Should I be excited about this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Est2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I applied to University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS). They recently sent me an email with my ID and password (generated by them) to access the "GUS" -Gateway for UAMS Students. According to them, here I can see my application status and keep track of the documents they have received. I know it sounds foolish, but I got very excited of being able to access the "student portal". However, I realized that this could only be a plain site for all applicants and that it probably meant nothing! Can anyone who has applied here tell me if I should be excited about this? Your two cents is highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I applied to University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS). They recently sent me an email with my ID and password (generated by them) to access the "GUS" -Gateway for UAMS Students. According to them, here I can see my application status and keep track of the documents they have received. I know it sounds foolish, but I got very excited of being able to access the "student portal". However, I realized that this could only be a plain site for all applicants and that it probably meant nothing! Can anyone who has applied here tell me if I should be excited about this? Your two cents is highly appreciated.

If that is an actual photo of you I would suggest changing it, anonymity is important on this site for various reasons and in your best interest. That is my only $0.02 as I have not applied to this school but if you have not even interviewed there yet which is the impression I am getting then don't be too excited. Sounds like just a standard secondary application portal.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Serial killing aside, it sounds like the standard secondary application portal. You could look in the school-specific thread and check.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I do not believe there is a single MD school in the united states that sends acceptances before interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
conclusion as to where That non interviewed matriculants come from can not be established from this data. dont ascribe assumptions and presume that they are fact
This is true. One could question the accuracy of the data itself since its self reported survey of information from matriculants.

Reactions: 1 user
12,000+ respondents out of a total demographic of 20,000 would suggest that sample is representative. additionally dismissing a single item in a questionaire schedule without underlying basis for doing so reflects more on the bias of the user of the data rather than the data itself.
I was just implying self reported anonymous surveys are notoriously bad, not the representative nature of the sampling. People tend to lie on them , misunderstand the question, or purposely answer incorrectly. But you are correct, perhaps the applicants is a superstar for that school and they decided to send her an acceptance pre-II. I will however, maintain a healthy amount of skepticism.

Last edited: