Should I be concerned that I haven't gotten an interview yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foresterfred

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a decent application I think. The only thing was that I wasn't able to finish sending in my application until mid July. I realize that isn't the earliest date to submit, but it isn't late right? I'm starting to get worried so if anyone could give me more information or direct me to something that would tell me about when I may receive information about a possible interview. Do they send rejection emails if you didn't even get an interview? please help!

Members don't see this ad.

21 on the DAT, 3.6 GPA.
U Pitt, VCU, UNC, UCONN, TUFTS to name a few

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your state of residence?

I only have 1 interview, out of 13. I'm freaking out as well.

21 on the DAT, 3.6 GPA.

UCONN is pretty tough for OOS I think. Last year my friend in school got in with insane stats, 3.9GPA and 27 DAT. And UNC and U pitt are also quiet competitive according to many threads on sdn.
TUFTS just begins to sending out interviews and probably would send out a lot of post-dec interviews because of its large class size. Didn't apply to VCU, so no idea about that school.
Keep patience and don't lose hope. I think your stats get you pretty good chance to at least Tufts and U pitt, and definitely your other schools not listed! At least I know U pitts haven't filled out their interview seats before November yet.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't consider mid July to be that late, that's when I applied. Some schools you mentioned in your list are difficult if you're OOS, and some just started interviewing.

21 on the DAT, 3.6 GPA.

Should name all of them. UNC UCONN are extremely to get into OOS even with interviews. UPitt and VCU are more OOS friendly. However the last on your list, Tufts is probably the easier one to get into but no guarantees.

I'm from MA but i go to school in NC. I'm a little more concerned with not knowing right now. It seems like a lot of people are getting interviews already, and I haven't heard back from any schools. Is it still early in the season? Can someone explain how the waves work?
Thanks for all the help!

I'm from MA but i go to school in NC. I'm a little more concerned with not knowing right now. It seems like a lot of people are getting interviews already, and I haven't heard back from any schools. Is it still early in the season? Can someone explain how the waves work?
Thanks for all the help!

For your question, is it early in the season? No if you are looking for pre-dec invites. But yes in terms of application cycle. The cycle does not end for some schools till June. People get plucked off waitlists etc etc.

We are reaching closer and closer to the end of the month of october. If within the next two weeks you still dont get any invites you might not get any pre-dec interviews. Meaning you wont get to learn on Dec 1st whether you are accepted or not.

If that happens it means you will depend on post-dec invites which Im sure you will get. Many many people get into schools post-dec. The only school I know for sure that will not extend a post-dec invite is Uconn.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a decent application I think. The only thing was that I wasn't able to finish sending in my application until mid July. I realize that isn't the earliest date to submit, but it isn't late right? I'm starting to get worried so if anyone could give me more information or direct me to something that would tell me about when I may receive information about a possible interview. Do they send rejection emails if you didn't even get an interview? please help!

Reality check: everyone who is competitive has a "decent" application. If you don't have an interview by now you have probably been sifted out of the majority of schools, especially small OOS classes.

Start working on your application for next cycle.

I would say if you applied to schools like Tufts and Midwestern who just started interviewing their first invites then you aren't in a bad place. There are a few schools like NYU who are also still giving out pre-dec interviews where you can still have a chance. So don't feel discouraged. Mid July is actually still early imo. September is definitely where it gets late! But keep your head up... some pre December but definitely post decembers along with the app cycle are still well underway.

Reality check: everyone who is competitive has a "decent" application. If you don't have an interview by now you have probably been sifted out of the majority of schools, especially small OOS classes.

Start working on your application for next cycle.

So then will I get a letter or email that I have been sifted out from those schools? Or do they just let me sit there?

So then will I get a letter or email that I have been sifted out from those schools? Or do they just let me sit there?
You haven't been sifted out. It's just they might not be interested at the moment. So many people hear back in November with apps complete in June. Take SDN with a grain of salt and just try to be patient. I know its very hard but honestly interviews can roll in anytime. People wait 3 weeks or 3 months and there's no telling. If you don't have an official rejection, you aren't rejected and they can still extend an invite to you.

You haven't been sifted out. It's just they might not be interested at the moment. So many people hear back in November with apps complete in June. Take SDN with a grain of salt and just try to be patient. I know its very hard but honestly interviews can roll in anytime. People wait 3 weeks or 3 months and there's no telling. If you don't have an official rejection, you aren't rejected and they can still extend an invite to you.

Thank you for your help everyone! I think what would bother me most is simply not knowing. I figure if i got an interview but didn't get in, I would get an email. But do they send rejections for interviews as well?

Thank you for your help everyone! I think what would bother me most is simply not knowing. I figure if i got an interview but didn't get in, I would get an email. But do they send rejections for interviews as well?

Only a few schools will send an email rejecting you without interview early on. Not all of them do this. Your stats look solid enough, even if you don't get a pre-december interview I'm sure you'll receive one later on.

Cool. So I guess my new questions would be: Let's say I don't get any interviews by the end of October, does that mean I will not be in the first wave of acceptances which I have come to understand is in december? If so, then am I just in the new pool which is post december? or do I have to re-apply to my schools that I didn't get "rejected" from? Also, what is month of the next wave of acceptances?

Cool. So I guess my new questions would be: Let's say I don't get any interviews by the end of October, does that mean I will not be in the first wave of acceptances which I have come to understand is in december? If so, then am I just in the new pool which is post december? or do I have to re-apply to my schools that I didn't get "rejected" from? Also, what is month of the next wave of acceptances?
Some schools do end up giving interviews in November for a couple weeks out or end of November dates but.. I think largely, if you don't get interviews by the end of October you're looking at post-dec. Well you can't reapply until the next cycle officially opens. The next wave of acceptances are on one date, December 1st. After that, schools give interviews and acceptances out at their discretion.

You won't have to reapply after 12/1, but some schools may send out emails asking if applicants who are on their short list to receive post-December interviews are interested in staying on it. A lot of people on the list may have gotten into a school they prefer over the one sending the email, so its an easy way for them to shorten the list of potential candidates. Only a few schools do this though, whereas most of the others just keep moving down their list without you needing to do anything else.

There aren't any "big" waves like 12/1, as it kind of becomes rolling admissions after that. There are time frames for people to claim their acceptances, and people who get an acceptance between 12/1 and 1/31 get 30 days to respond. This does not prevent people from putting down deposits at multiple schools, however. The next "big" wave will be in early April, where you are forced to withdraw multiple acceptances and choose just one school - so this results in the next big movement for schools as a whole.