Should I apply 2017/2018 cycle? Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UtahMan2794

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be that guy that asks on this thread but i'm having a real crisis here. I'm on the fence on applying this coming cycle yet not sure if it's worth it with my stats. For those that have gone through this any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

So my stats..
3.05 oGPA
3.26 sGPA
50 hours of shadowing 3 GPs, 2 Periodontists, 1 Endodontist
2 years, ~1200hrs in research
3 various leadership opportunities
~70 hours community service
First gen. college student coming from Mexican-immigrant parents.
Worked 2 jobs ~50 hrs/week for 4 years

Any and all advice is welcome as to whether or not I should, which type of school I should look into, what final things I should do.

With the cycle soon coming up I wish all the new applicants good luck!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

How did you do on the DAT? That is a major factor with the low GPA. Impossible to say without knowing the DAT.

as @Wolfbarker said, we cant know what your stance is 100% without your DAT scores. However be prepared to have at least a 22+ DAT score (if not higher tbh) to offset your GPA. Even then I'd be worried about how competitive you are. Potentially look into post-bacc or master programs OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you do on the DAT? That is a major factor with the low GPA. Impossible to say without knowing the DAT.
I haven't taken the real thing yet, yet i'm consistently scoring in the 22-23 range every time. I've taken 3 full length tests now and plan on taking the real on in mid june.