Should I apply to post bad next year or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncmedfi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior in undergrad that decided just this year that MD is the health path I want to go on. I am interested in the career changer programs at schools such as Bryn Mawr, JHU, Goucher I have only taken 1 Chem and had a not great grade of a b- but have a's in some other non-premed science such as anatomy among others. I qualify for these programs pre-req wise. I am wondering if I have a chance of getting in as a college senior or if I should continue down my current path which is to apply for Teach for America for after graduation then apply after the conclusion of my program?

- I am a Health Science major and will graduate with approx. a 3.7 cGPA.
- I will have great LOR from professors as well as MD's.
-I have experience as a research assistant
- and will have probably 100+ MD shadow hours (I already have 60).
- Will also by the time I apply have hopefully another 100 hours of hospital volunteer work
- I have received numerous scholarships in the health field

I have a lot of EC's
- a year as a D1 athlete
-started and ran my own club
- manage a sports team
- coach youth volleyball
- a resident assistant
- supervisor of a biometrics lab
- student note taker
- Music

Members don't see this ad.

If you are asking about whether you should apply to career changer post-bac programs right now or wait until after TFA that is a call you have to make. Do you think TFA is worth the 2 year commitment to delay pursuing your goals? The answer could easily be yes for valid reasons. It could just as easily be no. Only you can decide that.

As for whether or not you have a chance, sure you have a chance. 3.7 is around the average GPA at top post-bacc programs. Keep in mind if you don't get into one of those the DIY post-bacc option at your local state school is also perfectly fine.

Thank you for your reply! I mostly wondered if being a senior would hurt me since they often prefer older students. However, I will probably pursue TFA regardless of acceptance I am just currently trying to make that decision before TFA's early application deadline.