Should I apply now before OChem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldreaming

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating applying this year or waiting until another session. Currently enrolled in self-paced organic chemistry (1 and 2) this summer. Hope to finish it by mid July and take DAT late July.

Would I be better off taking more time to study for the DAT and have a later application or should I take it late July? I'm not working this summer which gives me good amount of time to study both.

Overall GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Shadowing Hours: 120
Extracurriculars: 4 officer positions in college clubs, lots of involvement
Research: 6 week intensive research position in high school on plant DNA
Letters of Rec: Mainly all completed. They'll be ready to go by June 1.
Personal Statement: Completed and strong. I've had multiple different people read over it.
Practice DAT: Around 17s for all. This is without studying, and I'll have a little time to study between organic chemistry classes!

Any help/advice is very appreciated!

EDIT: I still have to take biochemistry, a biology, and both physics. I am a rising senior.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What year are you?

You definitely don't have to have all the pre reqs done before applying, but the more the better. Some schools also require biochem so if you haven't taken orgo 2 yet then I doubt you've taken that.

That being said, you seem to be a sharp girl given your gpa, so studying for the dat shouldn't be too bad especially since you'll just be finishing orgo. Some people take 3 weeks to study and do well. I took three months. All depends on your background.

Couple things:
  • You're grades are good, so you'll get in somewhere. The earlier you apply, the better chances you'll have to get into a more desirable school. Some schools only interview pre december 1st. So if you end up having to push your DAT back into August, then you may be shooting yourself in the foot for these schools.
  • Have you already asked your professors/dentist for letters of recommendation and collected them? If not, better get to asking. Some take a frustratingly long time to get back to you.
  • How opposed are you to taking a gap year? I'm assuming you're a junior right now. I'm in my gap year at the moment and love it. Making some money and traveling all over the world. Not sure I'd ever have the chance to do this again, plus I felt like I'd burn out if I went straight into D school from undergrad.
  • You should take a practice DAT test to see where you are and gauge how much you need to study. I believe the first practice test from Bootcamp is free. So that would be a good place to start.
Overall: Decide whether or not you want to take a gap year. If no, then I would immediately start studying for the DAT (lots of random bio things you need to know), start AADSAS app when it opens, request letters and upload or have them sent to AADSAS, write and upload personal statement, apply to schools, finish orgo, take dat, send unofficial score report to schools while waiting for official report to be uploaded, and then hopefully start the interview process. In that order.

If you want to take a gap year, then I would just take a breath and space all that stuff out until applying in the next cycle.

Last edited:
I would personally recommend not rushing yourself. Your grades are great, but the DAT is an important application factor as well. I needed 5 months to study for the DAT and in the end my DAT was incredibly average. Like Roy Williams said, everyone is different! You may only need a week to study...while Joe Blow needs 6 months.

***!!!HOWEVER!!!*** The bigger question remains... are you going to be able to realistically 1) write a killer personal statement, 2) study for the DAT, 3) do well in your OChem classes, 4) prepare your application, and 5) organize your letters of recommendation (simultaneously) before the time you want to apply? The application is just not numbers. It requires preparation and meticulous organization so you can advertise yourself best on the application. These things all need to be done well, so if you can't focus your attention in all areas 100% I would absolutely wait until the next cycle. It is better to put your best foot forward during your first application cycle rather than working to rewrite your entire application as a reapplicant. Do it right the first time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would personally recommend not rushing yourself. Your grades are great, but the DAT is an important application factor as well. I needed 5 months to study for the DAT and in the end my DAT was incredibly average. Like Roy Williams said, everyone is different! You may only need a week to study...while Joe Blow needs 6 months.

***!!!HOWEVER!!!*** The bigger question remains... are you going to be able to realistically 1) write a killer personal statement, 2) study for the DAT, 3) do well in your OChem classes, 4) prepare your application, and 5) organize your letters of recommendation (simultaneously) before the time you want to apply? The application is just not numbers. It requires preparation and meticulous organization so you can advertise yourself best on the application. These things all need to be done well, so if you can't focus your attention in all areas 100% I would absolutely wait until the next cycle. It is better to put your best foot forward during your first application cycle rather than working to rewrite your entire application as a reapplicant. Do it right the first time.
Ahh yes completely forgot about the PS, I'll add that to my response. Thanks!

