Should I apply next year or year after?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow, we have very similar stories. Also involved with Soma, you know what your are doing. I'm sure you will have no problem getting accepted.(assuming good mcat)

I'll be applying both medically and economically disadvantaged. I grew up in a 3rd world country. I'm also Hispanic.

With a decent MCAT, apply when YOU decide. Apply MD too if you want. You have a lot going for you, and I can tell you're dedicated to being a physician. Just make that known to the AdComs and you will get a lot of love. I have no doubt that you will get in somewhere whenever you choose to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im hispanic too! (not gonna get much love no sweet pic)

So in your opinion, you think I'll be fine with the timing I have? You don't think I should take a few courses at a 4-year?

You said you have a BA? I didn't know u could get a BA from a CC? I still think that you have a good chance without having to take classes from a 4-year. But taking upper div's would definitely help you out with showing that you can handle the material.

I think I'll let more people chime in, as I'm not too experienced in this area.

Triage,
So you're working on science pre-req's now, and you'll will be finished with them spring semester next year? Or still taking them through the application cycle next year? Are you taking them at a university? Just trying to clarify... it may help others with advice.

Will taking the classes + your volunteer work interfere with your MCAT studying? That's probably your biggest concern... While a longer EC history is helpful, it's not going to trump a good MCAt score, since you already have good EC history.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you feel like you can get a good MCAT score, you should be good to apply next year. If holding off an additional year will enable better concentration for the MCAT, then that would probably be better. You could apply to one school, and then if you don't get the MCAT where you want it, hold off applying to the other schools untill the next cycle and a better MCAT. :thumbup:

if you feel like you can get a good MCAT score, you should be good to apply next year. If holding off an additional year will enable better concentration for the MCAT, then that would probably be better.

The key right now is your MCAT. If you feel you can do well, apply sooner than later...

i agree with the above. If you get a good MCAT there is no reason for you to have to wait another year to apply. You seem to have all the ECs and academics in order just nail the test and you will be a doctor a year earlier.:luck:

I will have all D.O. prerequisites done but 1 class done by Spring 2012. If I choose to apply MD (primarily in my home state of California), I'll be missing 2 or 3 prerequisites (depending on the school).

I'm fortunate enough to be volunteering Friday nights and Saturday morning, so it doesn't eat up my time. I technically could be done with all classes in the Spring of 2012, but I'm holding off on 1 to have time for the MCAT.

And unfortunately, I'm taking all prerequisites at a community college. It's nearly impossible in the bay area to take informal classes at a 4-year. The post-bacc programs are 15k a year.

You don't have to have the pre-reqs done before you apply. You can continue to complete pre-reqs during the application cycle. Just nail the MCAT then apply next year for sure.

are you taking the mcat before you finish your pre-reqs?

I would only be missing the second part of O.Chem. I'd be taking it (MCAT) during the same time as my second class of Biology, but that's not a problem. I've studied enough biology on my own to know I can tackle the MCAT. I took a few MCAT bio practice tests and was scoring 11+ consistently in that section.

What are you practice full length scores in each section, and total?

I haven't done any of the Physics/Chem ones. I tried some verbal ones. On Kaplan I had a 10. On gold standard an 8 and a 9. On EK I got 11 three times. No studying for verbal or anything.

When I did the bio ones, they weren't "real" full because they didn't contain any organic passages, so I have no idea on organic.

Take Full length bios before you think you know bio, many passages sometimes incorporate bio+orgo... you should know this by now:cool:

I don't think it is necessary to complete all the pre-req courses before taking the MCAT so long as you can self-teach the areas you are missing. I know several people who took it without having taken OrgoII and they rocked it...but they are also strong at self teaching. Plus if you rock those sections on the test and haven't taken the classes yet when you are applying...the schools will know you already can handle the material. If it were me I would focus on the MCAT and if I get a good score I would apply this upcoming cycle. Plus you have an interesting background and success story that will say lots about your character and potential to adcoms.

Once you get your MCAT score you will have a better idea of where you stand for this upcoming cycle...until then it is all speculation and mystery. :)

Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to be delayed or apply late. I didn't make it from the waiting list into my Organic Chemistry class. It sucks. I really don't think I can take the MCAT with no O. Chem background at all.

last year i would have said you could, but my most recent mcat had a ton of orgo. probably a good plan.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to be delayed or apply late. I didn't make it from the waiting list into my Organic Chemistry class. It sucks. I really don't think I can take the MCAT with no O. Chem background at all.

Ohhh for some reason I thought you had taken the first orgo class already that was why I said you'd be fine self-teaching orgo II. But yah with no orgo exposure it is prob good idea to wait until you finish orgo I.

It is tough, I also work full-time, as engineer, and took post-bacc classes at night and studied for MCAT at same time. I guess it is all about limits and what you can handle at one time (I had no life!!). I do wish I had had more time to study for my MCAT to get a better score but I am considered an "older" applicant since I've been out of school for a few years and so wanted to get this show on the road. But in retrospect...what is waiting and preparing one more year if that puts you on a better road to a career you will love doing for 20-30+ years and your choice of schools to attend.