MD & DO Should I apply or wait? What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zivabrice22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all! I would appreciate some advice as there's a void in pre-health advising at my university at the moment.

Scripps College, Claremont CA graduating 2019
Major: Human Biology & Cross-Cultural Health; Minor: Spanish
Female, white, 21 y.o.
Southern CA resident
cGPA: 3.71/ sGPA: 3.29

Goal Schools: Anything in SoCal, ideally UCI, UCSD

MCAT: N/A-- I'm taking a Kaplan course over summer with test date Aug 18

Research/Experience: Marine biology lab (3 years), Infectious disease and microbiology research at UCI (Summer 2016), Volunteer/shadow with Plasticos Foundation (reconstructive surgery) on 10 day trip to Cuba, shadowed UCI plastic surgery dept (60 hrs), shadowed OBGYN (20 hrs), going on CFHI trip to Ecuador this summer for 4 weeks to shadow OBGYN.
*no publications with research

Trying to shadow more/volunteer at a hospital this summer and next year

Extracurriculars: Study abroad in traditional medicine and public health in Chile (internship at mental health center), Coordinator at university's Camp Kesem chapter, Founding member of roller derby team, DJ at college radio station, play music and paint in free time

I want to pursue a master's for my own interest and to boost my sGPA. My #1 goal for MS program right now is USC Global Health in the clinical track. This would help greatly as the clinical track students take 1st year med school courses alongside med students, proving that they are capable of the rigor.

My main question is if my MCAT score is good and I continue to show an upward trend in my science courses next year...Is it wise for me to apply to Masters and MD/DO simultaneously (interview, etc. during my year long MS)? Or should I wait until AFTER completing a MS and have stronger stats?

Additionally: any other MS programs recommended for someone interested in raising sGPA but also interested in global med/public health/med anthro?

Members don't see this ad.