Also super jealous about you going to Colorado, would have loved to apply there! My favorite state!

Ahh yes completely forgot about the PS, I'll add that to my response. Thanks!

Also super jealous about you going to Colorado, would have loved to apply there! My favorite state!

Not a problem!!! I am pretty stoked about Colorado! I am so grateful!!! It is quite an amazing place :) Truly love the student atmosphere on campus too

App looks great, as long as you can self study (your gpa suggests that you can) you should honestly be fine.

What year are you?

You definitely don't have to have all the pre reqs done before applying, but the more the better. Some schools also require biochem so if you haven't taken orgo 2 yet then I doubt you've taken that.

That being said, you seem to be a sharp girl given your gpa, so studying for the dat shouldn't be too bad especially since you'll just be finishing orgo. Some people take 3 weeks to study and do well. I took three months. All depends on your background.

Couple things:
  • You're grades are good, so you'll get in somewhere. The earlier you apply, the better chances you'll have to get into a more desirable school. Some schools only interview pre december 1st. So if you end up having to push your DAT back into August, then you may be shooting yourself in the foot for these schools.
  • Have you already asked your professors/dentist for letters of recommendation and collected them? If not, better get to asking. Some take a frustratingly long time to get back to you.
  • How opposed are you to taking a gap year? I'm assuming you're a junior right now. I'm in my gap year at the moment and love it. Making some money and traveling all over the world. Not sure I'd ever have the chance to do this again, plus I felt like I'd burn out if I went straight into D school from undergrad.
  • You should take a practice DAT test to see where you are and gauge how much you need to study. I believe the first practice test from Bootcamp is free. So that would be a good place to start.
Overall: Decide whether or not you want to take a gap year. If no, then I would immediately start studying for the DAT (lots of random bio things you need to know), start AADSAS app when it opens, request letters and upload or have them sent to AADSAS, write and upload personal statement, apply to schools, finish orgo, take dat, send unofficial score report to schools while waiting for official report to be uploaded, and then hopefully start the interview process. In that order.

If you want to take a gap year, then I would just take a breath and space all that stuff out until applying in the next cycle.

Thanks so much for this thorough response! It's nice to hear from someone who is in a gap year. I'm not wanting a gap year, but will take one if it absolutely comes down to it.

Last edited:
Apply this cycle. Don't wait. Your application sounds really strong already. Be prepared to answer questions about why you waited so long to take the DAT and had to apply late in your interviews but as long as you have a good answer for that you'll be fine.

A 17 DAT would really hurt your application though. You need an 18/19 minimum. With my application I needed a higher score but yours looks stronger than mine in all other areas, and I got in at UI.

Really, it just depends on whether you have a particular school in mind or if you just want to get in anywhere. If you don't care, just apply. You will most likely get in somewhere with your application as is. Even with a 17 DAT.

If you do want to go to a few particular schools (especially OOS), then you have to think about your financial situation. The DAT is $400(?). Applications are about $100/school. Interviews range wildly based on many factors but it's expensive regardless.

If you rush the DAT and apply this cycle it could all be for naught if you don't get in anywhere you want to go. That's roughly $2000+ down the drain to retake the DAT and start over next year.

In conclusion, I would recommend you study your A$$ off for the DAT until your practice tests are showing 20/21 at least. Take the DAT and apply if you're happy with your score based on where you want to go.

If not, take that gap year and work and volunteer and gain experience in the field. Heck, become a certified dental assistant in 12(?) weeks (mostly night and weekend classes I think so you can work during) and gain some great experience while working in your desired field.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much for this thorough response! It's nice to hear from someone who is in a gap year. I'm not wanting a gap year, but will take one if it absolutely comes down to it. I think I'll be content with a 17 DAT (hopefully I can raise it through studying) and 4.0 GPA - maybe they'll balance each other out.
Absolutely do not be content with a 17 DAT... honestly a 17 dat with a 4.0 is worse than a 17 DAT with a 3.2

Reactions: 1 user