

We are cut from the same cloth, hah! It's still too cold in NC, but better than it would be farther North.

ACOM was impressive. I would've probably enjoyed being there, too.

I do love NC and my classmates, so no regrets.

EDIT:

posted response in wrong thread lol.

Last edited:
So I enjoyed my interview at CUSOM and really enjoyed the interview. Their SIM lab is the best one I have ever seen. However, I still think I like ACOM better. I head to my interview at WVSOM next week, any advice there? Additionally, I was offered an interview at PNWU in Washington state, should I take the interview? If anyone has interviewed there, please tell me the pros and cons of PNWU?

Is the CUSOM sim lab that much different from others? I didn't know there was anything unusual about it.